Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

Can someone please help me get these wads to work together?

I have very limited editing skills (almost none). Can someone please help me to get the Smoother Weapons wad working with the psx hud wad? Maybe some way to combine them so they don't conflict with each other?

I want to play using the psx hud for doom and the pk_weapports smoother weapons pack. The problem is that they don't seem to want to work together.

The number keys or next weapon/previous weapons commands don't work, so I can't change weapons either.

The ammo is always at "0". It never accurately displays the correct amount of ammo.

Posted about it around a year ago before but never got any luck.

I can't figure out how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas?

Is there maybe a way to combine them both into a single wad or pk3? One that works.

psx hud
Thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.ph...=16480&start=30
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?2cttyq2zzw2

Smoother weapons
Thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-ed...tions-released/
Download: http://www.perkristian.net/misc/pk_weapons_dd.wad

Zdoom version: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/qDIPlvq1wD/pk-weapports.zip

I'm using the latest version of gzdoom btw if it matters.

Thanks for any help I get.

Well, the pk_weapons_dd.wad that you linked seems to be for Doomsday, not ZDoom, and it does nothing when I test in GZDoom.

The PSX HUD seems to work fine on its own, as well as with the above WAD, which again, has no effect on it.

I imagine that there's a ZDoom version of Perkristian's smoother weapons available, but the link to the forum thread you posted is mangled, and I can't be assed to look for it myself. If there isn't an existing ZDoom version, I guess I could whip up a quick DECORATE lump for you, but in that case, I'm not sure what the hell would be causing the problems you noted.

Sorry. I should have payed more attention and realized it was an old link.

The link that KiiiYiiiKiiiA posted is the correct version that should work with zdoom.

Both work fine on their own. But they don't want to play nice together though.

I just checked out the conflicts, and it looks like the waepon selection issue is because the PSX mod remaps the Doom weapons to different keys, while Perkristian's mod uses a custom player class to assign the weapons; these two approaches don't seem to like each other.

If you don't care about the PSX mod's remapping of the weapons, the simplest fix for that should be to just delete the KEYCONF lump from PSXHUD.PK3, which will allow you to switch weapons again.

The ammo counter still stays at zero though, and I suspect it might be controlled via ACS in the PSX mod, but I didn't check yet. I'll let you know next time I get some time to check it out.

"If you don't care about the PSX mod's remapping of the weapons, the simplest fix for that should be to just delete the KEYCONF lump from PSXHUD.PK3, which will allow you to switch weapons again"

Yeah I tried that already. Can't remember if it fixed the weapon switching part though. Probably did.

Thanks for looking into it.

Well, it certainly fixed the weapon switching for me when I tested it earlier today. I'm still gonna see if I can figure out how the ACS works, though.

I suspect that it uses the standard weapon names ("Pistol", "Shotgun", etc.) somewhere important, and changing those to the Perkristian versions ("PerkPistol", "PerkShotgun", etc.) and recompiling the ACS will let it count the ammo properly, but I haven't had a chance to check yet.

Okay, so yeah, I got the two to play nicely together. Like I guessed, all you should need to do is (slightly) edit and then recompile the ACS in PSXHUD.PK3.

If you know how to do so (or are willing to figure it out), then crack open the PK3, and find the following array in PSXHUD.ACS:

str weapons[9] = {
	"Fist",
	"Chainsaw",
	"Pistol",
	"Shotgun",
	"SuperShotgun",
	"Chaingun",
	"RocketLauncher",
	"PlasmaRifle",
	"BFG9000"
};
Change it to the following (just adding 'Perk' before each weapon name):
str weapons[9] = {
	"PerkFist",
	"PerkChainsaw",
	"PerkPistol",
	"PerkShotgun",
	"PerkSuperShotgun",
	"PerkChaingun",
	"PerkRocketLauncher",
	"PerkPlasmaRifle",
	"PerkBFG9000"
};
Save the changes, and recompile the ACS with the ZDoom version of ACC, naming the output object file 'PSXHUD.O'. Make sure that PSXHUD.O is in the ACS/ directory of the PK3, and make sure the KEYCONF lump is removed too, as I mentioned earlier.

This should fix both the ammo counter and weapon selection problems you mentioned. I tested it as described above for about 15 minutes, and I don't think there are any other side effects, so you should be okay.

Note that this will make the PSX HUD's ammo counter work with Perkristian's smooth weapons only; the ammo count will then stay at '0' for the standard weapons, so you might want to make sure to autoload both mods, or to keep two seperate versions of PSXHUD.PK3 to load depending on whether or not you are using the smoother weapons. I can't think of a simpler non-trivial way to make the ammo count work with both the base weapons, and the smoother versions, but someone more experienced in HUD/weapon mods (or ACS/DECORATE in general) might.

I will assume that you can manage to edit and recompile the ACS yourself in this case, but if you have any problems doing so, I can probably help you out. If you can't figure it out, I can also upload the fix to MediaFire or something, too.

[edit: If you want them compiled as a single PK3 (as mentioned in the topic post), I could likely do that too, but it would probably be simpler to keep them seperate. Your call. ]

Awesome! Thank you so much.

I have opened up and poked around pk3 and wad files using slade. Never tried compiling anything with it though. Just sloppily rigged a wad to use the blood splatter from legacy of suffering.

How would I go about compiling in slade?

I do autoload them.

It would be awesome if they were combined into one wad. If I didn't want to use one or the other for some reason I could already just load them separately already. As a single wad would be great. Then hopefully I could learn to edit it more to add a couple other features, like the legacy of suffering blood splatters, I've been trying to figure out to it so I could have just one custom wad to load instead of several.

Thanks again.

*edit*
Just downloaded acc150win from the zdoom site, but it doesn't want to start. Doesn't seem to have any documentation either.

**edit**
Ok. Just tried it again. Figured out I needed to run scc in a command prompt. Used slade to change the acs. Exported it to a acs file. Compiled it with psxhud.o as the output. Imported the acs and psxhud.o back into the pk3 using slade. Didn't work though.

The only other thing is that I renamed the psxhud.pk3 to pkwpsxhud.pk3. Would that make a difference? Would I have to change anything internally just because I renamed the main file itself?

***edit***
Ok. Turns out I did do it right. I just forgot autoload the pk_weapports.wad as well. Works great! Can't believe I couldn't get any help on this a year ago. Thank again.

So how would I go about trying to combine them? and maybe adding some other small wads to is like the psx sound fx pk3 I have and blood splatters from legacy of suffering wad I made?

No, renaming the PK3 itself should be fine.

I think SLADE3 can compile them by right-clicking on the ACS lump and going "ACS -> Compile", or something to that effect, but you'll probably have to point it to where your ACC is located (via the preferences). I just compile my stuff straight from the command line.

I'm not sure what went wrong for you though, based on what you said. I compiled it like this:

acc psxhud.acs psxhud.o
and then just copied the .o and .acs files back into the PK3 where the originals were.

In any case, if you still want them merged into a single working PK3, you can download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fxvdzbviayu9iah/PERK-PSX.PK3

Hopefully that should work for you, at least. :)

In case you're still wondering about how to combine things like this yourself, there are a few things to keep in mind. Firstly, since the projects use different archive types (WAD vs PK3), you should decide which to use; I chose PK3 for this because it would result in a smaller file, and it's usually easier to copy a WAD's contents into a PK3 than it is to do the reverse.

You should then check to see if there are conflicts between the two, such as in graphics or DECORATE definitions; aside from tweaking the ACS HUD and removing the PSX KEYCONF, nothing really needed to be done here.

Assuming everything works properly, you can then just copy the lumps from one file to another; I did this by keeping both open in seperate tabs within SLADE 3, and using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to move the stuff across. Since PK3 files use a different structure than normal WADs, it's helpful to check this page for info on how to place different types of lumps. In this case, I added a SPRITES directory to the PK3 for the weapon sprites, and put the new DECORATE and KEYCONF lumps into the root directory.

There's not much more to it.

THanks for the merged wad.

How do you merge them, just copy and paste the parts of acs that you want from different wads into one single acs and put it in a single wad with all the resources?

Whoops, I edited my previous post before looking at your response. If you haven't already, see the last few paragraphs.

Only the PSX HUD mod used any ACS, here, so it didn't have to be changed at all, except to recognize the new weapons in the ammo counting function.

If perkristian's mod had ACS in it too, you would need to make sure that they didn't conflict by using the same script numbers, variable names, or things like that, but you probably wouldn't really need to hack them apart or copy and paste them together, or anything.

At least I think you can use LOADACS to load multiple object lumps. I might be wrong on that.

Though I suppose if you know what you're doing, and you only want certain scripts and/or functions from another project's ACS, you can certainly insert snippets of them into other stuff to make a combined mod.

I was wondering. If the solution to getting the smooth weapons and the psx hud to work together was to edit the psx hud to use "perkfist", "perkpistol" etc like the smooth weapons does, could it also be done in reverse? As in edit the smooth weapons to use "pistol" instead of "perkpistol"?

I figured since I would likely to use the smooth weapons wad a bit more than the psx hud since quite a few of my favorite wads already have custom huds, maybe it would make more sense to make the smooth weapons wad more compatible.

For instance, I have combined the master levels into a single wad and want to set it up so each level automatically begins with only the fist and pistol. My understanding is that if I use the smooth weapons wad, then I have to setup the pistol start in the master levels wad I made to read "perkpistol". If I wanted to play the master levels without the smooth weapons for some reason, then the pistol start wouldn't work. Am I correct?

As far as I know, this can't be done so easily, because it's not possible to directly replace or modify the Doom weapon actors (ie. "Pistol") without replacing it with a new actor with a different name. Well, it might be possible, but if so, it's beyond my knowledge. And I'd assume it's hairy.

As it is now, the smooth weapons shouldn't conflict with the majority of replacement HUDs; the problem was the fact that the PSX HUD uses an ACS script to draw the ammo counts, and that script is hard coded with the original weapon actor names. If some other ACS HUDs conflict the same way, I think it'd be easier to modify them to work with the new weapons, not the other way around.

What have you done to enable the pistol starts that would require such changes, anyhow? Are you using some ACS script to strip the weapons and reset the health or something?

There are a couple of MAPINFO properties that should be a much better choice: resethealth and resetinventory. Try adding those to every map definition in the master levels WAD. As far as I can tell, they'll work with the smooth weapons the need for any changes.

The first one will set your health to 100 upon the start of the map, and the second one will reduce you to fist, pistol, and 50 bullets.

Mithran Denizen said:

What have you done to enable the pistol starts that would require such changes, anyhow? Are you using some ACS script to strip the weapons and reset the health or something?

There are a couple of MAPINFO properties that should be a much better choice: resethealth and resetinventory. Try adding those to every map definition in the master levels WAD. As far as I can tell, they'll work with the smooth weapons the need for any changes.

The first one will set your health to 100 upon the start of the map, and the second one will reduce you to fist, pistol, and 50 bullets.

I haven't actually added the pistol start to the wad yet. I was looking around for how to do it and came across this thread:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22518

It mentions one way to force pistol starts and also mentions that it conflicts with the smooth weapons.

Mithran Denizen said:

Yeah, that thread itself mentions that doing so via the MAPINFO method from my previous post would be a better solution.

Guess I missed that. I'll give clearinventory and resethealth later tonight or tomorrow. Do I just insert it in the mapinfo or do I have to do compiling too?

Thanks Mithran for all your help in this thread and my other one. I know a lot/most/all the info I have been looking for can be found in the zdoom wiki, but I have a had time finding and understanding a lot of it the way it is presented in the wiki.

No problem :)

Yeah, you just have to put the properties inside the MAPINFO definitions for each map that you want to force a pistol start in; you don't need to compile it like you do ACS.

Here's an example of the first map definition in my master levels compilation, with the last two lines being what you're looking for:

map MASTER01 lookup "MHUSTR_01"
{
   next = "MASTER02"
   secretnext = "MASTER21"
   sky1 = "SKY1"
   cluster = 15
   music = "$MUSIC_RUNNIN"
   resetinventory
   resethealth
}
Just make sure you do it for all of the levels that need it, not just the first one in the episode.

On a bit of a tangent, I recall that I couldn't get one of the two properties (I don't remember which one) to work properly in the official ZDoom version that introduced it (2.5.0, I think? Maybe 2.4.0?), but it was fixed in subsequent SVN builds. If it won't work, you should make sure that you are using at least ZDoom r2377, as that's the earliest revision that I successfully tested it with.

Mithran Denizen said:

On a bit of a tangent, I recall that I couldn't get one of the two properties (I don't remember which one) to work properly in the official ZDoom version that introduced it (2.5.0, I think? Maybe 2.4.0?), but it was fixed in subsequent SVN builds. If it won't work, you should make sure that you are using at least ZDoom r2377, as that's the earliest revision that I successfully tested it with.

I'm actually using the latest version of gzdoom