Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Really now, what is the source of this image?

I've seen this image tossed around the web quite a bit with a bunch of twelve year olds claiming it's Doom 4. Now obviously it's not, but what IS it from? It looks pretty interesting.

I'm not certain, but I think it's just a fan model by some Russian guy.

If this TinEye result is any indication, it might've been made by some chap named Alexey Aristov in 2005.

[edit: nevermind, that text is in the pic you linked, too. Oh well.]

that looks more like a strogg. they had that nasty habit of cutting up people and fusing them with machines. also, his legs resemble tank jr's. doom zombies are undead, not cybernetically upgraded.

Torr Samaho said:

doom zombies are undead

Possessed, actually. I don't remember anything saying they were undead.

I guess their undeath is preferable to thinking there's still a human consciousness prisoner of these bodies and unable to retake control, with no other hope than to be gruesomely put out of their misery by the Doomguy.

well, the fat zombie looks pretty dead with his guts hanging out and being eaten by other zombies. also the flaming ones.

And the zombies that have no heads (just basically a neck stump and part of a jaw). Don't forget those.

I've seen that pic a long time ago... maybe a year or two by now. It actually looks more like an action figure.

geo said:

I've seen that pic a long time ago... maybe a year or two by now. It actually looks more like an action figure.

Yeah, it doesn't really convey any sense of movement. It's sort of jut frozen there, looking really stiff. I'm reminded of another so-called "Doom 4" image that has been floating around for awhile:

I really, really like this one, because not only does it look genuinely creepy, but it seems hairy, fleshy; very organic! I would love to see this level of detail in the real Doom 4.

I've seen that pic on Deviant Art somewhere. Its great.

As for the supposed Doom 4 thing... it looks like an action figure someone made. A good action figure still.

Megamur said:

And the zombies that have no heads (just basically a neck stump and part of a jaw). Don't forget those.

not to even mention those skeleton looking guys from RoE... err, I think it was later in the game before going to hell, cant remember which labs though.

Just flashing orange and stuff.

Seeing as this has been brought up again, I always thought that creature would fit into the Quake 2/4 universe much better than Doom.

EDIT:-

GoatLord said:

Yeah, it doesn't really convey any sense of movement. It's sort of jut frozen there, looking really stiff.

It looks like it's trying to force out the biggest crap it ever took.

Mithran Denizen said:

I'm not certain, but I think it's just a fan model by some Russian guy.

If this TinEye result is any indication, it might've been made by some chap named Alexey Aristov in 2005.

It is, I got a better result from a name search.

The twelve year olds are half-right - According to Google Translate, it's inspired by Doom 3 and is the modelers impression of what the Doom 4 cyberdemon could look like.

Yeah, I remember this being brought up around here a while ago.

If the biological part of that beast was human I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I can't say for certain it is. Would help if there was something else in the pictures we could use to determine it's size.

killer2 said:

Cyberdemon?!Really now,that thing is to small to be even a baby cyberdemon!

There's nothing in that picture to compare it to except the textures of the walls, in which case (assuming they are 1:1), this creature would be huge.

Megalyth said:

There's nothing in that picture to compare it to except the textures of the walls, in which case (assuming they are 1:1), this creature would be huge.

There's a pipe on the wall and the floor texture is basically just grates. I highly doubt you'd see holes that huge in any structure. It looks human sized to me.

Membrain said:

There's a pipe on the wall and the floor texture is basically just grates. I highly doubt you'd see holes that huge in any structure. It looks human sized to me.

I agree

I didn't mean huge as in "Doom3 Guardian" huge, more like "Quake2 Tank" huge.

I also noticed the grating. What crossed my mind is that textures in Doom3 (and other brush-based games) can be stretched and scaled to fit on any given face of the brush or patch that you're working with, so there's no way to tell if any of the textures are 1:1.

We're also assuming that whoever slapped that showcase room together took scale into account. The pipe on the wall could be large enough for the player to stand in, for all we know (but it probably isn't). There's no point of reference. The grating could be stretched, or the wall textures could be shrunken, there's really no way to tell for sure without acquiring the original map file. I'd like to see the Doom3 marine standing next to him, just to find out for sure. I'd bet that thing is at least 10 feet tall.

Who knows, I could be wrong. But that's highly unlikely, because I'm always right. ;)