Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

What are some great wads?

Some sort of preferences or previous .WADs you've enjoyed might be a good idea for this sort of thread.

Phobus said:

Some sort of preferences or previous .WADs you've enjoyed might be a good idea for this sort of thread.

Yeah exactly they aren't gonna be great WADS unless the person who's playing likes them

A list of megawads/multi-map sets I've played/enjoyed:

10 Sectors (play the first one)
2002: A Doom Odyssey (kind of a mixed bag IMO but I really liked episode 3)
Claustrophobia 1024 (some very well done levels in here)
Community Chest 3 (some great maps in here also)
Doom 2 Reloaded (starts off kinda odd but it is actually very good)
Double Impact (fairly solid E1 replacement)
Eternal Doom (very long and atmospheric)
Hell Revealed (extremely tough)
Hell Revealed II (also very tough)
KMega1 (Kurt Kesler's first 18 maps, vanilla compatible)
Memento Mori (the godfather of megawads)
Memento Mori II (just as good if not better)
No Rest For The Wicked (a pretty good mapset)
Number One Kill: The Next Generation (20 maps of mostly good stuff, gets kinda hectic in places)
Operation: BIOWAR (classic)
Plutonia 2 (great fun in cooperative)
Perdition's Gate (an enjoyable Doom II game)
Phobos: Relive The Nightmare (slick reinterpretation of E1 for D2)
Requiem (yet another classic to not be missed)
Sector 666 (great maps and music, very 90s)
The Darkening: The Nameless Project (another classic)
The Darkening Episode 2 (excellent sequel)
The Twilight Zone (very fun megawad)
UAC Ultra (really cool mapset with great textures to boot)
Vengeance (underrated gem, full UDoom replacement, later episodes get better)

Yeah, I really need to play more megawads but I can wholeheartedly say these are worth the time investing.

I hate Claustrophobia 1024 with a burning passion... gameplay got very tedious, and outside of a few maps, the layouts seemed very forced.

Surprised no one has mentioned Alien Vendetta so far, as it's what I'd consider a masterpiece, with some very sinister and atmospheric levels.

Icarus is another one which is very cool.

Also I'd recommend Scythe, as well as Scythe 2, although I personally prefer the first Scythe... more action packed!

All for vanilla Doom:

Dark Covenant
Aliens TC
School Doom
Barons & Beyond
Invasion (oggi.wad)
Akce Korian
njdoom (or njdoom2)

It's practically criminal that no one has mentioned Suspended in Dusk yet. Or Back to Basics. Or CH-Retro. Or the High/Low series. Go to the "levels" section on the homepage, search by author, and type in "Espi" and Chris(Christian) Hansen. Both outstanding mappers in my book.

Eternal Doom, Scythe 1-2-X, Congestion 1024, Claustrophobia 1024-1024 2, Epic-Epic 2, Stronghold: On the egde of Chaos, Super Sonic Doom, Hell to pay, Dimensions of Time, Equinox, Kama Sutra Doom, NewDoom Community Project 1-2, Community Chest 1-2-3 (and 4 coming soon), NeoDoom, Oniria 1-2, Paranoid, Phobos, Earth, Realm of Chaos, Mars War, STRAIN, Torment and Torture series...

and finally, Katamori 1024 =)

What are some great "casual" DOOM WADs? Apparently Icarus is considered "casual," and that's one of my favorite WADs of all time. I'm really tired of all these "must-play" WADs that just kick your teeth in with difficulty.

Megamur said:

What are some great "casual" DOOM WADs? Apparently Icarus is considered "casual," and that's one of my favorite WADs of all time. I'm really tired of all these "must-play" WADs that just kick your teeth in with difficulty.

Marswar, Vile, D2Reload, Insrtion.

!

Can't believe I forgot to mention that. I was just looking through the WADs I got (disregarding single maps) to write my list. I haven't played the latest version yet. Still got it rared. If it isn't already outdated.

And yes Unloved, but if it's too hard then I recommend skill 2, which is what I played on and it felt just right.

Megamur said:

If your a fan of that space travel theme and fun gameplay, then go for STRAIN. It's like MM meets Icarus, only with custom monsters which were designed by the team, and (for once) were very tastefully done. I recommended Base Ganymede previously, which is pretty good, but IMO STRAIN is alot more fun to play.

I tried Base Ganymede, but actually felt it was starting to get a little too hard by M5. I honestly wasn't sure how you're supposed to beat that Cyberdemon. You're given so little maneuvering room to work with.

I really, really ought to play STRAIN at some point, largely if only because Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath--the co-authors of my eternally beloved Serenity series--worked on it.

UAC Ultra and the Harris Levels, just for kicks. BUt no really, UAC Ultra is pretty good. And Gothic99 in my own opinion.

I just finished replaying RTC-3057's first hub this week, and it's one of my favorites to make fairly heavy use of advanced engine features.

There are some downsides that go along with the way the maps are put together, but it's still a solid experience.

Here are some of my favourite wads, it is very good, you may have a try!

Wads I have max on and it's on DSDA:

Original doom PWADS(I think you should know that)
Hell Revealed 1 and 2(Very hard but fun)
Alien Vendetta(Nice design in most maps, not as hard as HR and HR2)
Whispers of Satan(Very nice design of ceiling and teleporting system)
Speed of Doom(Ultra hard wad with lots of tricky secrets to reveal)
Killing Adventure(Must have a try, j4rio like it a lot)
REQUIEM(hmmm........nice)
Scythe(Short maps, not very hard if good used to it)
Scythe 2(Not too hard at the 1st half, after map22 it's a madness!!! 2 new monsters are welcoming you)
Plutonia 2(Reinforced Plutonia Experiment)
Community Chest 2 and 3(Nice wad)
Vile Flesh(Base theme maps, not very hard)
2002 A Doom Odyssey(Reinforced Ultimate Doom)

Wads that I got but doens't max on yet:

Revolution!(Very easy wad, but dark)
Community Chest 1(About the skills as Cchest2 and 3)
Twilight Zone 1 and 2(Good wad for noobs, too easy!!!)
Sunder(Ultra Crazy wad with 1000+ monsters in most maps, professional doomers like it a lot)
New Gothic(Super Crazy wad even harder than Sunder, lots of BFG spam and infighting)
Momento Mori 1 and 2(I think it's good)
Strain(New monsters, new weapons)
Plutonia Revisited Community Project(Should also known as Plutonia 3)
New Doom Community Project(Large and Complex, not hard)
1monster(1 monster in each map)
UAC Ultra(UAC theme wad but quite hard, Kimovirus got some good demos)
Kama Sutra(Very hard wad, worth to play with if you are professional)
yourmom(Penis map???)
Deus Vult 1 and 2(Very beautiful design, but super crazy just like New Gothic, maps are large and complex too)
DWANGO5(I think it's good)
Fava Beans(Havn't play yet, should be a Ultimate doom wad)

etc.

Megamur said:

I tried Base Ganymede, but actually felt it was starting to get a little too hard by M5. I honestly wasn't sure how you're supposed to beat that Cyberdemon. You're given so little maneuvering room to work with.

I really, really ought to play STRAIN at some point, largely if only because Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath--the co-authors of my eternally beloved Serenity series--worked on it.

Alot of really great authors worked on it, including Andy Badorak who made both the Map21's of MM1 & MM2, as well as Anthony Czerwonka who made maps for Requiem. STRAIN is REALLY underrated for how awesome it is.

You must also be sure to load that dehacked patch for it so that the monsters load properly.

Grazza explained it to me here, might be a different story if your not using Zdoom though: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/54776-strain-and-zdoom/

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Original doom PWADS(I think you should know that)

If you're talking about the levels that come with the DOOM games when you buy them, those are IWADs (Internal WADs), not PWADs (Patch WADs).

DeathevokatioN said:

Alot of really great authors worked on it, including Andy Badorak who made both the Map21's of MM1 & MM2, as well as Anthony Czerwonka who made maps for Requiem. STRAIN is REALLY underrated for how awesome it is.

You must also be sure to load that dehacked patch for it so that the monsters load properly.

Grazza explained it to me here, might be a different story if your not using Zdoom though: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/54776-strain-and-zdoom/

I'll most likely use Chocolate Doom, so it should be a simple matter of just employing -merge and -deh. But that link you provided has a link to a nice, already-unpacked version of the WAD, which is appreciated.