Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fishbone

Need help with ZDoom demos

A long, long time ago I recorded some Doom 2 multiplayer sessions played with, iirc, ZDoom. They are in .lmp format. Unfortunately I don't have doom2.exe, only the lame Doom95.exe
How would I go about re-playing these demos?

I think you're screwed. I doubt those demos would be compatible with other source ports or versions of DOOM, and likely even incompatible with the current version of ZDoom. ZDoom is a horrible choice for demo recording.

Yeah, if they're ZDoom demos, you'll probably need to reinstall the exact version that you recorded them under, and set it up exactly the same way; I've had ZDoom demos desync due to things as seemingly minor as changing screen resolutions. I'm not sure where you could find old binaries off-hand though, but I know they're out there somewhere.

On the off-chance that they're not ZDoom demos, you could try playing them back with PrBoom+, as it's generally the favored port for demo playback and recording.

Crap. Precisely the kind of thing I didn't want to hear :)
It was actualy CSDoom that I used to play TCP/IP multiplayer.

LE: nope, it was ZDoom :(
Anyone know where I can find older versions? Tried the playdemo command, no luck.
At least I know the demos were all recorded in 99 so that should help me narrow down the correct version.

Thanks! I am actually making great progress. I am trying to guess the ZDoom version going by the demo date. What makes it even more fun is that they are recorded in different dates. Luckily I only have 4 demos and I am trying to post them on YT for nostalgia's sake.
One of them from 99 I correctly identified the ZDoom version and the demo is playing great without sync issues.
Anyone know a player that used to go by the nickname Havoc?

Any free screen capture programs you recommend? I used to use FRAPS but it drops a watermark.

Definitely having issues recording these demos. What do you guys use? Tried FRAPS, all I get is a black screen. Tried SnagIt, it corrupts the colors.

Come to find out, FRAPS was actually recording just fine but when I was playing the movies back in VLC, it would only play the video recorded up to the point I'd launch the game. I could hear the audio, but only see the desktop. The videos play just fine in Windows Media Player. Go figure!

Memfis said:

Probably you need a video codec pack, like CCCP or K-Lite. (but don't use both at the same time!)

I've always avoided codec packs. Installing codecs separately is a much better idea especially if you want to play around with video compression.