Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

TGH: Heh, don't get used to that.:-) I start a new job next Monday, so demo entering time is going to be considerably shortened.

justanotherfool: You're kidding, right? Slow motion, multiple sessions and auto-Strafe50 are TAS features; more information is not. The Kills/Secrets counter - heck, even the timer in PRBoom+ - won't make you a better player. Keep those features on, then try beating some of the old Compet-N times; see if it gets any easier.:-) The only way it's going to help is by telling you when you've screwed up, in which case you'll either go back to fix the mistake(slower, but valid, demo) or start over right away(giving you more time to get it right). Neither will result in a faster demo, unless you think that allowing yourself more attempts in a shorter period of time is cheating.

I will tag your existing demos as TAS if you want, but, in my opinion, you're selling yourself short. It doesn't "cast a shadow" over anything, as these features have been around since Boom and, from my recollection, there's never been any significant controversy. If some people choose not to use them, well... Maybe after this we can discuss whether or not autorun is valid. Yes, it's in the original game, but so are IDDT and IDBEHOLDL. Are they allowed, too? And what about NoVert? It was a feature the game should've had, right? It should've had a kill counter, too.

Where was I??? Oh yes, my point is, what's been determined valid over the years is not strictly defined by what the original EXE was capable of, and kill counters were never any more invalid than using a port in the first place.

So, I'll leave it to you. Do you want me to label your already-submitted demos TAS?

Yes, calling it TAS strongly suggests slow-motion and joining (at least). But it should be mentioned if it has been used, and in a moderately competitive environment (e.g. a demopack for which "best time gets in") could be considered to invalidate a demo, but that's a matter for whoever is in charge of the project to decide.

@Andy Olivera:
Well, when you put it like that it does seem like I'm living up to my forum ID :) .
No need to tag them, I guess. A good compromise would be for me to edit all the text files mentioning that I used the counters and resubmitting, if that's not too awkward?

Thanks for your comments. I feel a bit better about the whole situation now. Anyway, it won't be an issue in the future.

justanotherfool said:

Well, when you put it like that it does seem like I'm living up to my forum ID :).

No, I just think sometimes people take the whole "purity" thing a little too far.:-)

Don't worry about resubmitting. I'll just add the following comment to your existing demos: "Recorded using the Kills/Items/Secrets HUD."

Andy Olivera said:

TGH: Heh, don't get used to that.:-) I start a new job next Monday, so demo entering time is going to be considerably shortened.

Yeah, I understand.

Meanwhile, you might want to update the DSDA url in the current template, like I did in my text files for my Dagger and Challenj demos. ;)

Hi, Andy. It's great to see this site back again.

I have a little request: 'Angus Thermopyle' is my forum nickname only. Everywhere else, in demo textfiles and old DSDA it was only 'Angus'. Please change this.

Andy Olivera said:
The only way it's going to help is by telling you when you've screwed up, in which case you'll either go back to fix the mistake(slower, but valid, demo) or start over right away(giving you more time to get it right). Neither will result in a faster demo, unless you think that allowing yourself more attempts in a shorter period of time is cheating.

Which is to say it could allow a record in, let's say, 15 hours instead of 10, so there's an evident advantage, which is why mentioning it is important (or in some given pack or contest people may want to discourage it).

I don't agree people are going over the top with purity. I know because I'm one of the more strict, yet have my reasons. No one's being pushed to do anything, just encouraged to be transparent and honest. It's cool to see justanotherfool (who has shown clear appreciation and sincerity in regard to recording thoughout) is sensitive to these (even relatively minor) factors, anyway.

If people were saying the extra info makes no difference, then we could worry, actually. At least it would imply that not having all those extra features turned on is just silly in anything remotely competitive (considering some engines don't even have them).

TGH: Template updated.

Angus: Do you want your name to appear as Jochen "Angus" Schneidau, or simply as Angus?

myk: As I implied above, I don't consider the ability to make more attempts in a shorter period of time "cheating", but it's not really worth arguing about. justanotherfool's old demos are noted as using the counter, as he requested.

Well, if all you wanted was to reply to Grazza (who had made a statement in response to a cheating concern in another thread), you should have done so instead of making a general statement about some people pushing for purity.

Andy Olivera said:
Oh yes, my point is, what's been determined valid over the years is not strictly defined by what the original EXE was capable of, and kill counters were never any more invalid than using a port in the first place.

Anything is valid, even full TAS, but if we're talking about real-time Doom and Boom demos, these are really comparable to demos made with the DOS executables only if they tend to stick to their specs during recording, hence it's important to note unusual settings that give advantages. Even common settings are worth mentioning (Novert or the like), but more so the extras beyond what the base engine offers, or else perhaps newer demos will tend to be slightly better than old ones due to these features, and not really skill. Unless of course back in the 90s people had more free time :p

In this sense, keyboarder only or "default settings" demos have extra value, as the settings do affect what is possible with them.

Yeah, I never considered the kills/items/secrets HUD to be TAS. Though, I agree that it'd be nice to mention if you used it, since it's not available in the original exes. And that makes me a hypocrite because I've used it for all of my prboom-plus demos but didn't say that I used it. I try to put all relevant info in my txt files, like my key config (since I think using a custom weapon config can be an advantage), but for some reason I never thought about mentioning the kills/items/secrets HUD (even though I think it can also be an advantage). Sorry :/

Andy Olivera said:
Angus: Do you want your name to appear as Jochen "Angus" Schneidau, or simply as Angus?[/B]

Opulent wrote Angus in tables and Jochen 'Angus' Schneidau in updates, but just Angus would be fine.

Angus: Done.

And for everyone, another update. Kimo completed his UV Speed collection and threw in a few misc demos, all for dmonfear. Also, the Scythe tables should be up to date. I'm getting so close to clearing out the backlog that I can almost taste it!:-)

Demos, demos and more demos!

Here's one big update before I go back to the realms of the employed, where my demo entering time may be confined to the weekends.:-(

Anyway, this should be enough for at least a week. We have Heretic's new Strain UV Max collection, a "Strolling" collection from Grazza, Kristian and Vincent and over a hundred demos for TVR!

Two things about the Strolling collection: first, if you don't already know, Strolling is defined as No Running, No Strafing and Pacifist; and second, when you download it, ignore the table in the collection page. It's not going to be helpful, as it wasn't written to handle collections that span multiple WADs(e.g. the WAD at the top will show whatever belonged to the demo you clicked through; all MAP01 demos, regardless of WAD, will appear under MAP01). Now that I think about it, I'll probably just split it up into multiple collections later...

tatsurd-cacocaco said:Actually, Ryback said that he used it for this demo on his kf28 txt.
Or, is the more clear rule provided?

Funnily enough that's the first time I ever thought to include that caveat. It might be the only released demo of mine that used it though - back in the day I recorded any port demos with MBF, which turned off the kill counter when recording a demo.

Boom, on the other hand, didn't. Given that was not only one of the most commonly used ports, but the one most commonly targeted by level authors, worrying about the kill counter seems a bit like worrying whether translucent sprites are on or not.

Hooray for the DSDA!

Good thing about being gone for two years is all the new stuff you find when you get back...

Ryback said:
Boom, on the other hand, didn't. Given that was not only one of the most commonly used ports, but the one most commonly targeted by level authors, worrying about the kill counter seems a bit like worrying whether translucent sprites are on or not.

Boom was more common for mapping than recording. I can't see what effect translucent sprites may have, though, unlike the counter that may remind you that you're forgetting an imp or two.

The disappointingly small update for the week has been posted. Around 30 demos from the backlog, all on Episode One of Extremal.

Erik: Glad you're enjoying it.:-)

The Update of the Week has been posted. Included are a few new demos from The Green Herring and the remainder of the Extremal demos, which concludes the DSDA backlog(yay!). With that out of the way, purging of the Compet-N backlog begins, starting with some AV demos. Enjoy!

This week's update is up and it's big. All PWAD demos from the Compet-N incoming have been added, and a few (mostly co-op) from the IWAD incoming, as well. Plus, we have a new player(and profile) in Robby DeCandia who contributed a speedrun on wow.wad. See y'all next week.:-)

TGH: Thanks! Turns out the two are actually different versions and Mike's demo uses the older one(from the PC Zone pack). The zip now contains both versions(and the previously missing text file), and Mike's demo listing has been updated accordingly.

Since the original links are dead here's a gem that I've noticed is missing from the archive, Vile's eaxt map02 UV Max.

Sadly I don't have his previous 17:52 demo.

ea021135.zip

Belial/myk: Thanks. Both demos will be in tomorrow's update.

Incidentally, is there any way to view all the attachments posted to the Demos forum without going through each thread individually?

I sent my demos to DSDA again.

May I ask a favor of you?
My player name is "Tatsurd-cacocaco" correctly. The name is written on all my txt files, the forum name is "tatsurd-cacocaco" though. Please change the first "t" into "T".

Tatsurd: Your name is fixed.

Another BIG update(over 200 demos), featuring Tatsurd, Belial, Kimo, and a bunch more Compet-N incoming.

I forgot to mention last week that the DSDA has exceeded 1,000 hours worth of demos(and we're coming up fast on 10,000 demos). Where does everyone get the TIME to do all this?:-)

Happy New Year, everyone!