Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Plutonia Revisited Community Project: Released!

Should this project go ahead?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should this project go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Great. :)
First thing I'd mention : adding DEMOx lumps could be a plus.

Edit : Aduh, shoul've read Joshy's post.

I'll make a DEMO1

of MAP06 that maps is pretty much my favorite map for some reason(probably because it was one of the first few maps I tested.

Whoa, hold on. Who remixed "Become the Hunted" for MAP11? :O (It's a MUS for some odd reason.) Didn't I write a entirely new song for that map? Would've been nice if I'd been alerted that this was going to be the case. :S

Aside from that, congrats on getting the project this far, Joshy. Looking forward to playing through the whole thing at some point. :)

Jimmy91 said:

Whoa, hold on. Who remixed "Become the Hunted" for MAP11? :O (It's a MUS for some odd reason.) Didn't I write a entirely new song for that map? Would've been nice if I'd been alerted that this was going to be the case. :S

Actually, Darkwave0000 made up the tune himself and converted it for the sake of vanilla compatibility. Didn't realise you were working on a music for that map? :-/

map 17
At the invisible bridge path, 2 chain gunners (things 196&197) not being able to see the player due to the reject.
(same problem was mentioned on this post before)
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=944805#post944805

Using this comment line with zennode in Doom Builder 2 file can solve the problem.
zennode -b- -n- -rz prcppublictest.wad.wad map17 -o prcptest2.wad

Map 18
Sector 257,286, change the brightness to 170

Please help me to fix these before the final release.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm thinking of the Forest Temple remix, which I did submit. You said in your PM to me that the map was going to be inspired by Hunted, so I assumed the song was going to be used for MAP11... although now I see that that map is actually Darkwave0000's, not yours.

Is the map which was going to use my Forest Temple remix included in this release? I'm not really bothered if you're not using it after all - I can probably find a use for it myself. ;P

The gameplay on MAP12 was absolutely amazing. I didn't even realize that I got all the secrets, but that goes to show how well they were placed, as I hate switch hunts.

Edit: Scratch that: linedef which triggers the chaingunners at the end is too easily skipped through SR40/50. Perhaps that could be fixed somehow? Demo here.

Whoo said:

At MAP04 on Ultra-violence. This is really hard.

I'm editing the map right now, tell me what was really hard? BTW it should be hard, this is Plutonia.

Qaatar said:

The gameplay on MAP12 was absolutely amazing. I didn't even realize that I got all the secrets, but that goes to show how well they were placed, as I hate switch hunts.

Edit: Scratch that: linedef which triggers the chaingunners at the end is too easily skipped through SR40/50. Perhaps that could be fixed somehow? Demo here.

Doubling up the trigger linedefs will should fix that.

I had to do that on MAP06 to ensure that the red key bars close. No fun in skipping the journey to find it!

C30N9 said:

I'm editing the map right now, tell me what was really hard? BTW it should be hard, this is Plutonia.

Plutonia isn't that hard...I don't really see anything difficult with MAP04 anyway, unless you added more enemies too it after testing...Even then this map wouldn't be that hard.

MAP04 has too many enemies for the size of the rooms you're fighting in, I think. Too cramped.

Speaking of, there's still a few gameplay gripes I mentioned before that are present in this release. I won't go and repeat them all just yet (I'm such a nitpicky bastard...), but I'm fairly certain that the beginning of MAP08 is still VPO-prone. I'll need to test it really quick...

[EDIT] It is. The culprit is the shadow underneath the metal bars in the start room, which causes a lot of extraneous floor visplanes that can easily be reduced by changing the light levels of those sectors to be the same as the surrounding ones (w/sky). I know it won't look quite as good, but it's a necessary sacrifice -- had to do it in Helix a few times, myself.

Also, I noticed that several of the maps (MAP01 in particular) have their outside-area boundary linedefs hidden on the map now. Thanks for listening to that silly nitpick of mine repeatedly, I suppose... :P

@Jimmy: There's a later map which actually uses Become the Hunted (MAP18). It fits, but it's been used before and you've got me curious to see if your new song would fit there. That's up to you and evocalvin, though.

Really, it's damn good to see this guy nearing release! It's without a doubt the best wad of 2011 so far and I've enjoyed it more than most of anything I can remember from last year. Great work, guys. :)

NoobBait said:

Aww don't change map 4 please, that was fun...

agreed. the map is just so refreshingly simple that it's cute. i also find it nicely balanced on UV and the horde is a lot of bark, but not that much bite. :) the only issue is handing out bfg so early in episode progression, but then again 05 and 06 are completely cell-free and the advantage will only get clear in 07.

Gambit&Wicked Garden are awesome!
lvl 20- the remake of "The Twilight" was excellent too allthouth that the original map is still my favorite.

I was so excited that I couldn't play in the original lvl order the first thing that I did was to check how the final boss looks :D

C30N9 said:

I meant in general the levels are really hard.

Jimmy91 said:

I'm thinking of the Forest Temple remix, which I did submit. You said in your PM to me that the map was going to be inspired by Hunted, so I assumed the song was going to be used for MAP11... although now I see that that map is actually Darkwave0000's, not yours.

Is the map which was going to use my Forest Temple remix included in this release? I'm not really bothered if you're not using it after all - I can probably find a use for it myself. ;P

Oh yeah, that's right. It's been a while heh! I can use it for one of my other maps (not in this project).

I don't think map 11 has enough arch-viles to occupy the slot for "Hunted". I don't mean to pick, but since this is Plutonia that level should be primary arch-vile based. As far as I can tell, it's not.

I've been skipping all over the wad a bit, and I have to say that the remixes from old Doom tracks, like in map 32 and map 20, kick some major behind.

On a more personal note, after playing the amazing map 20 you end up in my map 21, and it seems like such a drop in quality I'm suffering from an inferiority complex. X and D. Map 20 is an excellent "The Twilight" tribute, if nothing else! I love it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's a new image for the final bos in map 30. Wish I had more time so I could do a thorough test playthrough.

[Sorry if it was mentioned already, I don't want to read all posts because of possible spoilers.]
MAP02 bug: http://img835.imageshack.us/i/doom132.jpg/

EDIT: I've played through the first 11 maps today and managed to finish all of them except for map11. Here is the demos. I hope the authors will find them interesting. My favorite map so far is "Ruined Kingdom" by Tatsurd-cacocaco. It's cool that world-class speedrunner is a great mapper too.

EDIT2: I want to mention that I had to look in the editor while playing map05, because the path to the yellow key is hidden really well.

I don't think anyone noticed this, I'm right now playing MAP03, so I noticed that the player start is not on the Plutonia start/exit pad (the square with small rhombus). BTW love that map but really hard and I think it was poor ammo.

iHaveToPee said:

Jimmy91 your track is excellent!
Do you mind if I use it? if you agree so where can I download it?

Not at all. Just right click the link and click "Save Target As" (IE7/8) or "Save Link As" (FF).

Since Speed of Doom was for Doom 2, does that mean Speed of Doom 2 will be for Doom? :P

Or will he continue the chronology and make Speed of Doom 2 for Doom 3? Hmm...