Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megamur

The MARBFACE Textures

So, if MARBFACE is the end boss from DOOM II, and MARBFAC3 is the face of a Baron, is MARBFAC2 an Arch-Vile face?

I used to think it was some sort of alien creature, too, when I wasn't very familiar with the DOOM mythos. However, it does kind of look like the face of the clay model of the Arch-Vile, and if they made one DOOM 1 texture into a DOOM II monster (Icon of Sin), it stands to reason they might have with another.

I always thought it was the Mancubus, but now that I look at it there doesn't seem to be any similarities.

The shape of MARBFAC2 matches with the front or diagonal front sprite of the Arch-vile's head.

another misconception of mine, heh.

I use to think those textures symbolized the enemies coming up IE the baron one made me think I was about to fight a baron or some other "horned" demon (lost souls,cacos, demons)

and the archie one I though more alien like enemies, like arachnotrons, spider masterminds, etc.

What's interesting is that the Archvile didn't even exist when they made that texture... Or did it?

maybe it'll look more like a vile if you remove the curvy bones next to the jaw

I don't think there's any relation; the original model doesn't look anything like the texture.

Looking at the two images side-by-side in Technician's post, the "curvy side-bones" are clearly visible in the actual Arch-Vile sprite -- MARBFAC2 simply can't be anything else, although for all we know id could've made the monster similar after-the-fact. ;)

Worst said:

To me it looks like the in-game arch-vile sprites have those same tubular structures; the first image in Technician's post shows them, though the source model lacks them. The model does better showcase the teeth than the sprites do.

Regardless of whether Adrian had the arch-vile design concept in his head when he was making the MARBFAC2 texture, the source model was of course made by Gregor Punchatz; this might explain why MARBFAC2's features don't align with the arch-vile model as much as MARBFAC3 does with the baron model and sprites.

[edit: I guess I missed Xaser's post somehow. Whoops.]

printz said:

What's interesting is that the Archvile didn't even exist when they made that texture... Or did it?

While that's kind of like the Mancu-Balls in the Doom-SHarware, which were unused until Doom II. So was the Mancubus riginally going to be in Doom?

I always imagined this texture though to be a Chaingunner head, mainly because of the fat looking jaw. I never saw spaces between those lines on the side of it's mouth.

mallo said:

Arch-Vile and Mancubus fan

It's like if the Manc and the Archie had a baby.

Technician said:

Adrian, for all we know, could have had the Arch-vile concept made curring Doom's development.

The only similarities I see are those 2 jaw bones (?) arching out from the sides of the jaw.

Extremely low resolutions will do that. The sprite head is like 13 pixels wide, whereas the MARBFACE version is probably closer to about 80. You can see where the eye area is; the colour gets much darker. It's definitely the same face

The Vile's sprites kind of look like they're smiling in a sinister way.
In a sort-of related note:
Has anyone made an HD remake of Doom that's faithful to the original designs?

Also, I like to think that the Viles had a really high position up the monster heirarchy.

Worst said:

Not really, you have to remember though the smaller the sprites the less detailed it appears to be.

I'm guessing the MARBFACE textures are for the Monsters who are REALLY up the ladder of Hell's social heirarchy.

Baron, IoS and Arch-Vile. All monsters that can easily kill you.