Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Team Fortress 2

I've only played it once since Valve went on their unlocks & collectibles kick. I received considerable verbal abuse for not having some stupid weapon and/or hat. Not worth the aggravation.

Technician said:

Lots of children and fanbabbies. The game is fun, but it relies on the community to play.

Speaking of children...

Honestly, I don't know about the TF2 community as a whole, but the server I generally go to is pretty decent. Can't say much for the forums, but the game is fun.

Scripten is my username, though it might be under [RoFL]Scripten. I'm really not too sure.

I played TF2 since release tell a few months ago. All these gimmick hats and items have pretty much turned me off. I recently picked up Killing Floor and I have been loving it. If your not dead set on getting a player vs player shooter, I'd highly recommend Killing Floor.

Marnetmar said:

Speaking of children...

[vid]

Wow, that kid's parents must be white trash in a fucking trailer park. I feel kinda bad for him, really.

The video's still funny as shit, lol.

It's decent to pub but it's not great competitively, it's pretty slow and has a few gameplay faults (i.e demo always having to protect medic, game largely being about uber pushes etc). It's definitely worth getting though.

Hey, don't listen to these guys. Especially about the community, I'd say it is absolutely the nicest game community I've ever played with, for an online game, and besides Doom. I dunno what servers these guys are playing on. About that, I highly recommend the Reddit servers, particularly Midwest, West, West Too, and maybe Great Lakes. I love all the regulars on Midwest, and there are a lot of scrambles there, which prevents too much steamrolling (the worst thing in the game). There's also no-crits, which is pretty common for servers with smarter players (not that I necessarily agree with no-crits personally). So yeah, if you're anywhere near midwest US, you should play there! I probably won't see you on though, I get to play barely like 4 hours a week this summer cause I'm working full time.

Otherwise, while you're browsing the server list, make sure you turn off the weird mode with the pictures of the maps, there's a check box to turn that off in the corner. Then, generally pick a server with less than 28 max players, more than 20, ping lower than 150, and pick one that doesn't seem to be affiliated with some set of ten servers. Like, you'll see ten Nightteam servers next to each other, that's a bad sign. Often because players will donate cash to the server owners, and get some sort of cheap perks in play, like extra health. Another reason is that those servers definitely will have no regular players attached, and thus, more chance of players acting like assholes anonymously. On the other hand, if you see a server owned by some organization you've heard of (giant bomb, penny arcade, etc) that's a good sign. (those two servers are rarely full though). If you see a server with a .com in the title, that's usually bad. But if you see a server that seems to be owned by some sort of guild, that's probably good. UNLESS they seem to own more than two servers, then it's a bad sign.

As for the game, it's the best game in the last ten years at least. It's a masterpiece; a work of art with endless depth, and it's fucking fun too. (I recommend heavy and medic to start with.)

Don't listen to the haters, it's actually a really fun game. The store is entirely optional, as you can get just about any item as a random drop, or by crafting. The different items don't really break the game, but keep it interesting. If the basic weapon set is getting boring, you can change it up to a different build.

I don't see much wrong with the community. I've seen just about no trash talking, and they aren't all THIS IS SERIOUS GAME like the CS players were back in the day. Yeah, there are some kids and a lot of college students, but oh well. They usually aren't annoying.

Anyway, I've probably spent more hours on TF2 than any other Steam game, and I love it. I played the shit out of TFC back in the day, and I think this game refined the game play and made it even more fun.

Marnetmar said:

Speaking of children...

Haha, oh wow. For some reason the few kids with mics I've run into on TF2 wouldn't shut the fuck up.

I got the game with The Orange Box as a christmas present in 2009. It's an enjoyable game, I've been able to ignore the items craze myself, and I actually found the game that much less enjoyable when the update arrived which stopped micspamming.

It's a very decent game and worth playing if you get into it.
Though I'll give you few pointers;

-Look for decent server communities, stay away from premium servers. Best enjoyment usualy comes from vanilla 24 rotation servers really, though if you just want to mess around and generally try learn the classes a bit, 2fort is a decent beginner map and there are other server side options usualy that can change the game a bit.

-It will be hard to get used to some things like the drop system and lot of the unlockable weapons if you haven't followed the game before. Do not be fooled by the in game store, you will most likely get the weapons you might want through the drop system/trading. However in the long run, most of the default weapons will still give you the best results.

Once you get hang of the game and find the best classes that fit you, you will love it.

It's decent to pub but it's not great competitively, it's pretty slow and has a few gameplay faults (i.e demo always having to protect medic, game largely being about uber pushes etc). It's definitely worth getting though.

Are you still in the same game? What I've watched, the competitive games in the div1 - 2 games tend to go REALLY fast nowdays, unless a team rolls in a heavy for area denial.

I thought micspamming was the best part about team fortress 2

The game was actually perfect in beta form. After they released the game it was destroyed.

Technician said:

Lots of children

I don't mind this. Actually, online is one of the few places I can stand being around children. I'd rather have kids cursing and trying to act big and tough than hear them whine to their mothers for ice cream or something like that.

Technician said:

fanbabbies

I'm taking you off my buddy list.

I used t play TF2, I got obssesed with collecting the random drop items. I stopped playing when I realised that the part of the game I found the most entertaining was collecting items, turning them into scrap metal, then making hats out of the metal. Say what you want but the item system is very addictive.

I just started playing TF2 recently, as well. It's a good game,once you find a class you can play without losing horrifically. This for me is apparently Demoman. Still hunting down good Servers to play on, though.

find me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xyphus if you wanna hook up for some games or something

I guess it depends on the player. I haven't crafted, traded, or bought more than a few items in TF2. And I still have quite a collection.

I have no idea what the fuck about the crafting and stuff. I've played a couple of days and already got some decent stuff, though.

Just played a 2fort game on TF2 Newbs server. I played as Heavy and did pretty well, got a 9 kill streak. Medic I still suck at and don't know how to play at all. The people were nice and didn't yell at me for sucking like I expected.

And sorry Epyo I'm on east coast, but playing on non-local servers won't kill me.

AirRaid said:

I just started playing TF2 recently, as well. It's a good game,once you find a class you can play without losing horrifically.

Pretty much true. Back in the days of TFC, I played mostly the engineer. The gameplay changed a bit, though, and maps tend to be a bit more dynamic and less camp-y, so engineer isn't as ideal. I still play it a lot, though. Heavy is probably my preferred class, though I also like the medic, scout (after beating the learning curve with him), and demoman (if I play aggressively). I still suck at playing as a spy or a sniper (I suck at sniper for the same reason I suck at playing a defensive demo...it requires too much patience), and I'm kind of a crappy soldier because I always forget about rocket jumps and seem to spend half the time reloading.

Oh yeah, and here's my Steam ID:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Danarchy84

I played a lot of TF2, on about 5 different New Zealand servers. Not once did I encounter any problems with the community and or regulars on those servers. On the odd occasion I'd mute some voice users or lower the volume*. I'd still be playing now, if it weren't for the fact I don't have internet at home yet.

I've not bothered with the items, crafting, hats, etc and find myself sticking with the soldier class - I don't perform that well with the others unfortunately.

*It could get pretty funny though, like someone playing Rise of the Valkyries in the last minutes of the match or everyone talking like posh british citizens.

Edit: The best thing to do is get a group of friends to play, the fun factor increases immensely when you know the people you play with.

Planky said:

and find myself sticking with the soldier class - I don't perform that well with the others unfortunately.

I think it is pretty much the soldier's role to dominate. I actually think he's way too powerful, but then it's a team game, so that doesn't matter. Both sides can have soldiers.

caco_killer said:

Start what? The store is optional. You don't have to bother with it at all.

DON'T START PROVING A POINT. Honestly, most of the people I've heard whine about the store are nothing more than tournyfags, and as well all know, their opinions really don't even matter.