Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PirateNipple

Nostrum - new wad, download it! (upfated with fixes!)

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16483
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lcbiik50p4c795q/nostrum1.zip

Inspired by MAP05 of No Rest For the Living, Vivisection: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/MAP05:_Vivisection_%28No_Rest_for_the_Living%29

Started this thing over a year ago and just picked it up and started finishing it a couple of weeks ago. I map way too slowly. Aimed for a fairly nonlinear level with tight combat and am pretty happy with what I came up with.

The map is impossible to finish in vanilla doom 2. Sectors 388 and 390 doesn't lower. I think that's because arch-viles are stuck in them.

Memfis said:

The map is impossible to finish in vanilla doom 2. Sectors 388 and 390 doesn't lower. I think that's because arch-viles are stuck in them.

Confirmed.

Also ...

1. T77 at sector 189 will block the player in vanilla doom.

2. Sector 169 would look better with the floor BLOOD1 or the floor being slightly higher.

3. Lines 1175, 1179 could be flagged impassible to stop the monsters falling into sector 199. If not killed would prevent 100% kills in non-vanilla ports.

4. Also in vanilla, T326 and T327 - stimpacks - render at sectors 439 and 438's floor height - hang in mid-air.

... quite ok to play ... ;)

I really, really like the aesthetic style of this map. I was a big fan of Vivisection and this is quite similar but only really in looks. The gameplay was pretty good, there were some good fights but it was never too tough. Vivisection was much harder by comparison but then again I played that on a 360. There was a lot of ammo and health but it was warranted due to the amount/difficulty of the monsters. I think you should make the end archviles fight a bit harder, maybe more zombiemen/imps as resurrection fodder?

Here's a demo of my first run

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look at all of those things and see if I can fix them when I have the chance. I'm dumb and should have caught stuff like that.

If I reupload it to /idgames whats the procedure for having it replace the first upload, just leave a note in the "archive maintainer" section?

I added/changed a few enemies in that final room because I agree that having a little more respawn fodder would be good. Also:

Memfis said:

Fixed this.

hawkwind said:

1. T77 at sector 189 will block the player in vanilla doom.

2. Sector 169 would look better with the floor BLOOD1 or the floor being slightly higher.

3. Lines 1175, 1179 could be flagged impassible to stop the monsters falling into sector 199. If not killed would prevent 100% kills in non-vanilla ports.

4. Also in vanilla, T326 and T327 - stimpacks - render at sectors 439 and 438's floor height - hang in mid-air.

1.) fixed this, simply removed it, it was kind of random to begin with
2.) fixed this, not sure why it was at the lower height, it was originally at the correct height
3.) fixed this, went and changed all lines to block monster to prevent this situation
4.) fixed this, not sure why it happened to begin with though, I thought the items were far enough out.

I came up with one other problem, running the map in chocolate doom would crash in a certian spot. Sometimes it would crash, sometimes not, and it would not display any error message, the EXE would just close. I couldn't replicate it and have no idea what would cause it. Loading a save from a few moments before and just trying it again would usually work. This only happened in chocolate doom.

Thanks again for the tips everybody, I've resubmitted the map and updated my download links.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lcbiik50p4c795q/nostrum1.zip

A few more things noticed ...

1. Delete lines 2106, 2109, 2108 and 2107 - unclosed sector.

2. T251 and T115 at sector 196, are rendering at sector 198's floor height - Vanilla. This is because their bounding boxes are partially in sector 198.

3. HOM at sector 433 - vanilla again - this is because vanilla does not like both the floor and ceiling to be sky.

4. While I could not see a problem, it might be worth putting an upper texture on line 2340.

5. IMHO, lines 689 and 690 would look better with the lower unpegged flag.

6. Wierd vanilla bug on line 2391 for example - sw1comm. Not sure what is causing it though.