Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

Looking for a mapping Job

Listen people, i've made a few maps and now, essentially my brain is broken...

I need suggestions on a map to make, give me guidelines, maybe a plot, setting, and i will make it.

Seconded, see if you can come up with a classic looking Doom map for the DTWID project.

Thirded, DTWiD is a blast.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like emulating John Romero and Sandy Petersen, then just make this:

-Setting: A Hellish rocky canyon, very wide and tall, with several waterfalls of blood that enemies can perch upon, and a river of lava running through it. A large number of ledges and walkways are accessable along one side of the canyon. Several locked doors along the opposite side of the canyon connect to a network of rooms buried within the rock, and these rooms likewise connect to a large (also locked) atrium which is suitable for a final conflict.

The player has to explore the outdoor ledges and walkways for the key to the indoor area, and must then fight through a modest amount of monsters to find the means to open the atrium. Inside the atrium, the player must face a climactic number of enemies before reaching the exit teleporter to the next map.

-Guidelines: detail and map size somewhere around Doom(2) standards, and a focus on cacodemons, demons, and barons/hellknights. Early access to shotgun and chainsaw, later access to chaingun, rockets, and plasma rifle. Access to berserk pack and/or SSG only via secrets.

-Plot: You are in hell. You want to grab some weapons and kick demon ass. Perhaps you'll find the way out whilst kicking said rectal tissue.

And if you don't make that, then I'll have to do it myself. :P

What's the difference of what he's done before? He's looking for direction, not criticism.

My advice is to just ride it out. Keep winging it in your editor, stick to a theme, and eventually, if you're lucky, you might actually have a decent map. Personally, I recommend working on outdoor areas. They're much more flexible in terms of shape and proportion. Makes it easier to get off to a good start.

Okay, how about this: You have a huge cavern, i mean seriously gigantic, with a big indoor tower in the center. A massive staircase leading up to it, with all sorts of cavern stuff around. The cavern has 3 entrances East, West, and South, the North passage goes into the final battle area, and can only be accessed via a large bridge from the tower. That's the basic structure. Use gothic textures and make it as detailed as you want. Let's see 1000+ enemies for this one :-)

Snakes said:

I recommend working on outdoor areas. They're much more flexible in terms of shape and proportion. Makes it easier to get off to a good start.

I always find outdoor areas the hardest to do as they require the most effort and detailing to get right, although if done well then they can look amazing.

What I do when I'm short of ideas is to play some well known wads and look for inspiration from them.

I don't understand threads like these, I've never had problems of not knowing what to make. I have more problems of finishing stuff though, too many ideas at once probably :p

Snakes said:

What's the difference of what he's done before? He's looking for direction, not criticism.

In my experience, criticism creates direction. If you show off your stuff, people will say "This looks really good, do more of that!" or "This needs more practice"...wouldn't that lead to inspiration? Building a WAD that plays to your strengths is obvious direction, and so is improving your weak areas.

Yeah, yeah, anecdotal evidence, I know. But I see it done enough times (outside of WADs, obviously) to take it seriously.

Word of advice, tom: don't needlessly bump threads. It never works out in the end.

EDIT: Yikes, I didn't check the date! The idea stands though for anyone else.

Have Doomguy fight his way through a series of overturned buildings after a tornado strike, such that he's walking on the ceiling and moving through the air vents while Cacodemons are spilling through the doorways above.