Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

A question about doom wiki

I can see that some doomers' information is seen on doom wiki, for example Ryback, stx-vile, Eric Baker etc. I want to know if I can open a new page and write some information about me or other famous doomers.

It depends on whether the subject is really notable or not, but if you're not sure, it's probably best to not write about them.

Doom wiki says:
The Doom community contains a large number of people. However, not all of these people are worthy of an article on them.

Some guidelines for pages about specific people in the community:

• The person being written up should have done something notable. For example, contributed to successfully released projects (including WADs, source ports, editing utilities, and the like), won a well-known tournament, recorded a number of speedruns for Compet-n, etc. If they have not done anything of note in the Doom community, they should not be written up. Playing in a clan or having a forum account on Doomworld does not count.
  • The article should be about their contributions to the Doom community. Information about other interests (eg. "ÜberDooMer likes to play the guitar and play Counterstrike") is not appropriate.
  • The name of the article should generally take the form Real name (nickname): for example, John Carmero (ÜberDooMer). Sometimes the real name is not known, where the nickname alone will suffice, and occasionally a nickname is unnecessary even if it exists, especially if the person uses his or her real name most of the time, or the nickname is not generally used for relevant game related activities.
  • List the person's achievements (e.g. projects they have been involved in) in a bullet-point list, giving the year.
  • Unfinished and unreleased mods should not be listed.
  • Include a link to their website and/or released projects in an "External links" section at the end of the article.
  • Photos can be included, but be sure to get permission from whoever owns the copyright on the photo. Photos are more appropriate on long write-ups, however.

Yeah, that's another point I forgot to mention. If you have anything substantial to add about anyone in the community, you might want to wait until Quasar and the gang sorts out the wrinkles on the new site, if only so that they don't have to port it forward later.

Mithran Denizen said:

Yeah, that's another point I forgot to mention. If you have anything substantial to add about anyone in the community, you might want to wait until Quasar and the gang sorts out the wrinkles on the new site, if only so that they don't have to port it forward later.

Note that we're neither obligated nor making special plans to continue importing new material added to the Wikia wiki.

We are trying to hit a few of the major beneficial edits made since February, such as Ducon's significant collection of screenshots. Minor things like bio articles probably aren't important enough and could be rewritten or copied over by someone who finds them interesting on a personal level.

Yeah, well, wouldn't it be better to do the edits after the move to get a higher page count for the new wiki? I mean, someone will eventually take over the old one and the page count is a common way to choose between two wikis.

Heh, the page count is broken on the new wiki. It currently boasts 1 (one) page! :p

Yes, there are more pages than one.

Gez said:

Heh, the page count is broken on the new wiki. It currently boasts 1 (one) page! :p

Yes, there are more pages than one.

No way to fix it that I can find.

Well I tried this and I got this mess:

doomwiki@mancubus:~/mediawiki-1.16.2$ php maintenance/updateArticleCount.php
/tmp/xcache: Permission denied
Cannot open or create file set by xcache.mmap_path, check the path permission or 
check xcache.size/var_size against system limitation
PHP Fatal error:  Cannot open or create file set by xcache.mmap_path, check the
path permission or check xcache.size/var_size against system limitation in Unkno
wn on line 0
PHP Fatal error:  XCache: Cannot create shm in Unknown on line 0
ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 4294967295 bytes which is above
the allowed value (attacker 'REMOTE_ADDR not set', file '/home/doomwiki/mediawi
ki-1.16.2/maintenance/Maintenance.php', line 398)
ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 4294967295 bytes which is above
ki-1.16.2/maintenance/Maintenance.php', line 663)
Warning: xcache_get(): xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var da
ta caching in /home/doomwiki/mediawiki-1.16.2/includes/BagOStuff.php on line 552
Warning: xcache_set(): xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var da
ta caching in /home/doomwiki/mediawiki-1.16.2/includes/BagOStuff.php on line 567
Counting articles...found 2649.
To update the site statistics table, run the script with the --update option.
Segmentation fault

Quasar said:

Well I tried this and I got this mess:

doomwiki@mancubus:~/mediawiki-1.16.2$ php maintenance/updateArticleCount.php
/tmp/xcache: Permission denied

What's the perms on /tmp/xcache, or even better yet, does that directory exist, or does your maintenance script create it?

ki-1.16.2/maintenance/Maintenance.php', line 398)
ki-1.16.2/maintenance/Maintenance.php', line 663)

I thought Manc already bumped up the memory limit on PHP on that server? You can get the current limit by creating a PHP page on the server that just contains this:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and viewing it on any of the virtual hosts. There may already be a phpinfo file created somewhere, I forget now.

I would fix the above Permission denied problem first and see if your error message changes.

Counting articles...found 2649.
Updating site statistics table... done.
As far as that alert, it's whining because it cannot set the memory limit to 4GB. I dunno why it needs to do that really, and isn't actually a factor. I still got it but the script ran successfully. The other error messages are most likely due to not having write access to /tmp.