Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

E2M2: 0.5 Alpha vs. Jaguar

So I got bored and decided to make 2 images comparing the 0.5 alpha's version of E2M2 and the Jaguar's version, just for the sake of how different they are. I may do E2M7 next. Why is it Tom's maps that had the most cut out of them?

Probably space limitations. I was really disappointed with that when I played Doom on a playstation, E2M7 wasn't even recognizable.

For some logic-defying reason (perhaps nostalgia) I've always preferred the look of the Jaguar levels. I first played Doom on the Jaguar and when I played the PC version I didn't like all the extra textures, which I thought were too busy and the weird new areas to get lost in. Particulary in E2. I suspect if I'd played Doom on the PC first my opinion may have been reversed.

Ultimate DOOM size on disk: ~15MB
Ultimate DOOM RAM requirements: ~3.5MB

Jaguar cartridge size: 6MB
Jaguar RAM: 2MB

Concessions were made.

Heh, Jag E2M7 was so different to me that I justified extending and including it in Lost Episode as a map. Consequently, I never fail to get confused when playing the real E2M7 because some areas work differently than they do in E5M3. :P

Sodaholic said:

So I got bored and decided to make 2 images comparing the 0.5 alpha's version of E2M2 and the Jaguar's version, just for the sake of how different they are.

FWIW here's a couple more side-by-sides of retail PC Doom maps vs Jaguar maps, in unexplored-Automap view.
Also: JagDoom mapset images for anyone interested.

purist said:

For some logic-defying reason (perhaps nostalgia) I've always preferred the look of the Jaguar levels. I first played Doom on the Jaguar and when I played the PC version I didn't like all the extra textures, which I thought were too busy and the weird new areas to get lost in. Particulary in E2. I suspect if I'd played Doom on the PC first my opinion may have been reversed.

It`s not that weird at all, I thought the same. When I played the wad that recreates the jaguar/32x port on Zdoom, I found the levels to look much cleaner and nicer with the fewer textures. Also, the levels were shorter, which I also liked a lot.