Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deertag

door speed?

I've just started trying to learn to map build in Doom in Hexen and/or UDMF formats, and I have a question about doors. In these formats, discovered I need to input door speed and length of delay the door will stay open. I'm aware that I can put in any number I choose and I have experimented with a few numbers. 20 speed and 25 delay seems reasonable to me.

However, my question is this. What is the standard normal numbers used in official Doom2 doors. I'd just like to know so I can keep my doors consistent with the norm, if that is what I choose to do. Thanks.

Don't take my word for it, but I think speed/delay for normal speed doors is 16 speed/150 delay.

I believe Doom's standard doors equate to a speed of "16" in Hexen/UDMF, while Doom II's fast doors equate to "64". The normal doors might be "32", but I'm not sure off the top of my head; the fast doors might be actually "32" instead.

I'd guess that the standard open/close delay is "105" or "140" tics, which should correspond to about 3 or 4 seconds, but again, I'm not positive about any of these values without looking them up. It might well be "150", and I think some of the door functions measure in octics rather than tics, so you may have to watch out for that.

Regular arse doors open at 2 map units per tick

Fast doors open at 8 map units per tick

Doors stay at full open before reclosing for 150 ticks

I dunno what units ZDOOM uses though...

Speed 8 is 1 map unit per tick in ZDoom. So just multiply map units per tic by 8 and there's your speed.

Short, classic stairs: 2
Floor raising from lava: 4
Usual floor, perpetual lift: 8
Classic door: 16
Classic lift, fast floor: 32
Fast door, fast lift: 64
Fast stairs: I don't know. See for yourself, it may be 32 or 64.

printz said:

Short, classic stairs: 2
Floor raising from lava: 4
Usual floor, perpetual lift: 8
Classic door: 16
Classic lift, fast floor: 32
Fast door, fast lift: 64
Fast stairs: I don't know. See for yourself, it may be 32 or 64.

its 32. (or in a more sensible form, 4 mapunits per tic)