Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Machinima.com

Just a short question: do you like machinima.com and its videos on Youtube?

If yes, why, if no, why?

I love watching All Your History. Their output rate seems to have slowed down dramaticly now though.

I never even knew they had their own site. The only thing related to them I ever really keep up with is Freeman's Mind. Otherwise I just happen to randomly run across their other videos.

But why is this shit by now? I'm not so smart at these themes.

Why do you care so much about others' opinions? :) If you like Machinima, that's fine. Just enjoy it.

Memfis said:

Why do you care so much about others' opinions? :) If you like Machinima, that's fine. Just enjoy it.

Firstly, I'd like to know your opinions, just because I'd like to know! :P

Secondly, I have no exact opinion about that.

SeanWJF said:

If you like a constant stream of generic call of duty videos with someone talking over the gameplay, then you might like it.

Well, yeah. It was strange for me. On the Subscriptions module, I've always seen a lot of boring CoD videos.

Katamori said:

But why is this shit by now? I'm not so smart at these themes.

There use to be some "Somewhat" decent shows on it a long time ago, but now there's nothing even slightly appealing to me with all that COD crap and gameplay videos.

Machinima is good when done properly. Example: that WoW-themed episode of South Park.

DoomUK said:

Machinima is good when done properly. Example: that WoW-themed episode of South Park.

This. That episode was so classic that a lot of WoW haters and a lot of Southpark haters liked it. (People who hated both probably didn't like it.)

I find once in a while a great piece of machinima comes along, but a huge portion of it is just annoying. Like anything else, machinima is helped by good pacing and reasonable dialogue/voice acting (where applicable). Most people making movies from game footage have no sense of either.

Only gave a shit about Freeman's Mind and those glitch videos.

I've never been a fan of machinima in the first place, so I've never even bothered going to the site. There are some exceptions, like the Yogscast's Minecraft videos (which are like half Machinima and half Let's Play), or The Grind:

Also, Red vs. Blue was kind of entertaining before they started charging you to watch.

I hate them, and refuse to watch anything that is on their channel. This is why:

1. "Partner" or "premium" account or whatever they call it. They desperately link the videos in entirely unrelated categories. Just watch a video, and on top of the related videos tab there's some crap from Machinima, permanently. Advertisements.

2. They assimilate (or "partnership", I call it "sellout") other people's videos and claim them as their own. Partly the original authors are the blame for falling into temptation. In it for the money and not for making videos for people to enjoy.

3. Continuation: they add an obnoxious water mark, intro, outro and FPS reduction to their videos.

4. Mostly, their videos are bad. Someone quickscopes/hardscopes/whatever they call it in the newest cowwadoody with some obnoxious idiot talking constantly.

I won't support all this crap with the money they make from page ads. When I accidentally watch a Machinima video from a link, all hell breaks loose inside me.

Don't care about the website, but I liked Devil's Covenant and a few others (can't remember names) back in the Quake 1 days.

More recently, tried to watch Nehahra but it needs a special engine (Dark Places) and I guess my hacked build was faulty because it started wigging out at the end of Part 1.

Quake Rally is still my favorite mod. :) Fantasy Quake was pretty good too, but they never finished it. Painkeep was nice too, esp. with bots. And Alien Quake was scary good, but it got pulled due to some IP bullshit (the mod is still floating around the Internet though).