Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Doom 64 influence

Well, it's a loong time since I last posted a thread in this forum, so I reckon the time has come to post a new topic.

Do any of you think that some of the concepts from Doom 64 should be "ported" over to "Doom 3"? Not directly though, but in a way, so that some of the Doom 3 monsters look a bit more like the 64 version of the same monster than the old PC Doom version.

Personally, if the Arachnotron or the Spiderdemon Mastermind show up in the new game, I hope they adopt a more Doom 64 Arachnotron look.
The 64 Arachnotron looks a lot more spideresque than the four-legged "brain crap" of PC Doom 2.

No. If the old Doom characters look cheesy then the D64 ones look ultragay. Gimme all-new monsters or loosely-based on the old ones.

Originally posted by Fredrik
I think they should port over the atmosphere and the music from Doom64 =)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!#$¤&£

Originally posted by dsm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!#$¤&£

Eh, why not? Yeah, maybe there should be more "music" to it, but the ambient background is awesome.

Eh, why not? Yeah, maybe there should be more "music" to it, but the ambient background is awesome.

Hmm, I'm kinda split. On teh one hand, I loved some of ROTT's ultra early 90s techno efforts, and thought they really clicked in well with the game, but I also love the dark mysterious ambience of PSX Doom. It's a hard one...

That I can accept, but Doom 64's music reminds me too much of Quake1's music (although D64's music is a bit better).

I want actual music, which can make the adrenaline flow and get me all excited about throwing myself into combat - not this randomly thrown together ambient noise.
They can put eerie environmental sounds in the game for that.

That would be good.

Yep

The ambient computer & machinery background sounds in Doom64 ARE awesome... makes it really creepy and perfect for the "exploring dark moon base" setting. Any additional music should IMO be used only in relation to special events.

/Me wants to try Doom64
Yeah, the atmosphere in the music is cool, I haven't heard the background computer terminal sounds you talk about.
Btw Zaldron: You interpret the topic of this thread a bit too literally I think, e.g. when I suggested that the "Doom 3" arachnotron should be "influenced" by the looks of the D64 Arachno, I meant stuff like the fact that the D64 arachno has SIX legs instead of just four - if the arachno and SM are in the new Doom, at least they should have six mechanical legs instead of four.

But I admit that I haven't the slightest idea how id could avoid making these monsters cheesy - they have a better chance with the Cyberdemon.

Originally posted by dsm
/Me wants to try Doom64
Yeah, the atmosphere in the music is cool, I haven't heard the background computer terminal sounds you talk about.
Btw Zaldron: You interpret the topic of this thread a bit too literally I think, e.g. when I suggested that the "Doom 3" arachnotron should be "influenced" by the looks of the D64 Arachno, I meant stuff like the fact that the D64 arachno has SIX legs instead of just four - if the arachno and SM are in the new Doom, at least they should have six mechanical legs instead of four.

But I admit that I haven't the slightest idea how id could avoid making these monsters cheesy - they have a better chance with the Cyberdemon.

Which are cheezy? those from Doom64 or Doom PC?

The Arachnotron in Doom64 is definitely more sexy than the one in PC Doom. Though I suppose that if it shows up in Doom3, it will most likely be designed almost from scratch...

Originally posted by Ultimate Demon

Which are cheezy? those from Doom64 or Doom PC?

Both I think (I'm not as good at discovering cheesiness as prof. Zaldron here).

Originally posted by SirTacoPaNtZ
considering the new engine they are working with, they should be able to make some sweet looking models

Yes of course. And those we've already seen do rock.

You probably know all that we know. And we don't know jack squat about the game.

Heheh... we're all dying here :)

Well, new screenshots should NOT be more than a couple of months away...

Originally posted by SirTacoPaNtZ
considering the new engine they are working with, they should be able to make some sweet looking models

Well it depends on what cind of graphics card you have. If you have a Geforce2 GTS or Ultra so forget the nice models and you will have blocky monsters while Geforce3 and Geforce4 users will have nice and sweet looking demons

to a degree yes

i have a geforce 3 ti 200 which still won't be able to handle most of the good graphics features of the new doom, which sucks. hell even if i had a geforce 4 i wouldnt be able to run it with high quality graphics and have a decent framerate. maybe i should start playing q3 on shitty graphics to start getting used to it :D

luckily- for those who can afford it: a graphics card that can handle the doom's gfx engine will most likely be out by the time doom is released. probably geforce 5/6 or its equivalent.

Radeon is good and ATI is only getting better and better whit it's drivers. Just wait a couple of months and you will se a new radeon card out whit really good drivers and will give Doom3 60 frames per second

The only Doom 3 info I'm really dying to hear about is what its real title will be - why are id so secretive about that aspect?
Haven't they made up their mind as to whether it should be a sequel or a remake?
The uncertainty as to whether it's a sequel or a remake is what really kills me.

Well, there are two things I would hope it to be (one more than the other)
a. A real sequel (which could be called Doom 3)

b. A remake. This one seems currently more likely than *a*, because a lot of things, id's hesitation to actually call it "Doom 3" among others, point in that direction. But we'll just have to wait and see...

But I really hope that 1) it's still called Doom <something> and 2) that it's NOT a prequel - I hate the mere thought of the new game being a prequel, simply because I find it hard to see where in the original story it would fit.

Originally posted by dsm
But I really hope that 1) it's still called Doom <something> and 2) that it's NOT a prequel - I hate the mere thought of the new game being a prequel, simply because I find it hard to see where in the original story it would fit.

An isolated experiment from one of UAC's competitors, that went catastrofically wrong and never got to the public thanks to a certain Marine who probably was exiled to some outer space station to keep his mouth shut.

Sure, id won't do that, but it's possible.

Such a story would be lame imo, two similar "Hell" incidents so close to each other? Nice try though.

Originally posted by Zaldron

An isolated experiment from one of UAC's competitors, that went catastrofically wrong and never got to the public thanks to a certain Marine who probably was exiled to some outer space station to keep his mouth shut.

Sure, id won't do that, but it's possible.

Well why not on another unknown base that the players don't know? it could have happened at the same times as in doom but maybe on mars or somewhere else ( in one of jupiters moons )