Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

ftp downtime

I need to bring the ftp server down tonight, I hope to have it up again by the end of the week.

Actually it *has* been down for about a week, I think!

Thanks for continuing to maintain it, but I'm not sure that anyone besides wesleyjohnson ever uses it. Honestly, it's a bit of a bottleneck too - I have to wait for someone else, usually Catoptromancy, to get stuff off it before I can make git patches, so things uploaded there tend to linger a long time before getting to the repository and daily builds.

RjY said:

Thanks for continuing to maintain it

You're welcome: I'm happy to continue to do so as long as it's useful (which is something I worry it might not be).

It should be back up soon (just waiting for free.doomers.org to be repointed to the new IP, which is 92.243.16.123)

Thanks for maintaining it.
Apparently there is no way for me to remove old files.
Does anyone delete the old stuff? Maybe after it gets committed.
Or maybe it should get moved to some other place after it gets committed ??
I think I got four old versions of levels hanging around there.

wesleyjohnson said:

Thanks for maintaining it.
Apparently there is no way for me to remove old files.
Does anyone delete the old stuff? Maybe after it gets committed.
Or maybe it should get moved to some other place after it gets committed ??
I think I got four old versions of levels hanging around there.

Catoptromancy should be cleaning out old files. Anonymous users cannot read or delete files — this is a security precaution, or a third party could use free.doomers.org to distribute anything to anyone else.

I sort them by date. I think there was a directory to move old files to. I keep losing the password, so it takes awhile to grab submissions off it.

Catoptromancy said:

I sort them by date. I think there was a directory to move old files to. I keep losing the password, so it takes awhile to grab submissions off it.

There's no old directory (at least any more): please delete stuff that you've either accepted or rejected for freedoom.

Do you need the password resetting?

We could have one incoming directory (writable., no read) and one visible directory (read only, no write).
Files being committed, and other approved documents, would get moved to the visible directory, where everyone could read them.
This could get done at the same time incoming files are committed and so would add little work.

It would be much easier to see that there is something in incoming that needs attention if all the old stuff had some other place to be, and why not make that place readable to all.

Unapproved third party files in incoming would get deleted and would never be readable.

SpeedyShare requires 4 or steps, copying a link, and then posting it in the forum. And then potential readers have to get it within a few days as it disappears suddenly. No good for long term exposure of incoming levels and sprites.
Using the ftp is one step, and it stays safe no matter how long it takes for someone to get to it. Does not even require posting in the forum, but I do so as a notification.

Allow me to use this thread to report another issue regarding free.doomers.org: the nightly snapshots aren't updating.

rjy@vile /tmp/freedoom % curl http://free.doomers.org/build.log
starting freedoom nightly build
Sun Jul 10 10:08:01 BST 2011
/home/jon/bin/freedoom: 19: make: not found
This has apparently been the case for a while (thanks to Protox for mentioning it in #freedoom)

RjY said:

Allow me to use this thread to report another issue regarding free.doomers.org: the nightly snapshots aren't updating.

rjy@vile /tmp/freedoom % curl http://free.doomers.org/build.log
starting freedoom nightly build
Sun Jul 10 10:08:01 BST 2011
/home/jon/bin/freedoom: 19: make: not found
This has apparently been the case for a while (thanks to Protox for mentioning it in #freedoom)

Oops. I totally forgot about that. It's probably just a missing cron job. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: think I've fixed it.