Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

about to buy top of the line 15" MacBook Pro

Should I get antiglare highres screen for final cut pro editing? 1650x1080 vs. 1440x900 (I believe).actualy pretty much decided I am getting the anti-glare screen.

Final Cut Express is only $179. Final Cut Pro is like $900 after discount I think.

What will I miss by buying Final Cut Express?
thanks ye ever-wise and emboldened DWers.

It's true I can run windoze on it and thus doom edit on the fancy beast? :D

Oh for video editing --500gb 7200rpm drive or 750gb 5400rpm drive? Space vs. speed! what a trade off. (cause you need both).

Get none of that bullshit and build your own computer, dude. I guaren-goddamn-tee you'll find something that fits your budget better than a fucking Mac. Try newegg.com and ask around this forum for a better, cheaper alternative.

Hellbent said:

Final Cut Express is only $179. Final Cut Pro is like $900 after discount I think.

What will I miss by buying Final Cut Express?
thanks ye ever-wise and emboldened DWers.

You will be missing $179.

Mr. Freeze said:

Get none of that bullshit and build your own computer, dude.

build a laptop?

Which resolution is the anti-glare? Will you be out in the sun or somewhere where glare will be managable?

You can get a top of the line prebuilt PC for the same price that'll be at least twice as good, hell for half the price or better you can get a PC that's just as good. You can build a PC for the same price that's four times as good. Why would you waste money on a Fisher Price computer designed for idiots? Newer.com is your friend.

I don't know why on earth you decided to ask this here, of all places. 90% of the people on this forum are stuck in the 90's Mac vs PC fanboy war as you can tell by the other responses. I'm pretty sure building a fucking desktop gaming PC is not a substitute for a laptop.

Guys, I need a macbook for work. I need a new laptop anyway. So instead of buying a low end (and still expensive) macbook pro for work, I'm getting a top of the line macbook pro for work which will be great for video editing as well for the promotion of the Common Good Bank. I've decided for the video project that the Final Cut Pro benefits outweigh the extra cost over FCE (even though $179 is damn cheap) such as multi-camera editing support and from tape batch capture and no soundtrack.

for the record, I love NewEgg. Does Final Cut Pro even run on a PC?

Hellbent said:

Does Final Cut Pro even run on a PC?

No, and that is presumably why I'm being asked to buy an Apple computer for my job as well.

Don't get your hopes too high though, Final Cut Pro is a competent program but also has a million flaws and is frankly a pain to work with. It's better than Express but with the new update coming it's going to just be a glorified and expensive iMovie. Honestly it's probably better to relearn AVID right now than to really get invested in Final Cut. The King's Speech was edited in Lightworks, which is free for Windows so at least alternatives are popping up.

WAIT FOR THE NEW FINAL CUT PRO TO COME OUT NOOB!

It will be $300 off the Mac App Store, they are ditching FCE.

I got my MBP with an SSD. Have you considered that? With Thunderbolt you can basically get an arbitrary amount of fast (faster than SATA) storage, without bothering with a POS laptop HDD.

Mr. Freeze said:

Get none of that bullshit and build your own computer, dude. I guaren-goddamn-tee you'll find something that fits your budget better than a fucking Mac. Try newegg.com and ask around this forum for a better, cheaper alternative.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Mr. T said:

With Thunderbolt you can basically get an arbitrary amount of fast (faster than SATA) storage, without bothering with a POS laptop HDD.

I'm sure it will be if anyone gets around to ever including thunderbolt on anything.

I know. I got sick of waiting and got a bunch of Lacie harddrives like this:
and daisychained them with FW800.

TB devices should be out "soon" though. Intel is including it on the MB for Ivy Bridge and Dell use MDP anyway so those are both good signs.

Hellbent said:

Guys, I need a macbook for work. I need a new laptop anyway.

Why? Is the company you work for one of the idiot ones that still thinks macs are better for media or something? Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't just customize a PC and be far more free in your choice.

One of the problems with new PC laptops is you never know for sure what you're buying. Manufacturers change chips like I do underwear, and then don't update the parts model number on box/specsheet to reflect that. Makes for a real PITA when trying to buy a new laptop that'll work with Linux/Unix drivers (esp. since lots of shops won't let you try before you buy). That's just one of the reasons I always get old/used "proven" stuff, besides that it's much cheaper or even free. ;) Anyway, there may be a similar issue when trying to get OS/X to run on PC hardware.

There are actually a handful of manufacturers that have a Linux option (esp. with netbooks, to cut costs) but there's no guarantee that some drivers won't be binary blobs, pretty much defeating one big reason for running Linux: complete control over your environment. Some may in fact be completely open-source, but again nothing remains constant in the hardware world, so it can be hard to tell what you're buying without booting the OS. And most store models run Windows, whereas you have to special order the Linux option.

Bottom line: you can never be sure if your new PC laptop will work 100% with anything other than the specific version of the OS that came bundled with it.

Considering he's considering buying a Macbook for work, I think we can rule out the possibility or wanting to run Linux or any miniscule thing that would cause certain hardware configs to be an issue.

It's not just Linux, but OS/X, *BSD, Solaris, or anything other than what the laptop came with (i.e. the most recent/current version of Windows). Heck, you might have trouble running a different version of Windows, if there's no equivalent, working/stable driver for an important (to you) component of that laptop.

They do sell some new PC laptops with OS/X, officially certified/endorsed and proven to work 100% with that hardware. But unless you buy one of those, you can't be certain it'll work 100%. And those laptops are only a small subset of all PC laptops being sold.

So that's why many people who want to run OS/X on a brand new laptop choose a MacBook. There's no guessing, you know everything is going to work flawlessly (assuming the hardware isn't faulty, of course).

I don't personally care about OS/X (or Windows), but I understand the issues intimately, because OpenBSD doesn't allow any kind of closed binary blob. If an open driver doesn't exist, they have to reverse-engineer it. It's much safer that way (no untrusted code running in kernel mode) and less buggy too, since flaws in the driver can be corrected. But it also becomes very obvious when a hardware manufacturer makes a small revision and doesn't update that part's model number, because then that driver simply doesn't work correctly anymore. And those switcheroo situations happen frequently enough that I'd never take a gamble on a new laptop. It's not worth spending lots of money and possibly end up with a non-working machine...

tl;dr : People buy MacBook because they want to make sure all their shit will work right with OS/X.

hex11 said:

They do sell some new PC laptops with OS/X, officially certified/endorsed and proven to work 100% with that hardware. But unless you buy one of those, you can't be certain it'll work 100%. And those laptops are only a small subset of all PC laptops being sold.

I'm fairly certain they don't and that's why people have to buy an entirely different computer to run this particular operating system. Officially certified/endorsed is practically an impossibility.

Bank said:

I'm fairly certain they don't and that's why people have to buy an entirely different computer to run this particular operating system. Officially certified/endorsed is practically an impossibility.

I saw some "official" OS/X laptops with x86 hardware at Best Buy a couple years ago (yeah I don't go to these stores very often...) Maybe those were actually Apple MacBooks. I just remember they had both the traditional MacBooks and these x86 models on display.

Didn't really pay much attention to them. A friend was going gaga over them, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed them at all. So yeah, I could very well be wrong about that.

hex11 said:

People buy MacBook because they want to make sure all their shit will work right with OS/X.

Uh, what? people buy a MacBook because they need/want a Macbook. Most Apple users don't give two shits about the OS on it. And why should they? People buy a mac to run applications made for mac. And by people, I mean the majority, not the minority around here that use hobbyist OSes.

and ALL Macs are pretty much Intel now. PowerPC is dead and gone on that platform.

hex11 said:

The ironic thing is that this new breed of "Macintels" contains the equivalent of pretty stock PC hardware, if you did in deep. The chipsets used are pretty common (and well supported) Intel ones, as is the audio (just some Intel-based HD Codec) and the graphics (usually nVidia integrated). OK, the very latest have an "all in one" nVidia chipset, but still, they are nothing mysterious or exotic regarding their hardware. If you can find a non-Mac notebook with the same CPU and chipset, it will probably work just as well.

Csonicgo said ...

My comment was not about the underlying motivation for running OS/X. It was about why you may not wish to buy commodity PC hardware in order to run OS/X (and thus the apps that it supports).

Maes said:

The ironic thing is that this new breed of "Macintels" contains the equivalent of pretty stock PC hardware, if you did in deep. The chipsets used are pretty common (and well supported) Intel ones, as is the audio (just some Intel-based HD Codec) and the graphics (usually nVidia integrated). OK, the very latest have an "all in one" nVidia chipset, but still, they are nothing mysterious or exotic regarding their hardware. If you can find a non-Mac notebook with the same CPU and chipset, it will probably work just as well.

Hackintosh FTW

The Windows emulator Parallels is also an option. I've used Parallels for a few years now.

I'm almost sure you're fully capable to use Boot Camp and install Windows and Mac on the same machine with your current software. Once I reformat, I'm planning to use the Boot Camp method. Windows emulation has worked good for me, but I have had some issues. You just have to sacrifice the convenience of using both OS's at once.

Boot Camp is better but your machine will have no trouble handling Virtualbox (virtualbox.org), we use it on our comps at work for Wind0ze apps that don't warrant a restart. It's similar to Parallels but free.

exp(x) said:

Virtualization and emulation are very different concepts.

School me, bro.

Mr. T said:

Boot Camp is better but your machine will have no trouble handling Virtualbox (virtualbox.org), we use it on our comps at work for Wind0ze apps that don't warrant a restart. It's similar to Parallels but free.

Do you have any long transfer issues? One issue I've had/am having with Parallels is the long transfer time when swapping files.