Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Final Doom PS1 Question

The PS1 port of Doom/Doom 2 had a wopping 58 maps. Final Doom PS1 has only 30, and some of them, oddly enough, are from the Master Levels for Doom 2 CD. Does anyone know why this is?

If I recall, it was due to the limitations of the Playstation. Many of the TNT and Plutonia maps were far too large for the Playstation's hardware and it would've had to been edited to an unrecognizable degree. The Master Levels were tossed in to help fill the void and didn't require as much editing.

footman said:

If I recall, it was due to the limitations of the Playstation. Many of the TNT and Plutonia maps were far too large for the Playstation's hardware and it would've had to been edited to an unrecognizable degree. The Master Levels were tossed in to help fill the void and didn't require as much editing.

I kind of figured that was the case. I haven't actually played PC Final Doom, but I've seen some videos and it appears that some of the maps are pretty large and expansive, with tons of enemies. That would also explain why PS1 Final Doom's "Ultraviolence" difficulty setting plays more like "Hurt me Plenty."

Cyanosis said:

The best part of PSX Final Doom was the new SSG graphics.

Ugh, the original was so bad looking. Final Doom SSG was perfect looking.

I prefer the japanese version where the ssg looks the same and the number of maps was increased to 74.

_bruce_ said:

I prefer the japanese version where the ssg looks the same and the number of maps was increased to 74.

Seriously? There are 64 maps in Final Doom PC, are the extra ten exclusive?

TrueDude said:

The guy who ported PS1 Doom to GZDoom should do Final Doom too.

The problem there is that there are currently no tools to get into the compressed .DAT files that PSX Final Doom uses. PSX Doom had .WAD files which were easily accessible and Kaiser developed tools to convert them into a format that PC editors could recognise. Unless someone figures out PSX Final's file format, the only way to get it onto PC is by remaking the maps from scratch, A big job.

scalliano said:

Unless someone figures out PSX Final's file format, the only way to get it onto PC is by remaking the maps from scratch, A big job.

fack :(

who might have that capacity?

scalliano said:

The problem there is that there are currently no tools to get into the compressed .DAT files that PSX Final Doom uses. PSX Doom had .WAD files which were easily accessible and Kaiser developed tools to convert them into a format that PC editors could recognise. Unless someone figures out PSX Final's file format, the only way to get it onto PC is by remaking the maps from scratch, A big job.

IIRC, The maps are stored in some kind of ROM format on the PSX disc for Final Doom, which is completely different than regular PSX Doom. I actually PM'ed Kaiser about converting PSX Final Doom maps to the PC awhile back, and it seems like even he couldn't do anything about it after looking through the data (He never got back to me about it, so I can only assume that).

An interesting anecdote about PSX Final Doom: It seems like Final Doom was actually ported to the PSX on a whim. It was originally intended for Quake to come to the PSX. However, when that fell through, Williams Entertainment, who originally ported PSX Doom, still had licensing from id software to port their games to the PSX. So instead of giving PSX fans nothing, they decided to port maps from The Master Levels and Final Doom, considering they already had a Doom engine already set up for the system. I'm not sure how true this story is, but it would be interesting if it was true.

Yeah, .ROM, not .DAT, oops.

What was ironic was that PSX Quake fell through because they believed that the PSX wouldn't be able to run it, despite the Saturn version actually being quite good. Three years later Quake II was ported to the PSX ...

Maybe the Quake 1 engine wasn't good with consoles. Hell, they didn't even use the Quake engine for the Saturn port. Slavedriver FTW.

_bruce_ said:

WTF? That is somehow... unbelievable. If it's true, PROVIDE PROOF OF THIS NAO!

buttspit said:

WTF? That is somehow... unbelievable. If it's true, PROVIDE PROOF OF THIS NAO!

I have the japanese version of the game. It's all but identical to the US and PAL versions.

Are you talking about PSX Final Doom or PSX Doom?

I wasn't even aware that PSX Final Doom received overseas releases (relative to North America).

footman said:

I have had this game (PSX Doom) crash once when I was playing the Courtyard map and there were a lot of enemies on screen, I got a black screen with a message saying texture cache overflow so the PSX Doom could only handle so many sprites on screen at once. But it was a good achievement with cool coloured lighting and dark and spooky maps. The PSX Final Doom maps Vesperas & Minos were very good in the PSX Doom engine. Truly a good PSX release. The PSX Quake2 was also very good.

buttspit said:

Are you talking about PSX Final Doom or PSX Doom?

I wasn't even aware that PSX Final Doom received overseas releases (relative to North America).

Final Doom. Oddly enough, the japanese release is devoid of Japanese text. Even the endings are in english, identical to the US/PAL releases. The only thing that's really changed is the copyright text at the game's start up and a lack of the Sony Computer Entertainment text.

neubejiita said:

I have had this game (PSX Doom) crash once when I was playing the Courtyard map and there were a lot of enemies on screen, I got a black screen with a message saying texture cache overflow so the PSX Doom could only handle so many sprites on screen at once. But it was a good achievement with cool coloured lighting and dark and spooky maps. The PSX Final Doom maps Vesperas & Minos were very good in the PSX Doom engine. Truly a good PSX release. The PSX Quake2 was also very good.

Had that exact error message appear during Suburbs!

footman said:

Final Doom. Oddly enough, the japanese release is devoid of Japanese text. Even the endings are in english, identical to the US/PAL releases. The only thing that's really changed is the copyright text at the game's start up and a lack of the Sony Computer Entertainment text.

So 74 levels... which ones are these?

neubejiita said:

I have had this game (PSX Doom) crash once when I was playing the Courtyard map and there were a lot of enemies on screen, I got a black screen with a message saying texture cache overflow so the PSX Doom could only handle so many sprites on screen at once.

heh

buttspit said:

So 74 levels... which ones are these?

It was a joke. There are only 30 levels in all versions of PSX Final Doom. And it was released in all 3 major video gaming regions, as proven here and here.

neubejiita said:

The PSX Quake2 was also very good.

Well, for one, it didn't really lag like other PSX shooters. Four player multiplayer on one console. PSX Q2 was probably the best PSX shooter.

EDIT: ABove video reminds me of Terminator...