Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Marine's Folly

/idgames Link

Myself and Valkiriforce created this over the course of 3 days, the shortest amount of time from development to release when collaborating.

It is a Inmost Dens styled map that is very non-linear and has plenty of monsters to kill for the trigger happy.

This replaces MAP14 and should be vanilla compatible and feedback is very much appreciated.

FDA.

The first minutes were enjoyable. Then I stumbled upon a 64x64 lift. I could hear revenant sounds on top. I told myself "surely they wouldn't be silly enough to stick a revenant on top of that lift, it has to be behind a wall or something" and rode it up. A pointblank fireball later, I was back to using the pistol.

Ok, just a minor bump in an otherwise enjoyable level.

That is, until a few more minutes when I realised every room looked too similar for me to be able to navigate the level, and while there were some architectural changes, I couldn't tell what happened at all. I started stumbling through the map, wildly pressing space at anything that remotely looked like it could be a switch, and when I finally found one, ran around the whole level multiple times until I could spot the new revealed path, and so on.

Ultimately, I happened to see what seemed to be the path to the exit, killed the last two shotgun guys... And opened a door to find myself back at the start. At this point, I opened the automap, looked absolutely everywhere... No clue where the exit is. Ran a bit around... Still couldn't see anything. I left.

The opposition seemed fairly light even on UV, but not overwhelming so. The main issue is that I can't remember a single fight, it's just shotgun guy after demon after imp after chaingunner and it all becomes a blur. I was lost in the layout, lost in the gameplay ; I'm not saying it's a bad map necessarily, I enjoyed it for the twenty-something minutes I played it.

Cool map. Found the exit no problem.

@Phml: I found the revenant you had trouble with and the room it's in has several entrances. Also, you can't have looked everywhere else you'd have found the exit, did you get to the trap that pulls you into an underground cave?

Recorded an FDA an encountered a similar problem to Phml when it came to a certain point. You'll see me get absolutely lost for a bit, which hurt my perception of the map's flow. Two things:

-Health felt a bit abundant
-For some reason, I feel like this sucker needs an arch-vile thrown in the mix.

Not bad overall.

A bit too linear, yea. I've had some past maps being criticized of being linear but this is a change from the older maps.

I could change one of the monsters in the final switch ambush to an arch-vile and that can really make things hectic.

I liked it - COOL. FDA in 15:14 Had a little problem with finding the last switch, but that's okay for me.
And I agree with Snakes, some arch-viles would be fun.

I'll post a new version that reduces amount of health available and adding an archie to the final ambush.

This is now on /idgames now. Check the first post's link.