Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waffenak

PS1 Doom revenant

Have you noticed that ps1 Doom port has revenant voice you can't hear in any other Doom port? Maybe it was meant also for doom 64 doom, because it sounds very doom64:ish

Aubrey Hodges did the sound and music for both games, so yes. There's also a couple Revenant(active and punching sounds) sounds that go unused in Doom 64.

footman said:

Aubrey Hodges did the sound and music for both games, so yes. There's also a couple Revenant(active and punching sounds) sounds that go unused in Doom 64.

In the rom?

Well did you notice that many of the sounds in PSX/Saturn Doom and PSX Final Doom are not used in any other port? Hmm, that's very interesting.

:P

Considering most of Doom 64's sound effects came from PSX Doom, it's a given that they are going to sound similar.

I personally think Revenants in the PSX version are more threatening then in any other port because they ALWAYS fire homing missiles and never missiles that go straight. But their homing missiles kind of seem slower and choppier though.

DXBigBoss said:

I personally think Revenants in the PSX version are more threatening then in any other port because they ALWAYS fire homing missiles and never missiles that go straight. But their homing missiles kind of seem slower and choppier though.

The funny part is that all Revenant missiles were intended to be homing, but since there's a fortunate bug in the missile code, it seems to be the luck of the draw whether it's homing or not.

Csonicgo said:

The funny part is that all Revenant missiles were intended to be homing, but since there's a fortunate bug in the missile code, it seems to be the luck of the draw whether it's homing or not.

The bug is trivial to fix. I think it can even be done with dehacked. So I think they intentionally didn't fix it.

I'm guessing they intentionally didn't fix it, too.

Don't the homing fireball sprites seem different than the non-homing fireballs of the revenants? There's like extra smoke or something.

Homing has smoke. Non-homing doesn't. Homing may also be a little slower, but I'm not sure.

tempun said:

The bug is trivial to fix. I think it can even be done with dehacked.

What? How can a bug in a PS1 executable be fixed in dehacked?

Scet said:

What? How can a bug in a PS1 executable be fixed in dehacked?

I think he meant on PC, PS1 is claimed not to have it.

I also never realized that the random homing/non-homing was a bug. I've noticed homing has smoke while non-homing doesn't. But what is the bug that causes it not to hom?

It's not really a bug, I think. The Revenant tracer function will only execute on every third tic, and this looks intentional as something like this, if not intentional, would only be the fault of a copy-pasta error... are there any other parts of the code that will only execute on the third tic?

The "only one half missiles being homing" thing comes from the fact that the revenant fireball has two states, both with a delay of two tics. Due to this, if the fireball is launched on a second or fourth tic, it will never ever reach the third tic because there's no way I know of to get three from only 2 and 2. However, if it's launched on a first or third tic, every other A_Tracer call will actually do something.