Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Bands from your country that you are proud of

So , I am asking you guys...do you have any bands in your country that you are proud of?

One of the best metal bands from my country is the progressive black metal band Negura Bunget and it is also one of my favorite bands even though I am not a big black metal fan (I mostly listen to metal from the '80s)

Here are a few songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnXcl3tYyDs&feature=related (Cunoasterea tacuta = Silent Knowledge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LifUxRo03GM (Umbra = The Shadow)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Ox0CYN_d0 (De piatra = Of stone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbXYSJLod9o&feature=related (Hora Soarelui - The Sun's Dance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNzilBmmHyw&feature=related (Cumpat = Temperance)

The band uses many archaic romanian words and is heavily influenced by dacian and romanian culture (the dacians are our ancestors who were regarded as being very fierce warriors) and is quite popular in Romania (well at least to metal listeners)

Sadly, the bad split in 2009 and 2 of the most important members started a similar band called Dordeduh

Well, I live in the USA, so it would be kind of lame to just pick whatever American band, so I'll just go with bands from Washington. There have been many, many good ones:

The band members of Soundgarden actually live in my county, and I know people who have run into them in town. My mom once caught the bassist listening in on her conversation about Frank Zappa with the manager of a local record store. Also, I had a friend who worked at a local antiques store who sold stuff to both him and Chris Cornell.

And last but not least...

Though, I like his song about chicks in my hometown more. :P

I find it hard to feel pride for something that I am not responsible for. There are plenty of bands from my country that I like (and plenty that I don't) but given that my involvement is only that of a listener, consumer, concert goer or fan, I can't say that pride comes into it.

DooM_RO said:

Negura Bunget

I prefer their older songs, the new ones almost sound like the Heretic 2 soundtrack (lots of timpani, symphonic instruments and/or whatever). Example start of older album here.

Also Trooper (not from Canada). I like their latest Vlad Tepes (sample here) album and their first full album Trooper I (sample here) a lot.

Sadly, most people here are from the US; there won't be much ethnicity left.

Since I'm from Canada, I'm going to list these guys:

Rush
Anvil
Gorguts
Cryptopsy (except Unspoken King)
Devin Townsend + SYL

i'm czech and 99.9% of our modern music is utter trash. our popular music scene lives off making horrible covers of foreign songs with mind numbing lyrics. anything "original" just copies whatever is/was trendy or belongs to alco-rock, an abomination genre popular because our music taste has rotten away during the communism era.

proud? not really. i just wouldn't be personally ashamed to have people listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u6AUeS3Rr8
lvmen, hardcore/postmetal band of (central) european fame. possibly the best we have to offer, niche as it may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_o5CyucKM
lucie, a long time rock band that had a golden era during late 80s and early 90s. they went stale ever since, but they're by far the best our mainstream has to offer.

dew, do you know "The Plastic People Of The Universe"? I think they are amazing! My fav song:

Enjay said:

I find it hard to feel pride for something that I am not responsible for. There are plenty of bands from my country that I like (and plenty that I don't) but given that my involvement is only that of a listener, consumer, concert goer or fan, I can't say that pride comes into it.

This, exactly. I had a six paragraph rant about the topic, ready to post, but this actually summarizes my feelings much more succinctly, and possibly less insultingly.

Disclaimer: These videos are for informational purposes only. Watch and listen at own risk. Viewing may cause ear bleeding, purchasing of oversized pickup tires and church attendance.

/crying eagle

There is seriously no band to be proud of in Slovakia. At least something from Czechoslovakia times.

The Lag said:

wouldn't it be better to make a thread about bands from your home-town that you are proud of?
i live in tampa, florida so i can of course list:

You could probably add Death to that list. Yeah they were from Orlando but did a bunch of recordings in Tampa.

Mithran Denizen said:

This, exactly. I had a six paragraph rant about the topic, ready to post, but this actually summarizes my feelings much more succinctly, and possibly less insultingly.

Could be because both you and Enjay probably live in countries that don't need people being proud of their national values. Other countries (such as mine) are full of shitty non-melodic songs and copycat art, where gems need to be highlit out of the kitsch. The likes of Lady Gaga are way better than what's created here.

Danarchy said:

Well, I live in the USA, so it would be kind of lame to just pick whatever American band, so I'll just go with bands from Washington. There have been many, many good ones:

Memfis said:

dew, do you know "The Plastic People Of The Universe"? I think they are amazing!

yeah, i guess they are famous as well. i don't enjoy their music, however, and i think their reputation got a serious boost when the communist regime chose them as a poster child for "the destructive influence of the west" and banned them with a bang. there were many other artists blacklisted in silence which never received this huge nonconformist/disident label and faded into obscurity. many see the plastics as a bunch of drunkards pulled into a political war. :)

I'm going to use Danarchy's idea of sticking to my state.

The Godz: Columbus, Ohio band. Danny Boyd and Rikki Soga grew up down the street from me.

Dean Martin: Steubenville, Ohio

Joe Walsh lived for a number of years in Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio.

McGuffey Lane: Columbus, Ohio band.

Chrissie Hynde: Akron, Ohio.

heh I put a pooltable in for one of these guys or all of them or, hell, I dunno.
I do know that as I was loading it up, the salesman was freakin' out and carrying on
about how it was going to "blah, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, blah!!!". Whatever. i'm so "proud"

EDIT: removed yt links

Bands from Pennsylvania... well, there's Ween, and we have Trent Reznor, and there are a bunch of classic soul acts from Philly...

Nah.
The Roots.

Well, can't say I'm really proud of them, because frankly, IMO they've been doing shit for the last 15 years... But they were great in the 80's and it was the first band that came to mind:

S.H.E, A Taiwan band group. This song's name is "Don't want to grow up", it's one of the most famous song sung by them. As I said before, Mainland China's singers and bands sucks!

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't know of any Virginia bands I like, but DC is close enough I guess

Dude, Lamb of God.