Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Zdoom on a Mac

I read on the Zdoom thread that Esselfortium was going to playtest the new Mac compatible Zdoom. Instead of PMing him if he had done so, I figured a thread might be useful to other Mac users out there.

So, is it true? I will be able to run Zdoom on my new Macbook Pro with Intel processor?

Yes. However, you will need to build the latest SVN revision using the instructions on the ZDoom wiki, or find someone who has already compiled a binary. I'd make one but I don't have a Mac...

Ok, thanks. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. My MacBook Pro is currently in transit.

EDIT: I guess the other question, and maybe I'm pushing my luck with this one: is it possible to DM cross-platform?

Hellbent said:

I guess the other question, and maybe I'm pushing my luck with this one: is it possible to DM cross-platform?

Why wouldn't it?

Hellbent said:

Ok, thanks. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. My MacBook Pro is currently in transit.

EDIT: I guess the other question, and maybe I'm pushing my luck with this one: is it possible to DM cross-platform?

As long as they are using the same svn version of ZDoom, yes. I've done it between Linux and Windows.

MP2E said:

find someone who has already compiled a binary. I'd make one but I don't have a Mac...

I've been building universal binaries on DRDTeam for awhile now.

Yes the net code is compatible and it should work between PPC, x86, and x86_64 as well.

Hellbent said:

is it possible to DM cross-platform?

Yes. and the 3 major multiplayer ports have Mac builds.

MP2E said:

Yes. However, you will need to build the latest SVN revision using the instructions on the ZDoom wiki, or find someone who has already compiled a binary. I'd make one but I don't have a Mac...

My MacBook Pro arrived. I don't suppose someone wants to help walk me through this?

Hellbent said:

My MacBook Pro arrived. I don't suppose someone wants to help walk me through this?

Step 1: go to this place
Step 2: download one of the files. You can probably assume that the earlier, the better.
Step 3: use whatever Mac voodoo is provided by the system to install stuff from a disc image (dmg) file.
Step 4: run ZDoom.

where do i put the doom iwad file?

EDIT: Figured it out--paste it into the folder "Mac OS"

EDIT: Thanks for the help! Now to just figure out how to get it to run in full screen :)

EDIT: Got it to go full screen, now having trouble getting the + key to do it's thing (make the status bar disappear)

Anyone have any idea how to get the +/= key to work in Mac Zdoom? I can't get the screen to go bigger, only smaller. So now it's really small with the thick marble border framing the teeny screen. You know, like old school when you made it smaller on your 386 SX33 because you didn't want to play the stills image version of the game. ;)