Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

How do you plan your maps?

Those of you who don't map directly, how do you best plan your maps? I'm curious if accessible (non-proprietary, heh) computer programs are recommended to aid in this. Drawing with the pencil ain't my cup of tea -- using the eraser sucks and is too old-fashioned in this digital era (it reminds me of school, and school sucks). I'm having difficulty and serious lack of inspiration for mapping directly.

I usually do most of the planning in my head, but if I want to put ideas down into fixed form (so I don't forget them), I still find simple paper sketches to be the quickest and easiest method, barring access to a level editor. The big advantage of this is that I can also use the same pages to try out little thumbnail sketches of the intended architecture as seen in-game.

Sometimes I'll do all this with an image editor like Photoshop or the GIMP instead of with paper, but if I have access to a computer I'll more often just move the ideas straight from my head into a dedicated level editor.

Sometimes when I have several disconnected areas that haven't been fully connected together into something playable yet, I'll sketch incoherent arrows and lines out of sectors in the void in the vain hopes that I'll remember what I intended them to represent.

Pencils + erasers + graph paper = old school D&D mapping!

Guess what I used to do in boring classes? ;)

sticky notes. lots of sticky notes that have small map sections drawn on them. I ended up getting myself a little notebook for drawing these ideas in but so far it just seems to house more sticky notes...

-t

I was asking about computer's help because there are those almost true 3d GZDoom maps to worry about... Eternity portal maps with space paradox are another can of worms...

I generally don't sketch out maps on paper anymore. This is something I used to do while in high school where I didn't have access to a level editor, and that was a decade ago.

It may have been what kept me inspired as a mapper, as I produced a lot of maps back then. Then again, my maps nowadays tend to be much more ambitious, and my standards have risen significantly since.

I form mental "screenshots" of areas in my upcoming map that help describe what the map's atmosphere and general appearance will be like. The fresher the image is in my mind, the less room for interpretation and creativity there is, so I like to let it simmer on the brain for a while.

I may also find myself in notepad, jotting down notes about what series of events players may encounter, or how the map works from a gameplay stance. I usually only create unconventional wads that explore a new gameplay mechanic, so writing things in notepad is a fitting behavior. Even though I know what the maps will do, I write everything down in a fashion where an outside observer can understand what I'm trying to do. I think it helps reinforce what I'm trying to pull off and gives me some goals to go by.

Keeping the map in my mind seems to work pretty well for me and I have a terrible memory, yet my maps seem to come out okay regardless. I don't need to write or draw anything.

printz said:

I was asking about computer's help because there are those almost true 3d GZDoom maps to worry about... Eternity portal maps with space paradox are another can of worms...

Sry printz. In terms of a pc tool to assist in visualizing some more 3d environments maybe checkout google sketchup? I guess because doom mapping is still 2d in nature it's hard to find something with same simplicity with a 3d slant I guess ( I say guess because I haven't looked at this comprehensively).

I guess the other thing is if you are struggling for inspiration to maybe try making some small test/demo maps in various styles (new texture etc) and you might come across something that might snowball into some greater form of inspiration?

Ps. I don't use pencil. Erasing is for wimps ;o)

Goodluck mate
-t

Well, I think Doom Builder is such a handy tool for this task. You could go for the Version 1.68 if DB2 is too demanding. DB1 is still available on the Doom Builder site.

I even used DB1 to sketch a map for a board game.

I don't plan my maps, planned maps suck. I have an idea pop into my head whilst living my life out of my computer and then build a sector or two around the idea. I usually then build the rest of the map around each sector. Until the map is big enough and fun enough, then I add secrets and what not, then I add detail, then I add decoration items then finally see what music and sky fits the level.

Never plan a map; they look like they've been tried too hard on.

I'm always just absolutely stumped by speedmappers. It doesn't even seem possible. I'm lucky if I can think up a room in an hour.

Well, back in the day (of DCK and EdMap), I would just start mapping and go with whatever ideas popped in my head. This often led to some really weird E2 style maps. The biggest one had a techbase start area from which one corridor connected to vast underground caverns, and then eventually a one-way shaft that dropped further down still into the fiery pits of hell. Real original stuff. ;)

I haven't done jack squat lately except tweak some existing maps, and then start my own FreeDM arena-style map. It's real simple architecture-wise (no need for fancy design tools), but I'm finding it hard to decide on a good texture theme, so I try something and let it sit for some time, and then mess with it some more.

I don't plan, which is probably why I get mapper's block extremely frequently. Pretty much, I'll get inspiration from seeing something or just get an idea randomly and want to build it in Doombuilder, and when I find I don't really have the skill to I give up.

Sometimes, though, it does work out and I get to build it and it makes me happy. That's a good day when mapping. I might try sketching or something some time, but that's never really helped me in the past because I suck at drawing.

Actually, though, once I tried making a flow-chart of how this map I'm working on should progress, and it gave me a lot of ideas for it. I know exactly what I need to build for it, it's just a matter of finding the time, motivation, and inspiration to make it happen. Probably the closest I've come to "planning" a map, and most successful method I've tried. I might have a picture of the flow chart somewhere.

I think it's really good to get inspiration from your favorite maps. I remember making a list of maps I give a 10/10 and lining them up with one another and thinking, "I'd like to make maps like that." I have an odd habit of opening megawads in XWE and looking at all the maps without the blue graph in the background so it's just the bare bone structure I can stare upon. I also tend to list a bunch of names for maps I come up with and save it in a notepad. I usually already have a bunch of interesting automap views in my head of entire maps and what I imagine it would look like in the game (this usually comes from looking at other maps for a long time on XWE). Anyway, I hope that's helpful.

I don't. I just either don't feel like doing anything, or I'll make the bases of like 5 maps in the space of a few days. A general theme is a must, though. If I just start a new map and don't have any idea what it will be like, 99% of the time it's junk and goes to the pile of worthless attempts.

hex11 said:

Pencils + erasers + graph paper = old school D&D mapping!

Guess what I used to do in boring classes? ;)

That's what I do in class :P.

First of all (optional), I decide which map slot should I choose to focus how simple or difficult is that map. Then I choose the main theme (TECHBASE, hellish, rocky, mixed...).

And after that I'll think about something special for that map to follow. Then I'll start thinking about the first view (player start), playing music is good to see which one fit.

The biggest part is the imagination. Imagination has no limits and it is easy and fast to get ideas from mind, I imagine myself playing the map, I imagine a trap got me, I imagine that this door is locked... etc. Then changing these thoughts into a piece of paper.

Lastly.... Duh! Doom Builder!

My problem is that I'm kinda a lazy sometimes.

How about this? Start by designing the bare outlines of the map (directly into the editor) -- choose the rough textures and shapes to go with, until you finish the design. Then, probably, go with placing the gameplay relevant things (Things and traps). Then, go with the detail and things like ambient sounds, special effects.

I believe 40oz maps like this, based on how some of his screenshots looked like.

I generally start with a basic idea to feature in a would-be level, a very rough layout on how the level should flow. With a basic determination to keep things small, distinct. Most of times, it actually starts like that. Then the very shape of this basic outline generates more context, shaping sculpting the game world into something more, summoning into being that what was always there waiting patiently uncaringly in the voids between and now is: your new reality.

I've tried a wide number of mapping techniques in my time. These are:

-Getting an idea and making a small map based around it
-Planning out the entire map in my head and trying to get it all down in the editor before I lose interest
-Just making the map without any forethought or planning at all
-Have one or two areas in my head and make an entire map around those (similar to the first one really)
-Draw vague outlines and plans on paper and extrapolate from those in the editor
-Draw vague outlines and plans in the editor and then extrapolate from there (like how printz said in his most recent post)
-Make a small section and then store it away for later. Eventually you'll have enough sections for a patchwork map
-Look at somebody elses work (or old maps of my own) and see how you, personally, would want to improve it

I've released (and/or contributed) 71 maps total so far, and made a few more that haven't seen the light of day and I can safely say I still don't know whats the best approach.

I usually end up with a few vague ideas or objectives that then get mapped in to an otherwise entirely unplanned map though.