Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkforce002

Anti-Virus Node builder problems

For some reason the zdbsp.exe node builder in DooM Builder 2 keeps
being removed by Norton, claiming it's a "High Risk" program. so is there a way to upgrade the node builder so norton won't remove it?

Darkforce002 said:

Norton

There's your problem. Get something better, I dunno, I've heard that AVG and Avast are good. But it's probably best to hear from someone else who has more knowledge in this.

You should be fine with Norton and the occasional scan with Malwarebytes

As for your actual question, I have McAfee so I dunno. I'd just try to find your access protection settings and see if there is somewhere to make exceptions for programs.

DuckReconMajor said:

find your access protection settings and see if there is somewhere to make exceptions for programs.

Norton for some reason overides exceptions for "High Risk" programs. and is possible to make maps without a node builder? and norton doesn't allow other Anti-Virus programs to run on the same Computer.

(Edit) I fixed it! for some reason that node builder goes in to this area of the CPU C:\Users\(your User profile)\AppData\Local

so I had norton make an exception for that folder and it's subfolders (and after digging around in the help files for norton, I found norton does block exceptions for High risk programs if the program itself is only one excepted)

Darkforce002 said:

and norton doesn't allow other Anti-Virus programs to run on the same Computer.

So who owns this computer, you or Norton?

Darkforce002 said:

and norton doesn't allow other Anti-Virus programs to run on the same Computer.

Malwarebytes is just a scanner, not active protection, so it won't interfere with other anti-virus programs.

Submit zdbsp.exe for re-testing (assuming Norton provides that option) with a brief note explaining what the program does and where it can be found. With any luck they'll fix the problem, though (regardless of the anti-virus vendor involved) I'd use a local exception and wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Does Norton provide any detailed description of why it believes ZDBSP to be a risk? I'm intrigued as to what it could possibly think it is.

natt said:

So who owns this computer, you or Norton?

Anti-Virus programs don't allow other Anti-Virus programs to run. (because they can cause problems when running at the same time; like crashing the computer by using too much memory and processing, and they can "Fight" each other by trying to force you to uninstall to other one.)

DaniJ said:

Does Norton provide any detailed description of why it believes ZDBSP to be a risk? I'm intrigued as to what it could possibly think it is.

more than likely ZDBSP was made with a program that is often used to generate, and encode viruses. some times programs made with C+++ will get detected by Anti-Virus programs and then make you delete it.

Darkforce002 said:

Anti-Virus programs don't allow other Anti-Virus programs to run. (because they can cause problems when running at the same time; like crashing the computer by using too much memory and processing, and they can "Fight" each other by trying to force you to uninstall to other one.)

Yeah, I'm sure we all understand that they do this shit. The question is why you allow some crappy piece of software to have so much control over your computer that you can't do the things you want to with it.

Uninstall Norton and use an anti-virus that respects that it is in fact your computer.

cant do that for two reasons
1. I spent about $70 on it.
2. I like Norton, even though at times
(like this one) it can be a pain in the butt,
its a great Anti-Virus program, and also my
problem is already solved. and I wouldn't go as
far to say that it's the programs fault,
because its not. the node builder might have been
made it in a way that norton thinks its malware, think
about it, the node builder goes into a place where some
Viruses go.

Darkforce002 said:

more than likely ZDBSP was made with a program that is often used to generate, and encode viruses.

Wut, a compiler? There must be an awful lot of virii out there...

RTC_Marine said:

fuck norton, use microsoft security essentials, it offers real time protection and its... free

yeah soo...
I have that program (oddly enough Norton doesn't notice it),
it provides protection, but not enough protection, there are penlty
of virus on the web that can bypass microsoft security essentials.
trust me, the last computer I had that had microsoft security essentials by it's self... crashed and died because of a trojan
virus.

(Edit)

boris said:

Upload it to http://www.virustotal.com/ to see what other scanners think.

I sent it in and the websites feeback was...
(Drum roll....)
IT'S CLEAN!

Darkforce002 said:

more than likely ZDBSP was made with a program that is often used to generate, and encode viruses.

Yep, bloody compilers. There ought to be a law against them.

What we most likely have here is a "false positive", unless you acquired your copy of ZDBSP for a less than reputable source. There's so much malware out there that virus checkers have long since ceased trying to identify them individually and unambiguously (your PC would have no time to do anything else) and instead rely on "definition strings" to identify viral code. Occasionally one of those strings finds a match in non-viral code - such as the header block in .RAR archives, which for about a week were being deleted/quarantined by Nod32 as malicious code.

GreyGhost said:

Yep, bloody compilers. There ought to be a law against them.

What we most likely have here is a "false positive", unless you acquired your copy of ZDBSP for a less than reputable source. There's so much malware out there that virus checkers have long since ceased trying to identify them individually and unambiguously (your PC would have no time to do anything else) and instead rely on "definition strings" to identify viral code. Occasionally one of those strings finds a match in non-viral code - such as the header block in .RAR archives, which for about a week were being deleted/quarantined by Nod32 as malicious code.

Yeah, thats more then likely what the cause of my problem is.
(read my post before grey ghosts last post, cuze I edited it.)

Darkforce002 said:

yeah soo...
I have that program (oddly enough Norton doesn't notice it),
it provides protection, but not enough protection, there are penlty
of virus on the web that can bypass microsoft security essentials.
trust me, the last computer I had that had microsoft security essentials by it's self... crashed and died because of a trojan
virus.

lul thiz must be an id 10 tee arror

Sure there probably are "trojan viruses" that can disable it and also norton, mcaffee, avast, avg etc.

Hell, there are also these things called rootkits which can bypass the scanner, hook itself into the OS and/or even corrupt your bioses image rendering your machine unbootable unless you get its firmware reflashed (ie removing a chip off the motherboard and putting it into a special device)

Anyway, norton is one of the most bloated pieces of software I have ever come across, its no wonder people tell me their machines are so slow that they think they have a virus! I also think MSE is enough, if not, get clamwin as well. Atleast those 2 combined won't dog your machine like norton does.

RTC_Marine said:

its no wonder people tell me their machines are so slow that they think they have a virus! I also think MSE is enough, if not, get clamwin as well. Atleast those 2 combined won't dog your machine like norton does.

I really don't notice any performce issues or any thing of that sort. however my family's Computer (which is a dinosaur) it runs Windows XP and it has Norton and it is SLOW when norton is running scans (the reason why it's slow is Because it only has 512 MB RAM, and a 1.5 GHZ Pentium Duel Core processor)