Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Another weapon in doom?

Something hellish.

I want to say something along the lines of that one thing from doom64...forgot what its called though.

If not, maybe just a rifle. A tiny bit more power and fire rate than a pistol, not as much as a chain gun.

+1 for flamethrower.

-limited in range (128 or 192units)
-toggles on key 6 with plasmagun
-uses 2 plasma cells per shot
-does 2.5times damage that a single plasma shot does.

I think that makes sense... basically reward damage for getting closer to the prey.

Proximity mines are interesting, perhaps first see them as enemies/obstacles in levels and then get the ability to shoot them as well. They would attach to walls if possible. These would've been a headache to implement I think given the limits of sprites and things etc. You would have to severely limit the max ammo of them (so another ammo type) and if they were used by map authors as obstacles would limit the player shooting if they spawn too many combined (think lost souls limited to 20) - which would suck if you had ammo but when you shot nothing appeared ;o)

-t

I have to admit, some kind of fire weapon would be cool. Remember the flare pistol and spray cans in Blood? Fun.

I like the idea of deployable mines (proximity or remote) and also think that a deployable sentry unit would be pretty cool. Any actual guns is not necessary but a GL would be very handy.

GoatLord said:

I have to admit, some kind of fire weapon would be cool. Remember the flare pistol and spray cans in Blood? Fun.

I love that game. But those wouldn't fit in doom.

Maybe we are going about this the wrong way. How about something more of a tool rather than weapon.

Like the grabber in RoE.

Say, a rivot gun.

I'd rather the original usage of the fist and pistol was slightly amended than anything added. I crave a silent punch as a secondary attack with the pistol. Being able to sneak up to an enemy, punch it then shoot with the pistol to finish off would be cool and wouldn't slow the pace of the game. It would also be good when getting cornered with Pinkies... I often get the urge to punch them while using the pistol:)

If adding a gun it would have to be the Unmaker - the last great Doom weapon.

yellowmadness54 said:

How about something more of a tool rather than weapon.

Like, say, a chainsaw?

Maybe something that you fire once, latches on to an enemy and does a lot of quick minor damage over time like a chaingun, essentially "stunning" the target while you focus on killing other monsters. Could be useful if you're fighting an archvile together with a bunch of other monsters.

traversd said:

Proximity mines are interesting, perhaps first see them as enemies/obstacles in levels and then get the ability to shoot them as well. They would attach to walls if possible. These would've been a headache to implement I think given the limits of sprites and things etc. You would have to severely limit the max ammo of them (so another ammo type) and if they were used by map authors as obstacles would limit the player shooting if they spawn too many combined (think lost souls limited to 20) - which would suck if you had ammo but when you shot nothing appeared ;o)

What about laser trip wires like in Duke Nukem 3D, these were obstacles in the game and a weapon the player could use, but you could destroy them with explosions and stuff

Gameplay, thats what all is about.

if you wanna have a certain atmosphere you often need a new "calculation" an additional gun could be Quad shotgun if you give it atributes of being slowly reloaded but gives a shitload of damage power by 4 shells/attack over a spread hitscan area eating your ammo faster than you can say "hippie" which is only useful vs maximum teir monsters of current wad file, this makes it important what you ensure that it sucks vs zombies for example, otherwise you better delete that weapon and think up something new

what original doom's weaponary lacks from is additional weapon function(every weapon has a purpose and field of use but i mean ..), such as mentioned stunning, freezing, igniting, teleporting etc. but what every weapon have is a certain amount of knockback and ability to cause painchance, and thats all it needed to be a really good game, and besides, its too easy if you can play the elements of DOOM any way you want, because then its not DOOM anymore, in fact its the game who play you quite often and thats what deffine the element of strategy and strategy is required a little bit to prevent a game from being linear (like COD) and there's shitloads more to say, but yeah, if you add more than 5 custom monsters in a wad then its ok to add 1-2 custom weapons, hiding the BFG as a secret and reaplace with a quad shotgun is an option that no one really will yell at you for, but god never fail with the coding OR graphic section or you fail the entire wad by making a custom shit weapon.

puh, that was alot :P

DoomHero85 said:

Oh. Well, Maybe they could make it so that they actually do some damage without the berserk pack cuz before the berserk pack they do almost nothing.

they're more powerful than the pistol is...

How about an army knife of some sort?
or a somewhat upgraded pistol, like a .45 rather than doomguy's apperent .17

The only weapon that would have a truly distinct functionality from anything in Doomguy's arsenal (aka not just a more powerful scatter gun/explosive round/energy projectyle etc.) would be some sort of high-accuracy or at least high-powered rifle, with a single round doing a at least as much damage as a full SSG blast. This would emulate the behavior of those African Big Game guns, and would make sense, since most monsters could easily pass as "big game" in terms or resilience, behavior, and threat posed to the shooter (especially after a missed round/non-fatal wounding).

It would be great for those times where you need to kill/damage just one tough monster without risking an explosion in your face or scattering too much ammo around like the SG or SSG would do, or for long-distance, one-hit kills on tough mid-tier monsters like perched revenants and the such. The power of such a rifle would be offset by scarce ammo, heavy recoil and slow reloading. It could be made more tactical by forcing a two-chamber use (each reloading would use two rounds, to be shot individually before reloading or in quick succession).

Tactical weapons (mines, stunners, etc) are bad because they slow the gameplay down and go against the run 'n gun-philosophy.

A sniper rifle is bad because it allows you to take out enemies at ridiculous distances without getting in danger yourself.

A short range weapon is unnecessary with the SSG, plasma and BFG around. Heck, just recolor the plasma shots and you've got yourself a flamethrower. :P

The only new weapons I'd like to see are:
An smg that's slower than the chaingun but perfectly accurate so that I wouldn't need to tap-snipe anymore. Just hold the button and get the exactly same effect as when tapping.

Or, a melee weapon that does 1.5x-2x fist damage for slightly faster demon punching.

Definitely a rifle of some sort. If it's going to share ammo with the pistol, it should fire a three or four round burst (but still be slower than the chaingun). But I think that it'd be better if it had it's own type of ammo and shot one, medium-powered bullet somewhat slowly. A bolt-action rifle would be cool but it doesn't seem very Doom themed (might fit in with Doom 2's super shotgun).

It would also solve the missing weapon problem for me. Every time a zombieman fails to drop a rifle a frown a little. :(

Laser gun... Sniper rifle.. or Laser Sniper Rifle to have more scifi weapons...

Note: The laser would be invisible and instant hit, and probably wouldn't make much of a sound either. I guess the gun could make a little humming sound when it's readied and maybe a little louder hum when it's fired.. and burning sound when it hits something.

bgraybr said:

A bolt-action rifle would be cool but it doesn't seem very Doom themed (might fit in with Doom 2's super shotgun).

Jodwin said:

A sniper rifle is bad because it allows you to take out enemies at ridiculous distances without getting in danger yourself.

A good compromise between the two would be an "elephant gun" or a "slug shotgun" kind of weapon: a heavy hitscan weapon with a pure "run and gun" or "instinctive aiming" philosophy, if you prefer. That would still require you to run into the fray, and would deliver a heavier punch than either the SG or SSG at a slightly larger distance, without totally sacrificing accuracy if you wished to take your time and aim carefully.

Foodles said:

What about laser trip wires like in Duke Nukem 3D, these were obstacles in the game and a weapon the player could use, but you could destroy them with explosions and stuff

This would essentially be them. I just don't think at the time of doom's release they would have stayed in the game given the sprite and thing limitations in place. Also in terms of the "tripwire" component that might not have looked all that swell at the original resolution 320x200. I recall Dukes tripwire lines looking so so at that res, but Duke came with higher res options which made the thin line look much better.

-t

Jodwin said:

Tactical weapons (mines, stunners, etc) are bad because they slow the gameplay down and go against the run 'n gun-philosophy.

I would disagree. It does go against the philosophy of the game to a certain degree but not enough to be considered "bad", it definitely adds a level of strategy to the game, and it would make the demons pay for trying to attack you from behind or the sides.

The best part about it though, if executed properly, is that you shouldn't ever be forced to use them. They are there if you want but if you want to faithfully preserve that run 'n' gun mentality, don't lay them down. If they were in the game, simply put: I'd make use of them.

A stronger version of the rifle that was in pre-release builds of the game. Would make long range fights more feasible than trying to pistol/chaingun snipe or shoot things with the normal shotgun.

Maes said:

...if you wished to take your time and aim carefully.

Autoaim.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

it definitely adds a level of strategy to the game

I don't want strategy, I want action.