Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doomworld Car Chase/Race/Crash scene thread

Too bad I could only find clips of the retarded American dubbed version of Mad Max; ones without annoying music being played over the whole video. Apparently the original Australian accents throughout the movie were deemed unmarketable to the US audience or some crap.

Anyway, post moar.

Awesome Idea just waiting for the shoot-out thread and i'm set. Here's a couple good ones:

Gotta watch both parts

Starts 2:30 in

whiteboy567 said:

Awesome Idea just waiting for the shoot-out thread and i'm set.

What's next? Murder scene? Snuff movie thread?

Sex Scene Thread. Best Pot Scene. Best Movie Scene within a Movie Scene THread Thread.

This:

Embedding Disabled? Impossible...

DoomUK said:
death proof

ugh. i found that gimmicky, boring and generally dull.

whiteboy567 said:
drive

can't wait for this!

yo, remember when michael bay was cool? also the soundtrack is like encyclopedia of action music.

Ever noticed that the older the movie the more stable the camera is during chase scenes? :P

It's really gone downhill, I seriously wanted to puke after seeing about 30 seconds of the chase scene in Quantum of Solace.

Belial said:

Ever noticed that the older the movie the more stable the camera is during chase scenes? :P

It's really gone downhill, I seriously wanted to puke after seeing about 30 seconds of the chase scene in Quantum of Solace.

I have to agree. Love it or hate it, Death Proof is the only recent movie I've seen that captures the genuine tension of old school carplay. Too much CGI and "watch this, THIS is tense and exciting" filmmaking techniques going on in Fast and the Furious and such.

But yeah, great choices everyone. Can't forget about the chase scenes in T2 though:-

..And here's a movie which I hate, but I always liked the race scenes. It makes NASCAR look interesting, anyway:-

Also that chase scene from that indian movie where the guy powerslides a horse under a truck.

40oz said:

Also that chase scene from that indian movie where the guy powerslides a horse under a truck.

You mean this, lol.

I must admit that, often, the chase scene in a movie marks the point where I switch off. All too often they are unimaginative or act merely as a filler with little real value or significance to the over all piece. One thing that is noticeable is that they often take place along an unspecified route. Literally, they could be set anywhere and don't necessarily feel as if they link location A to location B (indeed, the end of a chase is often marked by merely losing the bad guys rather than arriving somewhere) and I suspect most of the chases are shot at a bunch of unconnected locations anyway.

However, there are some excellent chases in movies and I'm certainly not against them per se.

Although not really a chase, I do like the American Graffiti scene that bytor posted. It's a great little drag race on something that one of the sub plots in the movie had been leading up to for the whole film.

Can't believe Steve McQueen running away from the Germans on a stolen motorbike in "The Great Escape" hasn't been mentioned.

And what about those various films that are essentially a two hour long car chase?

Enjay said:

And what about those various films that are essentially a two hour long car chase?

TBH I'd have a hard time naming anything besides the original Gone in 60 Seconds.

Enjay said:

Can't believe Steve McQueen running away from the Germans on a stolen motorbike in "The Great Escape" hasn't been mentioned.

ahhh just learned something: McQueen's stuntman in "Bullitt" is the same guy (Bud Ekins) on the bike in "The Great Escape". Yeah, great movie!

"Bullitt" is widely accepted as the most innovative and best in chase scenes. It's my favorite and watching that badass FE-block Mustang and the big-block Mopar get ragged on at speeds that reached over 100 mph makes my scalp tingle. That's some "real life" driving in that movie!

Sadly, yes, they don't film 'em like they used to. Cost restraints? Safety? You have to get a city to shut down entire streets and let beefed-up cars run 100mph through them. I think scenes are filmed at much lower speeds now. There's the cost of the cars themselves (the factories used to donate the main cars and then modifications were done to engine/suspension).

Also, I think John Q. Public is more interested in seeing cars blow up than to see cars actually be driven to their max by experienced drivers.

Well someone already posted Blues Brothers (which held a record for most cars destroyed until its sequel). So nothing else needs to be posted. :P

Can't be arsed with Youtube malarkey again but the main chase in Ronin is incredible. And was only made in 1998 but feels way more "classic" (as in you can see what is happening and an absolute ton of cars get wrecked).

There's also a TV show in Germany called "Alarm Fur Cobra 11" that seems to be almost entirely car chases. Apparently they are unrealistic and feature ordinary hatchbacks doing 200mph and then flying over houses after minor crashes. To which I say: "awesome". Unfortunatley it doesn't seem to be available in English. I did once find a gigantic box set of it in Japan with the title translated to "Alarm for Cobra 11" but of course the contents wouldn't have been in English. Though according to a German bloke I once talked to you don't really need to understand the language to watch it!

Oh and there's an obscure Italian movie from the 70's called "The Violent Professionals" with some wicked chases.

Oh and: Italian Job.

deathbringer said:

There's also a TV show in Germany called "Alarm Fur Cobra 11" that seems to be almost entirely car chases. Apparently they are unrealistic and feature ordinary hatchbacks doing 200mph and then flying over houses after minor crashes.

cobra11 teaches us that german highways are FULL of ramps. oh, and did you know that german luxury cars have the ability to change into their 15 years older predecessors midair just before crashing?