Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Another weapon in doom?

I think auto-sentry guns could have real potential. They fit in pretty good with the theme, and they might be easy to implement. You drop one somewhere and after 30 seconds it's armed and acts like a static monster that's hostile to everything in its line of sight. It would make a good defensive weapon for when you're outgunned or too low on health and have to pull back.

marspr9c.wad (Doom: The Mars Missions) has a pretty cool example, but it's not implemented as a weapon you can pickup (they have already been deployed).

hex11 said:

I think auto-sentry guns could have real potential. They fit in pretty good with the theme, and they might be easy to implement.

If I recall correctly, the infamous "Blessed Engine", the unreleased sequel to The Sky May Be, had crazy stuff like stationary plasma ball generators (which however attacked only the player and caused an absurd amount of damage that might either kill you even with god mode on, or make you invincible due to integer overflow.

More related to sentry guns, it had modified pinkies that shot projectiles that behaved like chaingunners ... and a lot of other weird shit. Strain TC also had some weirdly modified enemies e.g. flying spitter cubes that used the SS Nazi attack pattern, but when destroyed would become on fire and remain damaging to the touch.

Jodwin said:

Autoaim.

Even with that on (well, not that you can actually turn it off in vanilla) there are still situations where accuracy is variable (you mentioned CG tapping yourself). Picture the effect of a "slug gun" as similar to a shotgun that when Doomguy is perfectly still (perhaps with a timer requiring you to be still for a minimum of 1-2 seconds, really easy to do even in vanilla code), EVERY pellet is pistol-sniping-accurate ;-)

Maes said:

If I recall correctly, the infamous "Blessed Engine", the unreleased sequel to The Sky May Be, had crazy stuff like stationary plasma ball generators (which however attacked only the player and caused an absurd amount of damage that might either kill you even with god mode on, or make you invincible due to integer overflow.

More related to sentry guns, it had modified pinkies that shot projectiles that behaved like chaingunners ... and a lot of other weird shit. Strain TC also had some weirdly modified enemies e.g. flying spitter cubes that used the SS Nazi attack pattern, but when destroyed would become on fire and remain damaging to the touch.

http://www.it-he.org/

The Blessed Engine WAS The Sky May Be. You're more confusing it with the Doom 2 edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D25Xn0C_OQ

The Blessed Engine also had the instant discharge cannon, which shot all 400 chaingun bullets at once...

40oz said:

I wish there was a quicker way to expel all 400 of my bullets. Maybe a super chaingun that's as innaccurate as the super shotgun.

kmxexii said:

The Blessed Engine also had the instant discharge cannon, which shot all 400 chaingun bullets at once...

How did that ever work? Doesn't vanilla Doom have a limit to how many hitscans can be performed at once, that's much lower than 400?

Pipebomb... too much fun :) even with no mouse-look...

A teaser-like weapon that shoots a line in the floor, and can crawl walls and explodes upon impact.

A control mind weapon...

A powerful and slow pierce pistol. (Same damage as the shotgun but only with one hit and that hit can make it through the enemies)

Not a weapon per-se, but "pushable" barrels sounds fun to me. (or with berserk you could pick them and throw)

Naitguolf said:

A control mind weapon...

Yeah, I thought about that, firing at an enemy and then it falls under your control, becoming "friendly", it would only work for certain monsters (i.e. not cyberdemons, spidermasterminds etc.) and you could only control one monster at a time. Don't think it would be possible in vanilla doom though and it would be more of a humourous, fun weapon rather than actually useful and effective.

I don't think adding another actual weapon would be all that useful but I always wished there were a couple more offensive power-up items that could add some interesting game-play situations. My ideas are kind of gimmicky but i think they are infinitely more interesting than an additional weapon.

One of them would be something like an artifact that gives the player a limited time to hit a single enemy and if a successful hit was made the monster would fight all nearby monsters for the remainder of its life. The cyberdemon coupled with this power-up could take the place of an entire room of ammo. The biggest problem with this one would be that nobody would know what the hell the power up was without having to read it somewhere first.

Another one would be an artifact that sort of behaves like the berserk pack but adds the effect of adding health to your health pool. It could force a player into fighting for his health rather than just giving it to him.

Edit: I should have read the two posts above. Pretty much talking about the same thing. Sort of.

I haven't read the thread, but just throwing these in:

-Thought about a lightning gun whose shot would jump from enemy to enemy, even around corners and out of line of sight. It would either have too low damage to be used against non-zombies (already have the chaingun for that) or be overpowered, though.

-A slug upgrade for the shotgun or a barrel greaser for the pistol. In the case of the shotgun, the number of shots would be only one, but it would have pinpoint accuracy and would penetrate enemies. As in the shot ripping and tearing its way through the enemies' torsos, you deviants.
If it were for the pistol, it would either require several bullet units per shot (?) or do slightly more damage than a regular shot but the lack of damage per shot would be compensated by the accuracy and penetration. Not to mention the rate of fire. In my opinion the pistol needs more help, as the regular shotgun has still some niche use after getting the SSG.
Sorry for the gross misuse of firearms technology, I'm not a gun nut.

bgraybr said:

How did that ever work? Doesn't vanilla Doom have a limit to how many hitscans can be performed at once, that's much lower than 400?

I'm not saying that you might not crash vanilla for some reason with a 400 pellet ssg, but I'm not aware of any particular limit that applies there.

natt said:

I'm not saying that you might not crash vanilla for some reason with a 400 pellet ssg, but I'm not aware of any particular limit that applies there.

Huh. The chaingun replacement from The Sky May Be never worked for me. I always got an instacrash- and in other ports it behaved incorrectly.

bgraybr said:

I have no idea; I've never played the mods myself. You can see it work as advertised in the video linked, and I know I've seen a playthrough of Sky May Be where it functions correctly.

natt said:

There's none, in fact. Yesterday I experimented with various "alternative" shotgun setups in Mocha Doom, including a "birdshot" and a "slugshot" variant. The "birdshot" one shot 50 pellets that did 1-2 damage each, while the "slugshot" was lamely implemented by canceling the spread of the normal shotgun.

The shotgun is actually implemented as 7 sequential calls to P_GunShot (essentially, it's like firing the pistol 7 times in a row). You can change this to 3, 10, 20 or 100 with no ill effects, because the shots are sequential. The only side effect is perhaps causing some slowdown by calling the same function so many times each time you shoot, but even that is marginal at best.

Perhaps you were confusing the number of "simultaneous pellets" with simultaneous line intercepts, which is another type of problem.
Shooting 1 pellet that does NOT cause an intercept overflow means that you can shoot another 1000 or 10000000 in its place sequentially and nothing weird will happen, because they are not really shot "simultaneously". Even the Sky May Be and its hacked executable simply cause more calls to P_GunShot in one frame (in the case of the modified chaingun, until you run out of ammo).

Maes said:

Yesterday I experimented with various "alternative" shotgun setups in Mocha Doom, including a "birdshot" and a "slugshot" variant. The "birdshot" one shot 50 pellets that did 1-2 damage each, while the "slugshot" was lamely implemented by canceling the spread of the normal shotgun.

meh

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/doom04q.png/

natt said:

Well, that looks more like the Alpha BFG, than anything :-p

Still, even that one wouldn't cause spechit problems per-se if no projectile triggered more than the allowed spechit limit. It would however slow the game down to a crawl ;-)

Maes said:

Perhaps you were confusing the number of "simultaneous pellets" with simultaneous line intercepts, which is another type of problem.

That's exactly what I was thinking of- was just confused for a minute. I'll have to try getting The Sky May Be to run again and see if I run into the same issue.

A bolter-type rocket launcher? The explosion is delayed and the rocket detonates inside the target for increased damage, but doesn't have a splash radius.

Auto shotgun. And I mean a MANLY auto shotgun with a real kick and a proper clip, like the A-12:

and not that cumbersome, recoilless plastic toy that's the AA-12.

Double-barreled or bolt-action Nitro Express .700 express rifle. For BIG game. Kinda like a heavy slug SSG with no spread, but good mid-range accuracy.