Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I just finished creating my level for DooM 2 and I was wondering if anyone could try it and give me their honest feedback. Any tips and what not would be really appreciated.

Here's the FIXED link : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VIDY2TIL

EDIT : OK, I got it uploaded finally. Sorry about that every one.

I tried it out on gzDoom. There were quite a bit of missing textures in it, as well as missing monsters :p. The layout was pretty linear as well (meaning pick up one key, go to corresponding door, pick up next key, go to corresponding door). There wasn't really too much in the way of exploration.

I tried it out on gzDoom. There were quite a bit of missing textures in it, as well as missing monsters :p. The layout was pretty linear as well (meaning pick up one key, go to corresponding door, pick up next key, go to corresponding door). There wasn't really too much in the way of exploration.

I run mine on ZDoom. But yea, I'm not too proud, after I was done with it all I noticed it was too crampted and basic.

Ugh, Wow Every thing is missing. I feel like an idiot now. I merged all the textures and all the thing I downloaded with my wad but it still doesn't show up. I gatta redo this whole thing. Sorry about that. I wasted two whole days making this :/

There might be some other problems too, not just textures. Yadex refuses to even load the map:

yadex: e map01
Error: linedef 1 has bad 1st vertex number -1, giving up

I'll wait to try it once you deal with these issues...

but just wondering, is your name Mike M.?? That's my name!

Hmmm, the placement of the medikits in the room with the blue key look strange. Try moving them to the left a little because at the moment they're sort of sticking in the wall but overlapping it as well and it's weird.

but just wondering, is your name Mike M.?? That's my name!

LOL nice :)

AS for every one els just hang on. I'm sorry I fixed the problem but now I just need to upload but that will take a bit because I'm on dial-up

I'm tempted to post really huge pictures now...Just kidding.

There's no need to feel like an idiot because you made some mistakes in your map, that happens with everyone. Just keep practicing and work from the criticism that people give.

[QUOTE[
Really? I got rid of that a while ago...[/quote]Being on dial-up is the most tedious, painful, and torturous thing ever, especially when your trying to do any thing with forum sites :(

Odd-o-matic said:

How's the updated level coming along?

It's done and it's uploading right now. Again, I'm on dial-up so it will take a while. It's almost done though. I'm sorry about this

For being your first map, maybe you should have tried mapping vanilla Doom, instead of Doom in Hexen format. I would have thought vanilla mapping would be easier. I've looked at Hexen format, and that's pretty complicated for me, though I don't really map either.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

For being your first map, maybe you should have tried mapping vanilla Doom, instead of Doom in Hexen format. I would have thought vanilla mapping would be easier. I've looked at Hexen format, and that's pretty complicated for me, though I don't really map either.

I understand how it works, well for the most part. For me, I don't really think it's an issue of how to make my things work, I think my problem is for some reason I'm not satisfied unless the enviroment is "Realistic" looking. And I know I need to put fun over realism but I make my levels like that without realizing it.

Texture-wise, it wasn't too bad. Some alignments could have been done, and some SUPPORT2 could have been used, but overall it was fine. The yellow cardkey and some of the health kits were clipped into the walls, as previously mentioned. The 2 biggest problems I had were the enemy difficulties, and the 2 shotguns. The monsters seemed to me too difficult for the weapons that you provided. Also, I didn't really think there was any need for two shotguns.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I didn't say the monsters were bad. I like the Crackodemon. I just thought it was somewhat tedious having to fight them with just a shotgun.

Agreed. After giving it another go.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I didn't say the monsters were bad. I like the Crackodemon. I just thought it was somewhat tedious having to fight them with just a shotgun.

What about the 2 guys at the start?
They kept instantly killing me and it's really annoying.

Odd-o-matic said:

What about the 2 guys at the start?
They kept instantly killing me and it's really annoying.

I did have some trouble with them. They lowered my health pretty low, though they didn't kill me. They were pretty tough too, as it took 3 or 4 shotgun shots to kill them IIRC.

Hmm, Yea I think I made it a bit too difficult. And it didn't help that I didn't put any better weapons there. But didn't any one els notice the megasphere I put there? Or the tons of other medpacks? But thinking about it, yea the difficulty is a bit high up there.

What about the over all level design? I mean like how the actual map, not the monsters were? I know it's not something id would have made but what did you think of it?

The megasphere did help. If it wasn't for that, I would have died a lot more. As for the level itself, I liked it. It was a bit cramped though, so it was hard to maneuver, and it was pretty short. I thought it could use some polish, so to speak, but it was definitely a good start.