Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alboroto

A few thoughts.

I´ve been away for some time, my baby´s bigger (he´s almost one by now) my wife finally came back from the jungle and my life is getting a lot better... Also my country will play in the world cup ;P
But i haven´t forgot about you guys, so as Hannibal said: I´m ready to get out of my state of hibernation.
1.- Zombies.
The Doom zombies are fast for being a dead corpse, more or less like the Evil Dead zombies, which were following the orders of the evil spirit of the woods, so, my point here is: the zombies are controlled by an unknown force, so they attack, they kill, but they are partially conscient about the evil that they provoke... They fire and tear flesh while they scream for your forgiveness.

2.- IMPs
Have you seen Starship Troopers, the movie???
The warrior bugs were fast and furius, like brainless warriors... Like an Imp has to be.
An imp has to be faster than a man, stronger than an ape and above all: Provoke fear.

3.- Spectres
Remember the good old predator??? (good photos at sciflicks.com )
An spectre has to be like a predator, not like a foggy cow.
Killing from the shadows, from above... visible just by the glare of it´s eyes.

4.- Archvile
After playing Doom for years, I thing this is one of the BEST characters of the game, but after a few suggestions:
- More magic. He can bring them back to life, that´s a good trick, but can he show you what dead looks like? More or less like happens in Half life when everything get´s fucked, only faster.
- Faster movement. Like Jet li, in The One.
Avoids bullets, jumps side to side... faster than fear.

5.- A better hell
Dante Alligieri had a cool impression of hell, ID didn´t...
Hell HAS to be more than cave looking environment and blood rivers, more than a few stabbed heads and hanging bodies.
Hell has to be a place of ultimate fear and suffering (cena con mi suegra)... I suggest getting some help from Clive Barker (nice job on his short story book "Blood") or Stephen King. Those guys must be V.I.P.s there.

I´m done for tonight, brain´s full...

1. It depends on how you interpret them. I find the "zombies" way to slow, considering that they basically have the almost unspoiled body of a human - they should RUN at you dammit! I've posted this before, but now the situation calls for it again: I interpret the "zombies" as "possessed" human corpses resurrected by an evil force - basically a human body which has been possessed by a demonic soul. They function exactly like humans in many ways, but they are as mindless as demons when it comes to killing.
Whenever I hear the word "zombie" I think of a rotting cadavre with basically no brain and without the ability to use tools OF ANY KIND. Doom's "zombies" fall out of that category because they use guns, so they're not actual zombies - rather "zombiefied humans".

2. Agreed, the imps should be fast and really aggressive - they should also seem smart - that would fit the classic idea of a demonic imp (small "cute looking", but cunning devil).

3. Hmm, you want the spectre to be able to shoot at you? That'd be too much of a predator rip-off imo and would basically turn the spectre into an entirely new monster with resemblance only in it's partial invisibility. I think the spectre should still be a melee enemy, but imho it should not be a "cow" as you call 'em, rather a swift, muscular, yet less burly than the pinky, monster which isn't quite as tough as the pink demon, but still as fast. It should also be more "sneaky" like you said and stay in the shadows as much as possible.

4. Don't make the Archvile too fast - that'll make him more annoying than fun - it's already pretty annoying imo. Dodge bullets? That reminds me of Unreal's skaarj, which annoyed the crap outta me, NO THANKS!

5.I agree that hell should be done better, and I'm confident that id'll MAKE it better, yet I don't want Hell to remind me too much of Quake1, i.e. being too cavenous, but it should definitely be a horrific place.

Originally posted by dsm
1. It depends on how you interpret them. I find the "zombies" way to slow, considering that they basically have the almost unspoiled body of a human - they should RUN at you dammit! I've posted this before, but now the situation calls for it again: I interpret the "zombies" as "possessed" human corpses resurrected by an evil force - basically a human body which has been possessed by a demonic soul. They function exactly like humans in many ways, but they are as mindless as demons when it comes to killing.
Whenever I hear the word "zombie" I think of a rotting cadavre with basically no brain and without the ability to use tools OF ANY KIND. Doom's "zombies" fall out of that category because they use guns, so they're not actual zombies - rather "zombiefied humans".

1. I still think they are Zombies