Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

Any review sites that are still being updated?

Title pretty much says it all really...Back in the day there were quite a few doom review sites going around but these days it seems like the Newstuff is about it. Am I wrong? Any review sites still out there?

I think you might be out of luck, Isamele's Outpost of Doom II was the first site I thought of and that closed in January. There was - and maybe still is - some reviewing activity in the Skulltag forums but I think that's primarily for Skulltag maps.

None that I know of in the English speaking world. I was actually thinking about this very thing yesterday. I wish I was a little more knowledgable so that I could start my own but I feel a little too noobish at the moment...

I also wish the Doom Radio project would happen. It would be nice to have some reviews and other stuff in a podcast format too.

I think that the community is in the definite need of an new and updated review format.

Doomworld's newstuff is fine, but it doesn't allow classic reviews of stuff that's already in the database for example.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm reviewing WADs in a blog format on Blogger here http://onemandoom.blogspot.com/ . Blogger doesn't lend itself to easy browsing so I have pages listing reviews by filename, title, author and date of release.

I don't actually hand out scores, I just mention what I liked, didn't like, throw up at least a screenshot a level and try to note what for me was the most memorable moment. It's almost entirely older stuff right now as I'm working my way through Doomworld's top 10 but I've played a few recent releases (Double Impact, Vanguard).

Mmmm thats pretty much what I thought guys, although I was unaware of kmxexii website/blog, so thanks for that, I'll be sure to keep it in my favourites.

I agree there needs to be more review content out there though. I'm not sure if I'm willing to commit to making a website myself, but if I did, what do people want from a review site? Long, in-depth but fewer reviews, or many (maybe even one a day) 'mini' reviews? What type of format are people interested in?

Whatever you do, there's probably a niche for it. Write in a style that makes it fun for you. My reviews initially started as just some quick notes for each map I played, but they've evolved a bit beyond their original scope.

Awww damn I forgot to clarify the DEH Loading process. I'll have to Edit that in. The one YouTube video of allhell demonstrates what the mod looks like when the DEH patch isnt loaded; it makes no sense and initially turned me off to it (I failed to run the WAD with DEH when first played it ages ago).

Has there ever been a reviews website that reviews wads for the other Doom engine games (other than Newstuff)?