Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InvertCube

Doom 2 in a Nutshell

skaman86 said:

...I can't wait to see Barrels o' Fun and Spirit world, let alone how Industrial Zone will look...

I can see now that it is a problem that I didn't just throw all of the levels together into one up to date wad. here's all the completed classic maps in order (without gaps so there's no confusion):
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/r_JLN0IVZj/smdoom2cdemo2.zip

Archi said:

If interested, here are our 18 levels of Doom 2 in 100 lines, which has been posted on the Doom Power forums in May.
http://antiiddqd.ucoz.ru/_ld/0/10_1800.wad

Works correctly only in Boom.

I didn't get to try this till now. The layout for each map is very clever. I like any kind of designing restrictions like this, they make the designer come up with creative ways of making things they would have never thought of otherwise. Also I think there should be a place where all the Doom/Doom2/Final Doom tribute wads could be together because there are lots of really neat ones out there like this one that I or anyone might not discover.

DoomForever said:

I'm glad to hear this project isn't dead! :) A few things though:

1) I think the file should be named differently or updated to include ALL the finished maps (the first 11 levels are now missing).

2) Are there still plans for a non-strict version as well?

3) General comment, I noticed duplicate areas in a few maps except without monsters (the Tenements 2048 remake would be an example). I can't get what these are there for.

4) Today is 6/30/11. Last update before this on the project was 6/30/10...coincidence? (Oh, and I checked the post times, this thread was precisely 42 minutes short of being free of activity for exactly one year!)

I'm glad to say that this project isn't dead! :)
I'm also glad you remembered and have not given up on this project.
We took a long break from designing levels. I think we should have made a post explaining our break and resent progress but we didn't want to post any updates until we had another set of 10 levels.

1) The file name was not what it should be, because we were only releasing the next 5 levels recently completed for review.
The first 11 levels was set 1 and this would be parts of set 2.
But we have had several newcomers to the project wanting to play all the levels.
So we have released all available completed levels together.
The first 11 levels are now no-longer missing.

2) There are still plans for a non-strict version (Creative version we named it) We have completed 10 more Classic Levels,
So we will start on 10 new Creative versions and they should be completed by October or December. No promises but we will do our best.

3) The duplicate areas in a few maps without monsters were used for, ex. in The Tenements 2048 remake I used the 1024 sized version as a blueprint for items and actions lines ect. This is removed now.
Question how did you find those duplicate areas? Did you use the map?

4)The Last update before this on the project was 6/30/10... Yes it was a coincidence.

I just added The Refueling Base (lvl 10) finally. It actually wasn't that hard to make. I guess I just avoided it because I was being lazy.

Playtest it ASAP. Anyways, the concept is great and the solutions (even the replacement of MAP10 in the non-classic one) appealed to me quite well. Keep it up!

Progressing into level 4. Excellent since the first second of play. Challenging and tiny; Doom 2 in a thin can. They feel and they play like the originals. I wonder how you will place the Mastermind in this set :-) or better, the room where it faces the Cyberdemon (level ... ?) Will be back.

Well, fighting through level 9 and got addicted to it. There is some TIGHT action there and I feel the difficulty rising :-))) Taking the remaining BaronS from a Cyberdeceiving fight one by one to not wake them all at once was a delight in Tricks & Traps. All sort of things like that :-) Perfect.

Edit. Bizare level 31, being part 2 of level 15 ! Still very good anyway :-)

Got near the end without finishing; but saw the other levels while warping. Your thin can got me for 25 levels until Doom 2 remembered me I hated it :-) I cannot play these levels anymore. Your work here is GREAT. I saw some HOMS at some places but who needs to care about that ?

Congrats.

This project is finally done and submitted to /newstuff! Hurray!

Actually it was finished a few weeks ago in which we were very eager to finish up the remaining maps but when we got to playtesting the entire thing straight through our ambition kind of died out. So we've been sitting on the complete project for a while. Sorry about that for anyone who might actually be waiting for this. (3+ years, wow.)

Also I had never even heard of an FTP client before submitting this and was having a nightmare trying to get Filezilla to work for me. But once I switched to a different program it all went through just fine. Hopefully I submitted the files correctly. I also am having a bit of anxiety about the whole project getting rejected for being too similar to the official Doom 2. We'll find out soon though.

I remember this! I was making something similar at the time. I only got to MAP09 though so congratulations on finishing the whole thing.

I was only thinking about it the other day so how strange for this news to come out of the blue.

Alright, the project has been accepted! Anyone can get it now from the /idgames database!
Feel free to rate it.

Great! I'll leave my comments on idgames then ;)

PS: Don't know why, but I couldn't help but to think "awwwwww, so cute!" in this part :P

Fernito said:

Great! I'll leave my comments on idgames then ;)

PS: Don't know why, but I couldn't help but to think "awwwwww, so cute!" in this part :P

That's great to see that level get some love because I was a bit disappointed in that one and did lots of tiny tweaks to try and improve it. The gameplay was more frustrating than fun with a lot of the space being taken up by lava instead of walkways. But that far in to the game the level should be hard. But it should always be fun.

Thanks for releasing the full "Doom 2 in a Nutshell" project.
I've just realised it has been completed and I am one of those who really love vanilla compatible wads close to the original, :-).

What about the alternative modern version of this project? Has completely vanished, :-( ?