Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

A Summer-y of Events

As they are wont to do, Steam are holding an epic 11 day sale to celebrate things being hotter in half of the world. As always, id are taking part, with all Doom games marked down 33% and a whopping 85% off the id Super Pack. Granted, if you're reading this post you've probably already got Doom on three different platforms and still have the discs in front of you, but it's nice to know.

$30? Good lord. But as you were suggesting I got the Super Pack a couple of years ago.

I see Valve complete pack for $50. Is that a good deal? I already have Portal and TF2.

Yeah, I've already got pretty much everything they're selling, which is kind of sad. The only thing I'd possibly go for is the Doom 3: RoE expansion. I've played the Xbox port, but I wouldn't mind going through it again on PC, now that my machine that can handle it.

The RoE page says it "requires the Steam version of Doom 3" though, so I'm not really keen on buying it in the vain hope that I'll be able to extract the data files and run the expansion with my non-crippled version of the game.

Mithran Denizen said:

The RoE page says it "requires the Steam version of Doom 3" though, so I'm not really keen on buying it in the vain hope that I'll be able to extract the data files and run the expansion with my non-crippled version of the game.

I can confirm it atleast works in reverse. My copy of Doom3 is steam and I managed to install a retail ROE on-top of it.

The thread title really confused me at first. I thought this might be a 6 month old thread that had been bumped.

You can also install the Doom 3 1.3.1 "patch" independently and copy the pk4 files from a Steam copy of Doom 3, then you'd still have a DRM-free version (you can view the CD-key in the Steam client, save it somewhere else if you're concerned about it).

A perfect time for me to not have a valid debit card. Missed out on Oblivion: GOTY Deluxe for $8.50.

I just grabbed a smear of excellent games on the cheap, not that I'll ever get around to playing them all. Especially when there's Doom to be had...

Just bought it today, I already had all Doom games, but their's some games I didn't had included in this pack. It's only 30$ (22 games)! I've bought my Doom Collector's edition CD 50$ (3 games)! I was going to buy it yesterday, if I would have did this, it would have cost me a lot more money. That's a very cheap price.

chungy said:

You can also install the Doom 3 1.3.1 "patch" independently and copy the pk4 files from a Steam copy of Doom 3, then you'd still have a DRM-free version (you can view the CD-key in the Steam client, save it somewhere else if you're concerned about it).

When it comes to non steam-api games it's just the .exe that ties it to steam. Cut the game's directory out of the common folder, replace the .exe, and it's free of steam.

Hm, let me clean my desk of all my shareware before I even consider this one; oh, is that a copy of 'The Lost Levels' on floppy disk for Doom 1 sitting next to my leg? Makes me think after all these years, still returning to doom - I'm too busy in the process of... wait, what's this 'Steam' thing we're talking about? X_X What's the thread? Let me go get my cane and reading glasses...

I'm chuckling as the post mentions the reader is likely to have all the games id has sold already. Then again, I don't own Commander Keen. Is CK comparable to the old Duke Nukem side-scroller? Or is it a different animal all together?

I do have all these games already, but only because I bought them during another of these frequent sales.

Carniverous Goat said:

I'm chuckling as the post mentions the reader is likely to have all the games id has sold already. Then again, I don't own Commander Keen. Is CK comparable to the old Duke Nukem side-scroller? Or is it a different animal all together?

Commander Keens 1-3 are very comparable to Duke Nukem 1. Then the games start down different paths.

I picked this up as well even though I already owned 99% of what they had.. It's nice to have them all on steam as part of my collection tho. (not that i'll run doom through steam, source ports ftw).

I for real looked down at my feet and saw in front of me the CD folder where I have my Ultimate Doom and Doom II discs. And now that I think about it I DO legitimately own them on 3 platforms. Fuck, I don't know how I feel about being pegged correctly.