Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, has anyone tried this yet? Normally I'm not one for social networking, but my upcoming job will require a little more coordination in that realm.

Any invites floating around either? I could use one.

So that's what it is, a social networking thing. What does this offer that the other existing ones don't?

I could be way off base because I haven't tried it yet but I think the main difference is in organization. So rather than being based on friends, it relies more on group streams that update in a more twitter like fashion, and have associated group chats. But like I said, I might be way off.

Xeros612 said:

What does this offer that the other existing ones don't?

A step closer to a complete google monopoly world checkmate?

This is something that I will be sure to avoid. Although I'm probably paranoid, I just really hope that this will ever become mandatory to use anything google related.

I really don't trust google that much, it's just becoming more and more for their own profit, and not actually providing a good service (unpredicted and bad ui changes, bugs everywhere, just unstable). What they really care about is the cash they get from advertisers for selling them info collected by spying on your web browsing habits.

Seriously, I hate corporations that only care about profit. As soon as a decent and viable alternative pops up, I'll immediately begin using that instead.

Google+ offers something facebook could simply add in a few months and probably already had on the back burner.

Google, are you even trying?

Sodaholic said:

Seriously, I hate corporations that only care about profit. As soon as a decent and viable alternative pops up, I'll immediately begin using that instead.

Well there's a lot of search engines out there, so nobody is forced to use google. Here's one possible alternative:
http://duckduckgo.com

But I've been meaning to launch my own social networking site and get in on the action. It'll have stuff like finger, ytalk, gopher blogs, etc. ;)

Sorry, but anything Google do that isn't search engine or something related reeks of too much minimalism and cheapness. I'll still use Facebook for the time being, it has a tradition in this.

I don't care and I don't want it. Leave GMAIL and the search engine itself out of this crap. Like that black bar at the top of google.com with all the unnecessary bells and whistles, it's so annoying.

hervoheebo said:

Like that black bar at the top of google.com with all the unnecessary bells and whistles, it's so annoying.

Yeah what's up with that. A completely pointless change.

From what I've read about it, Google+ lets you categorize people in different groups -- you can have friends, family, neighbors, colleagues, etc. And you can set how you read stuff from each group.

Shaikoten said:

Any invites floating around either? I could use one.

We were passing around invites in #unidoom the other day. Maybe if you would come by every once in a while you'd get one :((((((((((((((

Fark. CODOR beat me to it. :P

Can't say I'll bite, though. I already have my trusty social networking tool called a phone.

[EDIT] inb4 someone counters with "but posting in forums is almost like social networking, you hypocrite!" :P

Somebody should shoot me an invite (AgentSpork@gmail.com), because that'd be the righteous thing to do. Also it'd move you right to the top of my list of Totally Rad and Kickass People. :D

There's a workaround that will work, exp. Spork, I'll hook you up, but the email may take a day or two to reach you. Once you see the email it will invite you to sign up.

Shaikoten said:

There's a workaround that will work, exp. Spork, I'll hook you up, but the email may take a day or two to reach you. Once you see the email it will invite you to sign up.

If it's the workaround where you share something with someone with a gmail account, it doesn't work. It will turn into an invite, but it won't be usable.

exp(x) said:

If it's the workaround where you share something with someone with a gmail account, it doesn't work. It will turn into an invite, but it won't be usable.

It worked when vulture did it for me, and supposedly that was after it was fixed. Keep us updated, Spork.

This interests me, if only because I've been rearing to be a productive member of society and it'll soon become necessary for me to work from abroad.

It's currently showing that they're "at capacity", but I'll check up on it every so often. If there's one thing I like about it just by looking at the previews, it looks much cleaner and easier to navigate than Facebook. Here's hoping it doesn't become bogged down by pointless applications and stupid games.

Gez said:

From what I've read about it, Google+ lets you categorize people in different groups -- you can have friends, family, neighbors, colleagues, etc. And you can set how you read stuff from each group.

That... sounds better than Facebook, honestly. I honestly don't want to hear from my family as much as my friends on SN sites. I remember Myspace replacing Xanga, Facebook replacing Myspace. This will either continue that pattern or die a horrible death.

By the way, if anyone wants to add me you can do so under shaikoten at (insert google's email service address.)

Ok, my curiosity has been piqued - can someone flick me an invite (*****@ g mail com)?

Just got it now, thanks

Inviting Planky.
View or comment on post ยป
The Google+ project is currently working out all the kinks with a small group of testers. If you're not able to access Google+, please check back again soon.

Learn more

Clicking the View link I get a join button which tells me 'Google+ is in limited Field Trial...' so wait and see at this point.