Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Looking for this old racing game

Not sure if this is the right forum.

This game I'm looking for is an old racing game which I played it when I was very young. However, I didn't even know the name of it.

Here is much I remember:

I don't remember the main menu, but I remember the background for the car selection. It was transparent blue with all types of the cars in it you play with. I also remember that the stats are under the car (Duh!).

The car types here are exclusives. Every type has two cars with different vinyls and colors. However, one of each type is Auto, while the other is Manual. I remember that the game had 6 different types of cars, so 12 cars were there.

Cars:
1st type was a car that looks like Lamborghini Gallardo. The auto color was red while the manual was blue and white.

2nd type was a car that has a spoiler. The auto color was yellow and white while the manual was red and white. I used to call the auto one tiger :P.

3rd type was a car that looks like Volken Turbo from Revolt. Boy I loved this car, the auto color was red while the manual was white and green lines.

4th type was a car that has round lights at front, this car looked a lot as a sport car. The auto color was fully black while the manual was white and blue.

5th type was a car with low height. The auto color was mostly red and I think there was a number on the top, while the manual color was blue.

6th type was a car that looks like the muscle cars in NFS Carbon (if you know what I mean). I also remember that this type was the only one not seen played by CPU. The auto color was grey while the manual color was black with fire vinyls.

Tracks were as I remember set in City, Night, Sea side, Snow area, Desert (which was played at the first tournament) and more but can't explain. I also remember that from the options you can set the level of detail for the tracks. Every track had an exclusive background in the loading screen.

There was a record racing type, when you first finish the lap a transparent copy of you starts driving the same as you driven before.

The font was bold white.

So this is all what I can say IIRC. And if you know this game then post its name here.

Sounds like Need For Speed 3. Or maybe some other game from the series.

Nah, there wasn't police if NFS 3, also NFS 4 looks different, and NFS 5 all about Porsche.

'Old racing game' doesn't say much. Which year was it from? What platform did you play it on?

I was like 4-6 years old when I played it. Hmmm... It was released before 1999. I called it old since it was there when I was very young. It was on PC. It was at the same time while I was playing Doom early years.

However, the most memorable thing is the weird car selection system it had.

You're going to need to offer details that would actually make it STAND OUT from other games. Car selection, auto or manual, different courses and ghost racing are features you'd find in most every game.

Was it arcade racing or simulation? Were the tracks realistic or fantastic (e.g. loops and underwater sections)? What kind of hardware did it run on?

Anyway, you may want to peruse this link:
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/racing-driving/dos/tic,2/ti,2/3rd-person-perspective/

I know that most race games have these features. But that's what I remember mostly, unfortunately, I don't remember any deep details or exclusive things except the car types. I rarely see games that has 2 colors but with different installments. (Like Ridge Racer)

The only game I remember having the same car twice, one for automatic and another for manual was Speed Haste, but this game also has Formula One cars, so it doesn't match your description. Also if I remember correctly all the tracks were in day time...

Anyway, screenshots for both Formula One mode and Stock Car mode: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/speed-haste/screenshots

Ive been through this. spent like three years because i couldn't remember the name of it or where to even start. so one bored night i went through cnet's download.com library looking up 'racing' like i would from time to time back then, and lo and behold about 10-15 pages in there it was "Speed Busters" American highways.

Im not saying this is the game your looking for, but you might try over there if you have the time to go through tons of other stuff in the process and you might get lucky. use various search terms if you an idea of what it might be called even or just use racing and see if you hit it lucky. there catalog of games gos back to 1996. if it was released in a demo form they will have it.

Still, didn't find it in Cnet's Download.com. Or maybe I missed it?

If I only know a site that shows the list of all PC games (with screenshot).

C30N9 said:

Still, didn't find it in Cnet's Download.com. Or maybe I missed it?

If I only know a site that shows the list of all PC games (with screenshot).

http://www.mobygames.com

That might help!

Random guess: Stunts / 4D Sports Driving from Broderbund? Was released in 1990 for DOS.

No. The game was 3D and more colorful . I think it was in 1994 and up. In the likes of Daytona USA but better.

@Nomad, Thanks!

I'll say Stunts and Monster Truck Madness. Not because one of those is the game you're looking for, but because they're better than your game and you should check 'em out.

I know you're giving me suggestions but I want that game not just memories or feeling nostalgic, but I like completing games that I passed by before.

Creaphis said:

I'll say Stunts and Monster Truck Madness. Not because one of those is the game you're looking for, but because they're better than your game and you should check 'em out.

I'll say Stunt Race FX because it's better than your games.

Definitely wasn't TD5 judging from his Car Types list. Manual and Auto didn't have separate colors.

It could have been a one off. nothing from a series or major publisher. a promo or manufacturers demo. mercedes benz, chevrolet, ford and a myriad of other makes have all had them at one time or another. even from frozen food and cereal products 'send ins' or 'in box' (red baron pizza had one back in the ninety's)

Or a combination of two or more games leading one to think that it was
actually a game but memory doesn't serve one to actually remember they are thinking of features from two separate games.

Radon said:

Whiplash?

Hey I know this game. This was my other favorite racing game when I was young. Thanks anyway.

@Mattfrie1

I forgot to say that the cars in the games are stock, you can't paint it. So no for TD5