Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

White Pyjamas & Purple Polka Dots: A Kids' Entertainment Thread

Many parents might point to the TV as being one of the biggest offenders in flawed child development today, and being one who isn't a parent it's not really my position to say otherwise... But I do maintain that there are a great many unsung heroes in childrens' entertainment: Entertainers who deserve so much more praise than the praise they rarely if ever receive. Thinking back I can remember a couple of shows which were so critical in my toddler years that, without them, I probably wouldn't have wound up the bundle of sunshine I am today.

So yeah, it might be a peculiar topic to bring up in a community dedicated to a longstanding FPS, and especially to one that revels in demonic symbolism and transmogrification, but here's a thread dedicated to programmes aimed at children, and how influential you feel they have been in your upbringing.

I present to you Franciscus Henri!

I think that first video was why I was totally distraught when my mum decided to thieve my favourite pair of pyjamas for ceremonious burning on Guy Fawkes night. My childhood security was burned to smouldering ashes in the course of just one evening... *sniff*

Oh well, the music certainly cheers me up!

I wasn't raised on this hyperactive shit.[/smug] Thankfully my generation for this material ended just before Teletubbies.

The only live action kids program I have fond memories of would be Mr. Dressup.

I think Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is one of the best programs you can expose your children to.

Bank said:

I think Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is one of the best programs you can expose your children to.

My only issue with him is he's so Goddamn monotone.

I was a big fan of H. R. Pufnstuf and Scooby Doo as a kid and it's said that both were full of drug references. That's my excuse, anyway.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2926.html on "H. R. Pufnstuf":

"Although the marijuana and drug references are sometimes subtle, they are laced throughout the entire series. Some highlights
include Witchiepoo offering a minion a "roach beef sandwich," Freddy the Flute getting turned into a magic mushroom, Pufnstuf
telling Cling and Clang to "stop sniffing" the magic smoke, and Jimmy dosing Witchiepoo with a Love Potion."

By night I'm a crimefighter with a cool car.

I fondly remember Mr. Wizard. Oh, good times--and I actually learned stuff!~

...among other stuff. Including Sesame Street. But it's impossible to pick ONE clip of that.

It's funny, most of my friends were raised on the commercial cartoons of the 80s like He-Man, Transformers, and My Little Pony, but I pretty much only watched PBS and Nickelodeon, so I was raised on a lot of educational, foreign, and old kids cartoons. So Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact, Mr. Rodgers, David the Gnome, Count Duckula, Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget, Looney Tunes (mostly ones from the 40s-60s), Lassie, Flipper, and Gumby were ones I remember the most. Oh, and the early Nicktoons and Snick shows as well, like Ren & Stimpy, Doug, Pete & Pete, Round House, and Are You Afraid of the Dark?

My favorite Sesame Street bit:

And for whatever reason this intro makes me nostalgia hard:

Holy shit did that Thomas The Tank Engine intro take me back, felt like I was 3 again!

Anybody of a similar age (or older so they'll remember it more clearly!) remember a show where a teddy bear got lost in a toy shop and had to escape from the security guard? Because it looked just like my own teddy and I started bawling, which worried my mum a bit.

I grew up with Scooby Doo and Bert and Ernie and loads of Star Wars. My sister grew up on Elmo, Teletubbbies, and and Lil' Bill.

And Blues Clues was the shit.

Danarchy said:

My Little Pony

Haha, back before it was popular among furries and sexually confused teenagers.

The main shows I remember watching as a kid were Doug (the nickelodeon one, Disney version was pretty awful), Sesame Street, Scooby Doo (mainly the original series), The Three Stooges (yes, the live-action shorts.), Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Inspector Gadget, Looney Toons(is it Tunes?), Tom & Jerry, and a few of the old Nickelodeon/Snick/Nicktoons shows back when the channel had any sort of quality standard. (All That, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Goosebumps[this was on nick, right?], some sort of gameshow[Guts, I think it was called], Amanda Show, some others I can't remember.)

Danarchy said:

And for whatever reason this intro makes me nostalgia hard:

OMG I loved Pete & Pete ^_^

Most of the (North American) shows mentioned are similar to me. Being in Canada, if we watched the right channel we got a Canadian version of Sesame Street. It had lots of Canadian segments and taught French words instead of Spanish. We saw the American one too.

That show had great parodies. So many of the segments had jokes that worked for adults that parents would watch it with kids. Now they seem to entice dads to watch it by having Katy Perry sing some terrible stuff, which I won't post:

LOL Have not seen that episode of Arthur. Come to think of it, I remember seeing the show lots, but I don't remember the plot of a single episode.

Ah, I forgot about Arthur. Good show. I remember a couple of episodes actually, like one about some blind girl and a Harry Potter-esque book and another about all of them playing some game about Birds trying to survive real life.

ANd thanks to that Arthur video I was tempted into watching several clips of My LIttle Pony: Friendship is Magic... I was dumbfounded...

Watched a ton of Sesame Street growing up; learned to read by age 3. I would want my kids to do the same thing.

I thought Morgan Freeman was frightening and seemed out of place on this show.

Speed Racer was used to toilet-train my little brother. "Mess in your diaper...No Speed Racer!" He learned quick only after this started being used.

EDIT: links removed

I forget I grew up with a lot of TV... Or Nickelodean should I say...

And Cartoon Network... Yah I'm not that old...

Just what the fuck happened to all of these?