Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Doom 4 = music. I think that's all we really want.

All great games over the decade have great music.

Xeros612 said:

While doom metal is great(when done right), I don't think the slow, dark, downbeat feel of it would gel very well with the type of Doom game most of the people here want.

Well, you could say anything is great, WHEN DONE RIGHT, from a rock band to a full orchestra. I for one think that you need a mix of both. Not every level should have metal because the game becomes less scary and, in a way, could potentially become an FPS version of "Devil may Cry". But you also don't want the game to only have slow, dark music or else the whole thing could feel too, well, slow. Just my opinion...then again, Music will always be a matter of opinion.

Xeros612 said:

While doom metal is great(when done right), I don't think the slow, dark, downbeat feel of it would gel very well with the type of Doom game most of the people here want.

It is rather black metal that I associate with dark games that have lots of occult, gloom, sorrow and desaturated colors in them. More black metal, pls.

More gore and satanistic content and something controversal with to troll the catholics and Germans just liek IDSoftware did with Doom1 and Wolfenstein.

geo said:

Doom 4 = music. I think that's all we really want.

All great games over the decade have great music.

hell yeah!
No real doom if there is no Doom music!

I still say Make Doom 4 a Wii game where all the monsters are plush toys.

Think of the product endorsements and extra money selling plush demons. Angry Birds might cost $1, but its the merchandise that makes the money.

geo said:

I still say Make Doom 4 a Wii game where all the monsters are plush toys.

Why waste an episode of the franchise making something childish or mockingly so?

Because parents buy games for kids :-)

I propose Doom 4 first be built entirely using Doom 2 and a source port then copied over to the new engine for all the graphics. That way you could program the new animations and enemies and game pace in a classic Doom style and actually have good looking levels that are fun.

printz said:

Why waste an episode of the franchise making something childish or mockingly so?

I thought he was just being funny.

DASI-I said:

I thought he was just being funny.

Yeah but the joke has been repeated throughout this thread.

Sorry. I'm a broken record :-)

Doom 4 should have futuristic weapons instead of basic ones. Shotguns should have lights, but lights break and have power. The game could have tags to disable light power in certain parts of the game. What about night vision? Thermals might feel too much like Predator.

BUT it should still have boomstick shotguns.

Sniper rifles for long range and shotguns for short range.

Machine guns with grenade launchers.

Flame throwers.

Grenades that don't take too long to throw them.

Motion sensors (like in Aliens) that break easily.

Plasma that melts enemies horrifyingly instead of just exploding them.

Lava that melts things horrifyingly too when they die.

Imps that flank, crawl on ceilings and walls.

Mancubus that stand there and take bullets.

Things that disturb you like an alien mutant designed to suckle... things of tied up prisoners.

Humans forced to live as mutants and not just zombies.

Diverse enemies that don't just stand in front of you. I'm talking imps should jump on boxes, things falling from the ceiling, basically trap enemies.

Blue things are blue.

Johnatone said:

I propose Doom 4 first be built entirely using Doom 2 and a source port then copied over to the new engine for all the graphics. That way you could program the new animations and enemies and game pace in a classic Doom style and actually have good looking levels that are fun.

That doesn't tend to work. At all. Ever.

I remember playing the first episode on Doom 3. LOTS of death. Thankfully I was playing it multiplayer. The weapons in Doom 3 were not meant for swarms of enemies.

Wait wait... I propose there is never any Doom 4, because it will never live up to Doom 1 or 2. Instead I propose that some Doom like game is made and call it... Space Marine HellMars.

More than anything, players should be able to jump into Doom 4 without having to read a thick, comprehensive manual. One of the greatest things about the old Dooms was how easy it was to start immediately kicking ass. If Doom 4 is to be successful in the eyes of fans, it should not be bogged down by gimmicks and unnecessary features. I want to be able to load it up and start running and gunning, just like the old days.

I don't think games have been made lately requiring you to read the instructions before using them properly. Instead, if an unobvious situation arised, a text message in the middle would have told you "press C to crouch".

Which is far, far worse, because it means then that every star to every game has the same "oh look a thing to crouch under, oh look a thing to jump over!" crap.

And then half the games will just leave the hints there the entire game.

There was one game 3 years ago that tried to make everything simpler like NES controls on an X-Box 360 controller. 2 buttons to do everything it was disasterous.

A lot of games are just big budget games of Simon Says now. Yeap. Cuz to crawl forward we need to push L then R over and over.

printz said:

I don't think games have been made lately requiring you to read the instructions before using them properly. Instead, if an unobvious situation arised, a text message in the middle would have told you "press C to crouch".

Well, I played Dead Space--which I was told was like a new Doom--and I got stuck very quickly. I used a walkthrough to get past the troublesome area, then immediately got stuck again. That's what I'm talking about.

I agree about Dead Space being like a new doom or successor to Doom... but everyone flamed me when I said it :-( I heard Dead Space 2 will take your hand and lead you like if you get lost it points you the right way. Some games even have a line guiding you. This is what games have become. Otherwise people say (in most cases) ... got lost, game sucks, not buying the sequil in a year.

Remember the days of the SNES where you had to make your own maps and grind. Games like Metroid if you died it took you 2 hours to grind back to full health.

GoatLord said:

Well, I played Dead Space--which I was told was like a new Doom--and I got stuck very quickly. I used a walkthrough to get past the troublesome area, then immediately got stuck again. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm curious as to how that happened. It's a fairly linear game that even has a "LOOK AT THIS BLUE LINE! THAT'S WHERE YOU NEED TO GO!" feature.

GoatLord said:

That must be more of a level design flaw, than intended mechanic.

Hey everyone

I'm a somewhat late Doom lover, I only got into Doom in the past few years, but I love the franchise! I beat Doom 1, Doom2, Doom3, working on playstation doom, doing some random skulltag and etc. I liked the different direction Doom 3 took, however it didnt force me to play it again like Doom 2 did. Here is a few things I would like to see in Doom4:

1. Easy to Learn, hard to master Level design tools for Mappers:

Only recently did I realize how vast the universe of fan made Doom Maps/Mega Wads. People are still making wads and levels and mods, sprites, add ons to this day. I cant think of any other game that has such a long lasting community still making content for a game. From what I gleaned from a few level builders and youtube tutorials, is that level construction in this game is very easy to learn since (in general) levels can be built top down because of the no floor over floor restriction. I felt this allowed many new mappers immediately see the fruit of their works, and egg them onto making their level more detailed, and more balanced as they let their buddies play it.

Imagine if Doom4 was able to read the old level wads of the older games, and do a crude "next-gen" update to the level. Brick textures can be given automatic bump maps/normal mapping, unlimited dynamic lights from light casting objects, realtime shadowmapping, SSAO, etc. This could help new players discover a world of content that is still relevant in the new generation.

2. Dead bodies:

I know its a strange request, but Doom is still one of the only games that technically gave almost every monster the ability to leave a dead body. Fighting a huge room of demons and finally killing them all let you wade through their one sided carcass sprites. It felt like you left your mark in their world with the sign of the battle that took place. I would be awesome to allow at least the major chunks of a dead demon's carcass stay indefinitely, or leave some kind of long lasting mark in the level. I dont want sanitary fade outs or sinking dissolving of bodies. I want their to be dead stinking corpses, pushable by living entities, maybe even some flies. I want them to be the sign of your dominance over the demons. Coming from a game designer/developer/artist background, I fully understand that increasing dead bodies drive up the visible polycount which can slow down the game to a degree. But there has got to be a clever way (hide carcasses not visible, Level Of Detail, imposters etc)

3. Increase the Gore:

Every ballistic weapon you posses should have the ability to visibly open flesh of the demons, and or dismember limbs. Blood is the short term instant gratification you get when your weapon connects with the enemy, it validates your playstyle, and lets you know youre doing the right thing. Let blood splatter all over the walls and stay there. Let the blood of one demon splatter onto the demon next to him. Unload into a melee demon and let us see his insides twitching, his spinal cord exposed. DooM is violence incarnate. I want this game to be at that forefront once again. This is a game where the lines of good and evil are black and white, you arent shooting other soldiers with their own morals and emotions. These are heartless demons with nothing but perfect hatred for humanity. It is easier on the conscience to see them splatter.

4. Sounds:

Meatier, bassier, louder, awesomer sounds. The original doom took many sounds from a stock sound CD, and I have heard some of these sounds in other productions. But every time i hear them, I can only think of their context in doom. I want the sounds of this game to be unique to Doom. I dont want generic monster screeches from random Dinosaur Sound Effect CD. I want sound that reminds me of Doom 4 when it comes out. Look at half life 2 for some iconic sounds for an FPS.

5. Remember, You (the Doom Marine) are the hope of humanity:

Yes, I understand that the game is supposed to be a survival horror demonic FPS, scaring you with dark halls and sound effects, with skulls and pentagrams everywhere. But somewhere along the line, the game became some horror game, trying to scare you in everything like a horror movie. I understand this was the intention of the Id team from the beginning. But once I heard the rock music of the original games, once I saw how fast you can run, the berserk pack, I could think of nothing but adrenaline pumping anger coursing through a human hero. The game needs to drive home the fact that you ARE the punishment, you are armed to the teeth and you are alone, but not outgunned. Drive up the fact that even though you are a weak human, you use technology, speed and weaponry to outrun, outflank and out-awesome the demons. I would even go far as to say to reflect this in the music. Im not asking for patriotic orchestra anthems that make it seem everything is good, but put some hope into the soundtrack. Put some hope into the game. Let me defend a building of civilians, some of them even joining me in the fight.

6. Doom is about Hell fighting Technology, or subverting it:

Yes, hell is mountainous, chaotic, rocky, without reason, unforgiving and etc. This is welcome. But I dont want there to be 50 hell levels. Play up the Hell vs Technology idea. I want fortified human buildings across the street from corrupted buildings. I love the idea of demons smartening up and using our technology whenever their asses get kicked. I want to see human bombers bombing an infested moon base that corrupted fighter jets into flesh monstrosities. It is the war between human ingenuity and frailty, vs demonic strength and visciousness.

7. Stop Sprinting at lightspeed:

This mainly goes for multiplayer. I dont think its visually appealing that everyone moves at 60 mph, especially in multiplayer. Everyone's darting around, shooting ahead of their target's position like a fighter jet. Many of you have gotten used to it, but I never got it, because i felt it was too unrealistic (in a game about demons vs humans, go figure). It doesnt feel right to me.

Sorry for the huge post, Im really excited about a new Doom coming out. I really really dont want them to f*ck it up. Let me know what you think if you read any of it.

I agree with everything but your last point. The inhuman speed was what made Doom the intense bloodbath that it was. Given all other variables being exactly the same except for slower movement speed would ruin the gameplay; Doomguy is made of meat and every monster is designed to consume and destroy meat and even a bit of armor can't stop them from accomplishing that. Really, Doomguy's speed is his defense!

Of course, yeah, it's a little different in multiplayer. I think it adds an element of challenge that is unseen in most newer games (aside from a handful of mp games that allow bunnyhopping to increase speed). It's much more fun, IMO, than being a slow moving damage sponge. Make those weapons hurt, but make it hard to hit!