Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
888mikem888

3D model maker

Does any one know of any programs I can download that will let me create my own 3D models? I want to try making some mods for Doom 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Of everything mentioned here, Wings3D has the best interface for tossing together simple models, in my opinion. It certainly won't export to anything usable by Doom 3, though.

So if Blender can export to MD5, I'd probably build the basic shape in Wings, use Blender to detail and texture it, and then export it to a file that Doom 3 can use. But that's just me.

There's 3 types of 3D modeler:

1 - Easy to use ones that are free but don't export to any format useable by games, nor do they animate well/at all.

2 - Hard to use ones that do export to formats useable by games, but they have "technical" interfaces for "professionals" (and yet clipart-ridden rainbow coloured logos) and poor/no documentation

3 - Eas(ier) to use ones that can export to all sorts of formats and have all the features to make game content for, plus good support, are well-documented and have a large number of clearly-spoken video tutorials available. But they cost £600

Well, ok. Which one(s) are best to use to make mods for Doom 3? I don't care if there hard to use or cost money, but not too hard to use or too expensive.

888mikem888 said:

Well, ok. Which one(s) are best to use to make mods for Doom 3? I don't care if there hard to use or cost money, but not too hard to use or too expensive.

I prefer to work in Blender. It is fairly easy, free, its toolkit useful for creating models for Doom 3. The only disadvantage of Blender, a renderer, but that does not stop to make a good models.

Archi said:

I prefer to work in Blender. It is fairly easy, free, its toolkit useful for creating models for Doom 3. The only disadvantage of Blender, a renderer, but that does not stop to make a good models.

Cool, thanks :)

The first time it will be hard. But after the training will be easy. But remember that good models will require much time. :)