Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Earlier versions of Doom were gorier?

This may sound weird but A few months ago I found a copy of doom 1.1 and ran it on my DOS machine and noticed E1 seemed to have a lot more gory decor than later versions. There seems to be a lot more crushed body sprites and more dead marines.

since setting up v1.1 right now is pretty hard to do (it's on a CD-ROM and I have no working CD-ROM drive) Can anyone with a copy of 1.1 shareware do a comparison with v1.9 shareware and see if there are any differences? I'm really curious on designs of the IWADS through the different versions.

Without needing a CD drive, I assume someone could compare the different shareware IWAD versions linked here, but I'm too lazy to do it myself right now.

I did quickly compare E1M1 and E1M2, and the number of gory things in each seems to be the same across the 1.1 and 1.9 IWADs. I checked Thing types 10, 12, 15, and 24, at least.

Pretty sure that there wasn't a huge amount of change to the levels between 1.1 and 1.9. Is it possible you're imagining it?

It won't be the first time we heard of a hacked IWAD making it into a read-only medium as the real deal.

Someone could have been stuck with the infamous Doom: Extra hard since early 1994, and think that Doom was supposed to actually be this way ;-)

There are a lot of hacked Doom shareware IWADS with different numbers floating around the internet. I found one with all of the monster sounds replaced with people grunting in arabic or something.

Or, even better, an IWAD perma-merged with "White Power" Doom ;-) I still have a very early version (different that the ones distributed by that Gary Lauck nazi guy) which even had a sample of Bound for Glory's "Warrior's Glory" whenever you picked a weapon :-p

"Onward to plunder and pillage
Set out to destroy the enemy's village"

Hmm... that's all I could find on YT. The version I have is less flashy, but has cooler sound samples :-p

Interesting idea, that lump-patching tool. Did you ever follow through on that?

And did DoomHero85 ever release his "doom2: second run" mod?

buttspit said:

There seems to be an updated version of that thing floating around.

There are several versions of it floating around, and the only thing in common between them are the sprites. This started as a Doom 1 mod, and thus it only replaces some Doom 1 monsters, The version I have has fewer swastikas and a more "white supremacist"/redneck/kkk theme, which I recall I got from stormfront.org loooong ago.

The version in the video is one of the several versions distributed by Gary Lauck on his NSDP-AO nazi website, which are much more laden with nazi symbolism but their sound samples suck. There are some Doom 2-compatible versions too.

The chainsaw is replaced by a SA nightstick, and the BFG is modified to shoot "zyklon b" gas clouds instead. Also, in the redneck/kkk version, explosive barrels are replaced by explosive watermelons. Some versions also do have new wall textures, while some only have new sprites.

This was on an "Encyclopedia of Games" Shovelware CD back in the early 1990s and it's probably been modified. I'll upload it when I can.

hex11 said:

Interesting idea, that lump-patching tool. Did you ever follow through on that?

I actually abandoned the idea almost immediately, on the grounds that technically it amounts to PWAD/IWAD merging which has already been done. But if there is enough demand and there are situations where it would be superior to a diff-based tool, I can put one together reasonably quickly.

Csonicgo said:

This was on an "Encyclopedia of Games" Shovelware CD back in the early 1990s and it's probably been modified. I'll upload it when I can.

Nao pls

Maes said:

Or, even better, an IWAD perma-merged with "White Power" Doom ;-) I still have a very early version (different that the ones distributed by that Gary Lauck nazi guy) which even had a sample of Bound for Glory's "Warrior's Glory" whenever you picked a weapon :-p

"Onward to plunder and pillage
Set out to destroy the enemy's village"

Hmm... that's all I could find on YT. The version I have is less flashy, but has cooler sound samples :-p

Maes said:

that video

You seem to be abit into that wad (and so with cybie.wad I guess, may be wrong), I too think its hillarious that any one really made that shit

but you once said I have some really big likes on throwing music videos in ones face, now these connections we have in common, heres the proof!