Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What is your most hated demon in Doom?

Simple. What is your most hated demon In all of doom&doom2.
Why do you hate it so much?

For me it's the Freaking Chaingunner.
Why. Why are there so many of these bastards.
There are always mobs of them, and they shoot so much that I die before i even know what the hell happened.

Hate em. More than the freaking archvile.

I hate the pain elemental and lost souls most, both monsters are as annoying as hell! Why I hate lost souls? Becase they keep on "Ahh Ahh" and bump into me, causing me to suffer useless damages. For pain elemental, I hate him because he keeps on spawning lost souls!!! Third monster I hate is the revenant, which I always worried about his charging missiles. Fourth Chaingunner, which I hate them shooting me when meet and leds me suffer very large damages.

Well, when I'm playing vanilla Doom or Doom 2 I love them all. Sometimes when I play other peoples wads I hate almost every Doom 2 exclusive monster. It really has everything to do with the way they are used. Spamming any hit-scan monster is an annoying gimmick (especially Heavy Weapons Dude) and hiding monsters behind walls where you can't see them is just asinine. I like chaingunner when used sparingly and I even like the Pain Elemental when it is used well but I hate it when monsters are just used to murder you. Sometimes I think mappers just want to punish me for playing their maps.

I don't hate the game, I hate the players.

Everytime someone complains about PWAD difficulty, I double the amount of chaingunners and revenants I use in my maps.

Shotgun guys, mainly because they are used in place of what would ordinarily be item pickups.

Shotgun guys are easy to kill, so you don't have to put much health,
Shotgun guys give a shotgun, so you don't need to put any weapons
Shotgun guys give shotgun ammo, so no need for shells

This is really annoying for maps played in coop. However, they're a godsend on nightmare mode though.

I prefer Doom 1, but even there it's just as easy for a PWAD to have hordes of zombies that kick your ass, or cyberdemons all over the place. I don't think there's anything inherently bad about any of them, just how they're sometimes used.

Btw, isn't it funny how monsters never run out of ammo?

Revenants. One of their missiles once chased me around an open area in Alien Vendetta for minutes on end, and they do an irritatingly large amount of damage.

Archviles. Resurrect fucking everything. Also fire.

Pain elementals.

Not because of their overuse in some PWADs, I just think the monster is badly designed.

Firstly their behaviour doesn't make sense. They are able to spawn an unlimited number of lost souls, but they only do so when their target is in sight. Why? They could have spawned them until the whole map was full of them, before the player even arrived.

Then there's the infighting behaviour. Two problems with that:

1. Suppose a mancubus accidentally hits a PE with a fireball, the PE will start spitting lost souls at it. The mancubus will retaliate against the lost souls. Makes sense so far, but why does it not also attack the PE that is still spawning them?
  2. Although the lost souls were spawned for the purpose of attacking the mancubus, when the mancubus is dead they will turn on the player.
As a result the player is encouraged to avoid causing in-fights involving PEs. Causing in-fights is fun. Avoiding them is not fun.

Also there's the randomness they can introduce. If the player is fighting a group of monsters containing 2 or more PEs and some non-PEs (typically cacodemons) the result of the battle can depend a lot on whether a cacodemon moves in front of the PE at a crucial moment.

I don't hate any. Sometimes I hate the ways I'm supposed to take out the said demons.

Playing WOS, I'm starting to not like Revenants. Fast, hard to hit at a distance, never know when you're going to get a homing missile and never know if it's going to be intense damage or minor, and somehow their homing missiles can make 90 degree turns on you without warning. And they cheat. X)

I hate Pain Elementals too, I'd prefer 10 revenants and 20 chaingunners instead of one pain elemental because you let the other monsters attack you while you are busy with the pain elemental.

finnw said:

Pain elementals.

...They are able to spawn an unlimited number of lost souls

There's a lost soul limit in vanilla Doom 2 so that's not strictly true.

I don't dislike monsters, I just dislike badly placed monsters. Though I concede that some monsters are more difficult to place than others.

Well, when these threads show up every so often asking for favourite monster, I normally say "blue keycard", like Amaster used to.

So here, I'll say "red skullkey". It is so damned frustrating to fight! But you can change it in dehacked so you can blow the crap out of it.

Barons. They're boring.

Masterminds. They're (nearly) impossible to use well in a map.

I agree about Barons, Even in large groups they pose very little threat and are very tedious to kill, its a irritating that a lot of mappers feel the need to abuse them.

Shotgun guys, because on NM, they dominate the beginning levels. For one of the first enemies you encounter, they can easily take out chunks of your health with one shot; with -fast speed, you pretty much have to land the first shot everytime, unlike chaingunners which stack damage the longer you let them. At least on the maps that have a lot of them the ammo they drop means you won't run out of shells anytime soon.

Memfis said:

Barons are very fun if you have berserk. :)

They're no different from knights save for their life. In most situations where barons are used in maps they could have been replaced with a knight or two and it would have instantly made the map better.

Yellow fucking keys. They sit there, usually on a ledge or some hard to reach spot...blinking at you....taunting you...I mean just look at it.

I hate them...

DeumReaper said:

Shotgun guys, because on NM, they dominate the beginning levels.

Whatever you do, don't try Classic Episode on NM then. Non-linear map layouts, and shotgun guys up the wazoo. ;)