Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Skippy

read now

Originally posted by IMJack
And how, exactly, do they plan to enforce this? Hmm?

Mega Ultra Skill(tm)

My God....this would make:

• CD-R(W) drives pointless
  • The source code release to DOOM 3 illegal
  • All modifications of the current DOOM source illegal
  • Things more difficult for those who just use office works
Overall, this will put us in a stranglehold! It's ridiculous that we make so mahy amendments and such. And people say we're the land of the free; well, what's the fucking point of lining out the freedoms if you're gradually taking them away? Pretty soon the Bill of Rights will be worthless.

No, I'm not supporting warez (not here at least), but that's just going too far.

But like I said, there's no way to enforce this law without declaring some kind of industry holy war. Nothing more pointless than a useless, unenforcable law.

it is just some bill made by some fag who like micronut, there is no way to enforce it. besides if they did the technology would move forward, as would underground programming

My God....this would make:
CD-R(W) drives pointless

not completely, you could play a game that required a cd and listed to a music cd at the same time.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

Originally posted by ZZ_TOPPER_X

been gone for like 3 months and this is what he says!

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

Uh-huh.

....I'll sum up that time with three things:

- King of the Hill.
- New X-Botched (X-BOX, sorry.)
- Continously forgetting to post here.

Originally posted by GooberMan
Wouldn't this contradict competition laws by disallowing free alternatives or something?

Having a government contradicts that law already, doesn't it? You're stuck with one law enforcement system, one currency, etc.

Thankfully, since it was introduced by a Democrat, there's no way it'll pass. And there was much rejoicing...

DC

I'm sensing a lot of wishful thinking from people. I'm expecting it to pass, since we're living in a day and age of complete and utter senselessness. For this bill not to pass and screw up the world would be too good to be true.

Originally posted by Doom-Child
Thankfully, since it was introduced by a Democrat, there's no way it'll pass. And there was much rejoicing...

DC

You want me to kill you now or later?

What, a liberal, here?

Seriously though, for it to pass, it would need some ungodly amount of help. Now, don't get me wrong, the U.S. government seems to be abounding in unholy help, but I think this one is safely beyond their reach. It bloody well better be, anyway.

DC

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
Democrats, Republicans, they all suck.

Wow Liam you're turning into Shady.

I don't subscribe to any political party, but I tend to side more with conservatives than liberals. It just strikes me as funny that someone would be so openly liberal in regards to a game, nay, a community that is constantly being attacked by the liberal media. No offense Cren, but I just find it funny. Maybe even ironic.

DC

You do realize if this passes the internet will die. Even if you say yourself that people can use your code, picture, song, etc that you have the rights to, it's illegal. Heck, sending your resume to businesses online would be illegal. The whole internet would be pointless. They're not only stopping piracy (which I'm all for) but they're stopping information, and people who want to share their work for free. This is stupid.

On another note, there's going to be (not finalized) a fucking tax that will be added to cdrs, cd writers and mp3 players. At least in Canada. $1 tax on CDRs, and $100 on hardware like mp3 players and cd writers. Of course, a law like this one failed almost 2 years ago, but it may happen. Stock up on your cdrs while they're cheap.

Originally posted by Zaldron
Wow Liam you're turning into Shady.

No, he's one of the few to realize all this political grouping is about as useful as racial grouping.

Yet another example of technology laws made by idiots who have no understanding of technology..

yeah, Things can just go way too far sometimes :@!!!

I mean yeah, I had a look at some of the background, yeah okay, disney want to protect their property from thieves who nick/download without paying. But THIS, is ridiculous. This could kill off communities like this, can't mod any game...can't make levels...can't do shit unless you apply for it.

Now, for my opinion. I KNOW I WILL GET FLAMED FOR THIS.
but, quite frankly, this was bound to happen eventually.
Just look around, programs like bnetd. any warez site...people just don't understand that not everything is free. These same people go around saying how easy it is too download a movie or something, but as soon as ITS THEIR program being pirated and you'll see what happens, the instant you take their program, THEY will outright accuse YOU of stealing, these people think that the law doesn't apply to them. They'll then try to justify what they do as, "Providing good content" while claiming that someone, has taken their "lifes work" and "hard earned money" and ripping them off, they see companies as "faceless corporations trying to crush the little people" or some similar propoganda.. They are right.. to an extent, but every "faceless corporation" has hardworking employee's. These people work hard to make something, and often get no credit, but are conviently forgotten, when that info works against an opinion. It happens ALL the time, and as a Majority, we suffer the consequences of the minority, We'll say: WHY are we punished? what did WE do...it's not what you did do, it's what you didn't. You didn't inform the right authorities, and on the flipside, if you did, the "right authorities" won't do shit about it probably due to excuses like "No legal grounds" "baseless accusations" "Fuzzy rulings". It all hits the fan when some ignorant idiot goes on TV/Radio/whatever claiming that "bad acts are rampant", suddenly you've got the people with "morals" saying "we have got to stop these bad acts" while the argument for the other side will be "These are not bad acts, these are our rights" Everyone will hear only what they want to hear, nothing else, and use that info as "solid evidence" and it'll go on TV/Radio with more people basing biased opinions of biased opinions, and it all goes around and gets blown out of proportion. It's a natural thing amongst the human race, it's known as "Shifting the blame"

Lordtrasher? Australia? become technical mecca?
*Laughs Uproariously* Australia, most australians think the light shines out of the americans asses... If america want to kick themselves in the nads, so be it, first country following them down the gurgler will be Australia. Yes, I am australian. but no, I have no respect for this country whatsoever. Nor america for that matter...but insulting america will piss off the yanks, so I'll try not to... but this planet, would be perfect.........without humans to fuck it up.

[edit] I hope my point gets across, That was quite a big rant. haven't done that in a while. Thankfully I probably won't need to again for a while [/edit]