Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

LSD really IS fucked up.

From all the gameplay videos of LSD, I gathered that it was just a mindfuck game that messed with your head. I played it for the first time last night and it was a lot worse.

So it's like the fifth day, I find myself in a dark creepy city area with freeway bridges and shit, some of them being incomplete, and a road going under them. After exploring for a while and finding nothing interesting, I went back to the freeway area. There was a woman in a pink dress standing next to the road and some weird purple thing off in the distance. So I approach the woman and she disappears, so I decide to go check out the purple thing.

Turns out it was actually another woman in a pink dress. I approached her and she seemed to disappear, but I found that she had actually teleported about 20 yards down the road. I approached her and she disappeared again. This happened two or three times.

Then I approach her for the last time, and her fucking head falls off, I'm unable to move, she starts coming toward me and the screen goes red and I'm like NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Shit's freaky yo.

Psychadellic drugs are really fucked up too. That game is probably intended to scare you straight.

I found a video of the part Marnetmar is describing i'm pretty sure.

That's almost exactly what happened, it just lacked the teleporting part. That and I think I found the magical teleporting woman on the other end of the road.

Why is the guy in the video getting so stressed out? Is it really this easy to upset people? This game looks like a sweet idea.

Aliotroph? said:

Why is the guy in the video getting so stressed out? Is it really this easy to upset people? This game looks like a sweet idea.

This is exactly what I had thought. Play it for yourself instead of watching others play. You will be disturbed in no time.

Still not as good as the real thing, I'll give it a try.

People interested in playing LSD will probably find this article to be a good read: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lsd/lsd.htm

Details the game and also gives you a bit of background on the development process.

This quip is pretty neat:

Hiroko Nishikawa kept a detailed dream journal for over ten years. Osamu Sato combined those dreams with creative gameplay mechanics to create a rare gem in LSD: Dream Emulator.

I keep thinking (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), that this would be easily made in Doom. Could be cool.

What I am loving about this is that at first you're all like hey I don't need to walk around I can just bump into a wall and go to the next segment but each one is so interesting you can't but explore it.

I watched the pink dress videos before playing so that didn't get me but some parts that have made me jump

Spoiler

I saw a black circle/sphere thing and walked toward it and when I got close a face popped out and got me. Also, one segment had terrible fog and I walked into a giant pair of lips

also

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of this game, but apparently it is really hard to find. Why can't we have more cool games like this?

Also, what involvement did Jimi Tenor have in this game?

Marnetmar said:

This is exactly what I had thought. Play it for yourself instead of watching others play. You will be disturbed in no time.

Yeah I can imagine. It probably isn't that scary to watch but I'm sure with how slow your character moves and no means of defense, something that will literally stun you in your tracks and slowly devour you whole has to be horrifying.

As Nomad said, something like this could easily be made with Doom. Some notable qualities I see with the game is that the player doesn't get any weapons or anything. Does the player get to do anything besides walk and look around? Also the player cannot see very far past the fog surrounding him. I know Inkworks has a feature that can change the color of darkness, so that mapping with low lighting will create a colored fog. I think Doom with or without uncapped frame rate would be an ideal engine to create dreams with. Of course this would need to be done with some really talented people. (Doom maps with random objects in them are not dreams)