Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Was 'Between Levels' the original Doom 2 Intermission music?

Kind of. Also the name "Between Levels" refers to Intermission.

I think the intermission they have was a good pick. That opening drum solo is definitely a sense of accomplishment.

Except that Intermission from Doom is 200% better than Between Levels. D_BETWEE really only works for small silly levels.

Yeah, I've always though it made sense as an intermission piece submission, due to its name and style. The designers (Romero?) must have requested something that sounded more in tune with the "twisted" intermission screen, as d_betwee sounds a bit too mechanic and not creepy or mocking enough for that.

I've always wondered that myself. However, I like the current Doom 2 Inter music better. Drum solo is a good opening for it and the 4 note Phrygian Minor scale bass line fits the feel of the screen and the game overall.

Eh, never liked D_BETWEE. It sounds completely out of place in the game.

I always liked "between levels", probably because my childhood self always loved the focus so much, especially the room at the start with the random shutter thing and the shotgun guys.

D_BETWEE is a great track, and really fits the level it's used on.

It seems to work.

Gives a different feel, though. It feels more laid back and less fast-paced than either the Doom 1 or Doom 2 intermission music. If the hypothesis is correct, perhaps that's why it was replaced.