Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anvil 31

The reason why i hated Doom 3

When i first played Doom (1) it was on of the best games i have ever played! When i played Doom 2, Now that is the best (opinion) game ever, even more fun than Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, or Medal of Honor! It was so fun! I loved the retro style and the music on the first map.
Why? Because of the gameplay of course! Doom 2 really made it for FPS, Boy Did i love the multiplayer.

Now time to talk about Doom 3, it's a disgrace to the Doom series. It's like Battlefield 2 and Bad Company, or Like Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2, Doom does not stay to it's roots, when i played it it felt more like playing Turok: Seeds of Evil directly to the new Turok. It's like it started to merge the movie and Doom 2 together.

What happened to
the famous shotgun? They had to make it all futuristic. And the soundtrack, Boy was the Doom 2 soundtrack amassing especially Running from Hell or Evil, Whatever it was. Also i loved how it was more of a puzzle game rather than a big scary horror game. I loved trying to find secret rooms and try to get every key, but i could never find that last yellow one! They made the game like it is 2100 and all the guns look futuristic, i mean even the minigun has a holographic display for the ammo count.

Also what happened to all the fun out of it? I hate being scared when i play a game, i just wan't to have fun, and only Doom 2 seems to have that for me. Even the monster don't look like what it should be. Doom 3 seems like it's more towards the Doom movie where everything is about science and stuff. Doom 3 just seems like it has turned from a fun puzzle gory bloody arcade game full of demons to a modern horror sci-fi shooter full of demons.

Doom 3 just does not have the same feeling as Doom 2 had on me, Doom 3 just looks like a mod created by some sci-fi horror fan to me. I just hope Doom 4 is not like that, or ID has lost a fan, NOT TO MENTION, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO WITH ACTIVISION ID!!! >:/

Anvil 31 said:

Also what happened to all the fun out of it? I hate being scared when i play a game,

The reason is easy to deduce: Doom 3 wasn't meant for you, and I'm sorry that you were disappointed expecting something like a better Doom 2. I think you should have read the preview/review articles about Doom 3 to deduce that it was going to be a horror shooter, not a run and gun shooter.

I personally don't find it scary enough, but boy is it well directed. My opinion.

Anvil 31 said:

They had to make it all futuristic.

how dare sci-fi games look futuristic

also: wah

Doom 3 came out before the movie, and Activison had been publishing iD Software games since Quake 2.

Anvil 31 said:

I played every doom except 2 and i wan't to know if there is anyone still playing multiplayer on Xbox Live? Other than that i don't see much into the game

[...]

When i first played Doom (1) it was on of the best games i have ever played! When i played Doom 2, Now that is the best (opinion) game ever

Huh? So I guess you just bought it a few minutes before making this thread?

I recently got an urge play through doom 3 for the second time, now that my computer can actually run it worth a damn (very well actually), I thought it might be worth the actual experience.

So I started the singleplayer campaign on veteran, and I have to say, I am appreciating this game MUCH more on the second playthrough than I did on the first. When I had played it the first time I had a very closed mindset, expecting it to be too much like the classic games. However, I am finding that while no, the game is not much like doom or doom 2, the game stands well on its own, and I enjoy the action as much as I enjoy the atmosphere (and boy is it atmospheric).

Why not try on Nightmare? If your computer can run Doom 3 fluidly, you'd get good enough to be careful in order to survive (keep in mind most monsters can one-shoot you in Nightmare) and it becomes more exciting (I screamed today when I discovered a zombie I had ignored was about to give me a death slap).

printz said:

Why not try on Nightmare? If your computer can run Doom 3 fluidly, you'd get good enough to be careful in order to survive (keep in mind most monsters can one-shoot you in Nightmare) and it becomes more exciting (I screamed today when I discovered a zombie I had ignored was about to give me a death slap).

I actually was going to at first, but the difficulty was faded out due to needing to reinstall the game. I know that this can be easily fixed by editing a config file (or maybe even a cheat? I haven't checked), but I decided to do it the normal way and start on veteran. Besides, it would give me an excuse to play the story again sometime ;).

I didn't find Doom 3 to be all that bad. Honestly, I like the classics and D3 the same. There different styles and that adds a bit of variety to the series.

The way I see it, from every thing I have read about hate campaigns against Doom 3, the ONLY reason why every one hates it so much, is because you don't run as fast. I personally don't mind the fact that you move slower, it adds suspense.

Anvil 31 said:

Doom 3 seems like it's more towards the Doom movie where everything is about science and stuff.

You do know Doom 3 came out BEFORE the Doom movie, right? While there was some science Mumbo-Jumbo thrown into Doom 3, it really had nothing to do with games story except for the big advanced teleporters, but those were in Doom/2 too. The movie was all abot biological mishaps and the dangers of dumb science.

As it turns out, Doom 3 was not a Doom 2 clone. About 10 years difference between the two, of course they're going to be very different.

For me the Hell map was the low point of the game. I found it so boring that I actually ended up thinking it was several maps the first time I played through it.

I'm kind of with you, kristus. I remember when RoE was being talked about shortly after D3's release. They (Tim Willits maybe, even though I know id didn't develop RoE) said in more than one interview that everyone's favorite parts of D3 were the excavation maps and the hell section. Maybe yes to the hell section. But good grief, the excavation site section was the most drab-looking and uninspired-feeling experience I had in that game.

I remember the Hell level as almost pitch black with a few red lights about. Little to no thought seemed to have gone into the level. I think the main reason people like the map is because of the change in theme. It's refreshing. They didn't do it enough.

Doom 3 started me on Doom again. I'm personally more of a Quake man myself but after playing RTCW I read that Q3 uses the same engine so I bought that and started working my way back through the id Software games. Basically back until the Gamers Edge games. All that was quite a few years ago now (Oh, how time flies by), about 2001 and now I'm and id addict and like many people here own everything id has ever released.

DOOM is suposed to be scary, but they hit the action more back in 1993
I know, DOOM3 could have been better, much Much MUCH better, feels like youre a huge blimp in than game and the shotgun sucks so bad I rather FIST the enemies to death (hahaha get it ? :D ) now that was a bad joke, however, ID will always be the N1 forever since they invented the FPS, and made DOOM series, QUAKE series, but about that activison stuff u said ...

WHAT IN DEVIL SUCKER ON DEFILED EARTH DID YOU SAY??? ACTIVISION BOUGHT ID?? OH SHIT GET ME MY NUKES NOW

Shaviro said:

I remember the Hell level as almost pitch black with a few red lights about. Little to no thought seemed to have gone into the level. I think the main reason people like the map is because of the change in theme. It's refreshing. They didn't do it enough.

What? Turn your brightness/gamma/whatever up, it's not supposed to look like that. At all.

I really liked the excavation sites, they were as refreshing as the hell sites, and made me feel like Indiana Jones. But I prefer the excavation sites from custom maps moreso.

The only part about the excavation levels I enjoyed was the interesting "Tomb of the Hero" sarcophagus, tying into the whole "the original DOOM story actually happened, but a long, long time ago" thing you get from the tablets.

Doom 3's games didn't feel very sci-fi. Doom 1 didn't feel very sci fi. Sure its on another planet, but it didn't feel like it.

Variety in Doom 3's scenery would have been nice. Like >>
Start on Mars (make the city look and feel different), end up on Phobos and Diemos and hell. Have them all look and feel different. That's been a big complaint... it all looked the same when Doom had cityscapes, green interiors, grey interiors, skin walls, hell textures.

Its a 20+ hour game and I'd say change the look every 2-5 hours. Even with Morrowind and Oblivion that reuse the same things over and over, there are breaks inbetween them. Like town, castle, ruins, cave, castle, fortress, ice cave. Diversity goes a long way.

Did everything have to be dark and moody? I'm sure blasting zombies in a bright white corridoor would have been a lot more fun. But I guess if the place is on emergeancy power it has to be dark.

I didn't find the Mars levels too alike. Sure, they use similar textures, but the evolution is there. Compare relatively friendly and even Doom-bibleish Administration and Alpha Labs with the more frenetic and shores-of-hellish Central Processing and Site 3.

geo said:

Variety in Doom 3's scenery would have been nice. Like >>
Start on Mars (make the city look and feel different), end up on Phobos and Diemos and hell. Have them all look and feel different. That's been a big complaint... it all looked the same when Doom had cityscapes, green interiors, grey interiors, skin walls, hell textures.

Phobos and Deimos wouldn't have been a bad idea, then Resurrection of Evil disappoints with a bunch of maps named "Phobos" that still take place on Mars. Anyway, Phobos and Deimos could have been implemented like Quake's Ziggurat Vertigo, with very tall buildings and very low gravity. I'm quite curious how real moon bases will turn out to be built, if they need to accomodate to the lower gravity.

Descent-like gameplay would have solved the lack-of-gravity problem elegantly.

Phobos, Diemos, and Hell should have been $15 expansions.

Phobos would be grey and dead. Deimos would be green and in Hell. Hell would just be weird. Each new episode would be 4-8 hours.

To summarize that would be $50 for Doom 3, $15 for Phobos, $15 for Diemos, $15 for Hell and $15 for ROE. I think that's a solid way they could have made money. That's $110 for Doom 3 or $40 for a Doom 3 game of the year. People would buy it.

Even if expansions sold 100,000 copies at $5 that would be well worth it to ID to do that. But they didn't.

Anvil 31 said:

What happened to
the famous shotgun? They had to make it all futuristic. And the soundtrack, Boy was the Doom 2 soundtrack amassing especially Running from Hell or Evil, Whatever it was. Also i loved how it was more of a puzzle game rather than a big scary horror game. I loved trying to find secret rooms and try to get every key, but i could never find that last yellow one! They made the game like it is 2100 and all the guns look futuristic, i mean even the minigun has a holographic display for the ammo count.

Also what happened to all the fun out of it? I hate being scared when i play a game, i just wan't to have fun, and only Doom 2 seems to have that for me. Even the monster don't look like what it should be. Doom 3 seems like it's more towards the Doom movie where everything is about science and stuff. Doom 3 just seems like it has turned from a fun puzzle gory bloody arcade game full of demons to a modern horror sci-fi shooter full of demons.

A Sci Fi game about Science set in a fictional world with horror elements and interesting technology? BLASPHEMY!

Now that I've been playing Half Life 1 which uses the Quake engine. I'm discovered Doom 3 took a lot of elements from Half Life 1 a game that was probably 7 years old by the time Doom 3 came out. Such as wall health and walking around a base before it all goes to hell in front of your eyes.

The sad thing is that Doom 3 didn't do it as well as Half Life 1. So it just makes me think.

Funny that you mention the "wall health" thing, because that was featured in Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, which was released exactly one week before Doom.