Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Really huge map used to demonstrate some editor's capabilities

Does anyone know what map this is? I used to have it but I lost it along with my hard drive a few years ago.

I vaguely recall someone pasting four copies of Vrack 2 into a single map, and using that as a benchmark map. It might've been the original Vrack, or Vrack 3, though.

I think Vrack 2 itself might have been used as a benchmark as well.

I know there is a rather convoluted map called Kaboom, made entirely using DeepSea, by the editor author. Not strictly a limit pushing map. Or a benchmark for that matter.

No idea what you're referring to...but this made me remember an editor that came with a Doom 2 guide back in the day, the default sectors always had Bronze/Brown Walls, and the yellow rock flat RROCK02 for ceiling and floor.

MegaZzZeux said:

No idea what you're referring to...but this made me remember an editor that came with a Doom 2 guide back in the day, the default sectors always had Bronze/Brown Walls, and the yellow rock flat RROCK02 for ceiling and floor.

There are a few maps like this. You're thinking of one specifically designed to test the limits, though, whereas I can only think of ones which come close to doing that as a indirect result of being massive and intricately detailed.

NaturalTvventy did that massive industrial map which couldn't get finished due to the Doom engine's limitations. Vela Pax's larger maps also (nearly) suffered from similar problems.

Hellcore 2.0 has quite a few. MAP09 is pretty intense because there are virtually no one-sided lines. Same with Speed of Doom MAP28.

Renegade DoomED Deluxe. First editor, I used it for several years.

Jimmy91 said:

There are a few maps like this. You're thinking of one specifically designed to test the limits, though, whereas I can only think of ones which come close to doing that as a indirect result of being massive and intricately detailed.

NaturalTvventy did that massive industrial map which couldn't get finished due to the Doom engine's limitations. Vela Pax's larger maps also (nearly) suffered from similar problems.

Hellcore 2.0 has quite a few. MAP09 is pretty intense because there are virtually no one-sided lines. Same with Speed of Doom MAP28.

It was just one huge space themed map. Just as big or perhaps larger than Jade Earth I think.

Mithran Denizen said:

I vaguely recall someone pasting four copies of Vrack 2 into a single map, and using that as a benchmark map. It might've been the original Vrack, or Vrack 3, though.

You can find that one on the horrible Deepsea site: http://www.sbsoftware.com/download.html
Scroll down to the self-proclaimed "Largest DOOM2 Level in the world" heading.

Jimmy91 said:

It's the format limitations, not the engine's.

Deepsea had a pretty shitty map made to demonstrate the Editors different capabilities. IIRC it was a rather large map.

Mr. Chris said:

Why has there been no mention of Deus Vult?

It isn't all that large; it doesn't even need extended nodes.