Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
supershotgunguy

Official Doom 2 Screensaver

Does anyone have the 4 floppies that installs the program. I saw this on youtube. I want it because it has 4 modes:
Barrels o' fun
The Duel
Fireworks
and Skeet Shooting

If anyone has it, please let me have a copy. I have been looking all over the internet.

I had it. I remember when it started out as $25. Soon after it dropped to $1.

I'll have to see if its around somewhere. I think I got rid of it.

supershotgunguy said:

If anyone has it, please let me have a copy. I have been looking all over the internet.

I have the CD version, though I don't know who holds the copyright so handing out free copies is bound to be risky. One thing I can tell you is that it ran ridiculously fast on my old Celeron 800 (don't recall finding any way to adjust the animation speed) and it'd probably run at insane speeds on modern CPUs.

Yeah I can't find it. I think I loaned it to someone a decade ago that never gave it back.

I'd like those 3 lost episodes :-)

I do. Its Setup program bombs under XP Home (which is hardly surprising for a Windows 3.1 program) so I'll attempt a manual install and report back later, though given the error messages that popped up I don't like my chances.

(Thumbnails - click to enlarge)

Man, I used to love sitting at my W3 PC and watching those screensavers :)

I have the four disk version, and a few months ago was twiddling with it. Nope, Windows XP (or higher) is a no-go, but I successfully installed it with a copy of Windows 3.11 running under DOSBox though :)

I forget offhand, but the engine used for the screensavers was a popular one at the time... several other retail game-themed screensavers at the time used the same screensaver engine.

Anyhow, highly recommended :)

(re: The Lost Eposides)

I still have my book/manual and the original install floppy. I also had downloaded an update (from Synex's long-since gone web site) eons ago so's that it would run under Ultimate DOOM.

Heh, still have that WAD on my hard drive, and as recently as about three months ago, played the entire thing under ZDOOM... very well done levels, and very "original DOOM-ish" :)

The BFG is firing a laser similar to the official Doom boxart, I wonder why this cover uses something like that instead of a BFG flash and battered barons from bullets and buckshot?

I've got the floppies. Well, they're at my parents house, and a USB floppy drive is at work, so I could image them if anyone cared enough.

I remember I had a Doom screensaver on the old family PC, it just had monster sprites rotating and bumping about the screen though AFAIK, any idea what that was?

/me pats his floppies...

er...

Anyway, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to re-create a xp/vista/7 compatible version from scratch.

Would it?

and a mac version too. yeah.

sgtcrispy said:

Anyway, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to re-create a xp/vista/7 compatible version from scratch. Would it? and a mac version too. yeah.

Go for it :)

A free Doom screensaver based on ZDoom has also been made, called Desktop Doom. I've never tried either screensaver, so I can't really comment on their differences.

Mr. Chris said:

The BFG is firing a laser similar to the official Doom boxart, I wonder why this cover uses something like that instead of a BFG flash and battered barons from bullets and buckshot?

The art may have been commissioned before the finished BFG, the artist wasn't aware of how it worked, or even cared.

It's these bizarre foibles that make old game cover art so much fun.

I have the CD version but, from memory, the install program doesn't work on newer operating systems and the screensaver wasn't that good anyway.

rfnagel said:

I still have my book/manual and the original install floppy. I also had downloaded an update (from Synex's long-since gone web site) eons ago so's that it would run under Ultimate DOOM.

Can you upload that update anywhere? I know of one, i downloaded somewhere on a DW hosted site, but i thought, that was a community patch. It was a zip file, containing a wad called jptr_fix.wad.

I'm pretty sure it's easy to recreate these screensavers now, no?

Make your own. Save it, convert the video get it as a .scr format and then have it as a screensaver... you can also use it as a WMV and use it as a desktop using dreamscene. Personally I'm not geek enough to have a doom desktop playthrough but thanks for making me now have to make one. ;)