Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
finnw

PSX Doom PLAYPAL

A question for the console hackers:

Does anyone know what all the extra palette entries in PSX Doom (the real console version, not the TC) are for?

The PSX version has six extra palettes, but (with one exception) it is not obvious to me what they are for.

PC palette:

PSX palette:

I assume palettes 0-13 are one-to-one equivalents between the two versions (except that the PSX has color 0 transparent in all palettes.)

Palette 14 must be for invulnerability (implemented with COLORMAP on the PC version.)

Maybe palette 15 is for the fire sky?

Palette 16 is a strange one. It is similar to palette 0 but with increased contrast (more in some hues than others.) Also color #255 is white instead of magenta. Could it be left over from debugging screens used only by the developers?

Could 17 be for the title screen/credits? If so I don't think it takes full advantage of the extra blues/purples.

finnw said:

A question for the console hackers:

Does anyone know what all the extra palette entries in PSX Doom (the real console version, not the TC) are for?

The PSX version has six extra palettes, but (with one exception) it is not obvious to me what they are for.

I assume palettes 0-13 are one-to-one equivalents between the two versions (except that the PSX has color 0 transparent in all palettes.)

Palette 14 must be for invulnerability (implemented with COLORMAP on the PC version.)

Maybe palette 15 is for the fire sky?

Palette 16 is a strange one. It is similar to palette 0 but with increased contrast (more in some hues than others.) Also color #255 is white instead of magenta. Could it be left over from debugging screens used only by the developers?

Could 17 be for the title screen/credits? If so I don't think it takes full advantage of the extra blues/purples.

You're pretty much right on everything. The main title screen, credits, and firesky all uses a separate palette. Pal entry #0 is used for transparency as with most PSX/N64 games.

Also there's no colormap in psxdoom since it uses a hardware renderer.