Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

confessin our perversions i see

NiuHaka said:

-I don't like the super shotgun... even though I use it more than any other weapon.

yep

Gordon said:

I don't know where the normal exit is in E2M5. I always just take the secret exit.

I can't find the normal exit in E1M4 or whatever in Heretic, so I always have to go through E1M9. I do know that on XBLA Doom on my UV playthrough I went through the secret maps simply because those exits were easier to get to.

yellowmadness54 said:

- I stop playing usually when I die rather than respawning

Especially when it's a wad I don't really care about.

Doomhuntress said:

I think I used the resurrect cheat at least twice when playing through Suspended in Dusk today.

I'm usually all for playing in whatever port you want but SiD in ZDoom = doin it rong. On a side note though, resurrect ftw.

Clonehunter said:

- Despite being boring to fight and useless in most maps, I think Barons are the most badass enemy for a video game ever created.

o yes. Also I find the wake up cry of barons and hell knights terrifying.

a bunch of people said:

AV is overrated

I used to feel this way until I sat down and played the thing front to back. It really is amazing.

I play on skill 1, though I'm hardly shy about that fact. I can trudge through maps on UV, but skill 1 is just where I find the game most fun. Maybe as I get better that will change.

I hate relying on autoaim to hit monsters above me (especially when it's so far away you hit the stupid distance limit) but I just can't bring myself to use mouselook outside of multiplayer.

Though I push Cyberdreams every so often, I've only played through it once. Though that's all it takes to fall in love. I do think I am going to play it again soon.

I like Mock 2 and some other jokewads for their abstractness and scripted sequences. I'd love a somewhat abstract crazy WAD with a fun story told through scripted cutscenes.

My biggest confession is that even though I've always had a sort of fascination with Doom, I never actually got my hands on it until 2007.

Oh and finally, not only am I Catpack, I am

Spoiler

iluvpuppies

Oh, here's another one. I was pretty obsessive-compulsive on my first playthroughs of Doom. Every monster had to die, every bit of ammo and health snatched up, so I'd shoot off rounds to pick up spares at the end and use damage floors for bruising Doomguy. I don't know if it came from the ITEMS percentage (which I thought meant every item) or what.

Also, I still suck at dancing through mancubus fireballs. I need a WAD that's just me and a mancubus, 1 on 1, so I can practice and not die like a moron when I can't stunlock them in a less big place.

Never defeated any Icon of Sin map without cheating. I just hate that whole concept.

Never played through most of Plutonia. I just dislike unbalanced, not enough ammo designs.

I didn't play through UD's episode four until a few years ago. Again, I hated playing the shockingly difficult first two levels and I assumed incorrectly that it would only get worse from there.

It seems popular to hate on Bobby Prince, but I admit that I think and always thought he was awesome. People call him a thief, but it was Romero that gave Bobby a list of Metal/Rock songs to make cover versions of, while it was Bobby that argued for the inclusion of more ambient, mood driven tracks as well.

I prefer playing Vanilla on dosbox over any source port.

I have started dozens of maps on editors but I have never completed even one single level, because I always scrap the whole thing after testing it.

Back in the day I thought that Half-Life and Unreal were finally worthy successors to Doom, and took the FPS genre to the next level. But now I would hardly play either game.

Doom64 is my favourite version of the game and I think the Kex engine is the best thing to have happened in the Doom scene thus far... It makes me cream my pants just thinking of the future of that port!

I have never finished making a level for Doom because, I'm really embarrassed to say, I just can't seem to understand how to make steps.

I love ChocoDoom so much that I have a dedicated netbook just for it along with a special batch style exe file that loads on boot-up which I have dubbed Sprinkles. That way I can load up pwads, deh files etc almost instantly and I describe it to my girlfriend as having ChocoDoom with Sprinkles... I also call the netbook my Chocolate Box... I'm in my mid 30's... God, I'm sad!

kmxexii said:

Oh, here's another one. I was pretty obsessive-compulsive on my first playthroughs of Doom. Every monster had to die, every bit of ammo and health snatched up, so I'd shoot off rounds to pick up spares at the end and use damage floors for bruising Doomguy. I don't know if it came from the ITEMS percentage (which I thought meant every item) or what.

Ha ha, I am also like this. I just thought, 'Nothing can survive! All Your Ammo/Health Belong to Me!' And I was always disapointed when I couldn't pick a piece of ammo up, so then I fired whatever gun that needed that ammo so I could pick it up.

DuckReconMajor said:

That sounds awesome. But what if you are full on rockets and don't have a launcher?

Given doomguy's running speed, throwing them javelin style should do the trick...

On maps with lots of open space, if I've got spare rockets and health I sometimes play games where I fire one and chase after it, trying to follow close enough to get splash damage when it hits a wall, or alternately avoid the splash at the last second. :D Sometimes I run a bit to the side, in order to watch it fly from another perspective. I haven't yet managed to fully catch-up or outrun one yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a demo out there of that.

-I despair at how long most things take to finish in this community, given how quick some of us make maps.
-Likewise I despair at how a lot of people seem incapable of working in a project without trying to change it to what they want it to be.

redhead said:

I discovered Doom when I was already in my thirties and I was playing both of them till my fingers bled , for years and years , totally unaware that out there people are making some stuff , called wads , mods ... Then I found out about that , and I had a HUGE problem : I didn't have a clue how the hell to load them . My ignorance was ( and still is ) so big , that I don't even know how to put a link to the stupid question I asked here on Doomworld . That is how I earned this nice status,anyway... So , a year has passed , and I can say that I have played every goddamn wad that was ever made , so I managed to catch up with all of you guys , more or less , heh. And,one more thing - I am 40 now and I am female . I hope everyone reading this is having a laugh , seriously , this is a odd story/confession , that nobody can even come close to .

I've gotta admit I did have a laugh

Phobus said:

-I despair at how long most things take to finish in this community, given how quick some of us make maps.

I agree, CC4 is taking an insane amount of time.

hex11 said:

I haven't yet managed to fully catch-up or outrun one yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a demo out there of that.

It's actually pretty easy to do that by wall running.

- I have only completed one Doom map and have started at least 13.
- On the contrary I have finished at least 15 Wolf3D maps and started about 17.

I prefer the ambient soundtracks of PSX and N64 Doom to the original Bobby Prince scores, even though I think his music was great.

DuckReconMajor said:

That sounds awesome. But what if you are full on rockets and don't have a launcher?

It never happened when I played, but I stuck to the doom and doom II IWADs so I always carried over the launcher from a previous level, which I never lost because of similarly obsessive saving practices.

kmxexii said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this.

I confess, that most of what passes for popular in wads/mapping bores me to tears and I truly feel that most mappers only ape what others have done (over and over) and have no originality or real talent at mapping whatsoever! It's like playing an instrument. Just about anyone can practise and get basic technique... very few can use that technique to write good quality music.

redhead said:

And,one more thing - I am 40 now and I am female .

Not so fast... I had the exact same problem, and I came back when I turned 40 too. It's kind of odd that something so small was so hard to figure out. I imagine it turns newbies away from playing custom wads. I eventually found a wad that explained in the textfile how to load it (!) and that solved that. So not too odd really. 43 now, gamer for life (I remember when pong came out and my first computer was a Vic20!), and Doom will always be one of my favs.

Reiken said:

I almost never use the plasma rifle and bfg, thinking I'd better
save the ammo for that big fight that's coming up...then exit with
600~ cells. (Getting better at cutting loose, but I generally hoard
supplies.)

same here. i'm a virtual scrooge, i have a habit of collecting every clip and health bonus i see, even if i don't need them. i also avoid taking damage as much as possible, then marvel at demos where the player doesn't give a damn about that ;)

being reluctant to use plasma and bfg makes me bad at slaughter maps.

-I vastly prefer the SNES port to the PC version and dislike all Doom1 maps that didn't get into it;
-I start a lot of pwads but ragequit or get bored with most of them which saddens me;
-Love D3 and like the movie;
-I play dooms for the atmosphere yet i haven't enjoyed many wads that were known to be atmospheric, except Unloved;
-I hate plutonia style gameplay and most plutonia style maps visually, though the first ones from the originals were a bit atmospheric and there were some really impressive ones in the community plutonia sequels;
-I despise slaughtermaps and like maps that have few enemies and very little pickups;
-I absolutely hate opengl modes for doom and wish they never existed;
-Haven't gotten farther than E4M2 in Ep4 of ultimate doom;
-Never select difficulty < UV but lose interest in a map after a few deaths;
-Dislike zdoom features yet am making a zdoom requiring megawad for probably more than three years (that's two in one!).

Umm...

• Shooting monsters actually bores me extremely quickly.

• For the last five years I've been intending to get properly up to speed with the inner workings of the Doom engine, and I have the source code for a dozen engine variants sitting in front of me at all times, but I never really dig into the code unless I'm specifically looking for something.

• I like Doom95's down-shifted sound effects. Not quite enough to actually use Doom95, but still.

• Barring heinous disruption to my free time, I run through the shareware episode at least once per month, and I'm still not sick of it. When my other commitments aren't in the way, I'll tend to run through it once per day.

• Like some others here, the list of praised wads that I haven't yet played is pretty extensive, and it keeps getting longer, as more projects are finished before I play through the earlier stuff. Just off the top of my head, I've never played Serenity, Hell Revealed 2, Action Doom 2, Harmony, Speed of Doom, Alien Vendetta, Crucified Dreams, Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2, Icarus, Scythe, Doom Core, Null Space, Unloved, Kama Sutra, Congestion 1024, Deus Vult, Plutonia 2, or Whispers of Satan.

Hence my oft-expressed hatred for slaughter maps.

I actually just finished maps 1-4 of Sunder on UV, and enjoyed every minute of it, though. Maybe the strengths in layout and architecture took my mind off of how boring it is to massacre hordes of monsters, I'm not sure.

Mithran Denizen said:

Hence my oft-expressed hatred for slaughter maps.

I actually just finished maps 1-4 of Sunder on UV, and enjoyed every minute of it, though. Maybe the strengths in layout and architecture took my mind off of how boring it is to massacre hordes of monsters, I'm not sure.

As much as I like you dude, I've gotta say to this quote: IYHO

Is it weird that another confession of mine is that the only reason I continued playing Doom when I first played it because I loved all of the blood in the Pinky death animation and thus couldn't get enough pixelated violence?

I have to say this thread is pretty amusing and enjoyable to read. :)

I'm a bit surprised that I'm not the only one who has a reluctance to use plasma. If I use the plasma rifle, I try not to kill the monster with it because then I will almost certainly waste cells on the wall. It's always gratifying, tho, when I phase a cacodemon and let off the trigger and the last plasma ball kills him.

I assume resurrect brings the dead player back to life. I have never used this cheat because I hadn't heard of it until I read this thread. :D

Sinter said:

I confess, that most of what passes for popular in wads/mapping bores me to tears and I truly feel that most mappers only ape what others have done (over and over) and have no originality or real talent at mapping whatsoever! It's like playing an instrument. Just about anyone can practise and get basic technique... very few can use that technique to write good quality music.

What's your idea of a good map?

Sinter said:

I agree with alot of that, but don't lose interest in Doom, there's PLENTY, and i mean PLENTY of us that have unusual maps. Look around and I promise you'll find something to suit your doom taste.

Clonehunter said:

Is it weird that another confession of mine is that the only reason I continued playing Doom when I first played it because I loved all of the blood in the Pinky death animation and thus couldn't get enough pixelated violence?

Not atall man! I've always found IMMENSE pleasure in 90% of all death animation/sounds + weapon discharges

The supershotgun's sound simultaneous to the pinky's death is a favourite

Hellbent said:

I assume resurrect brings the dead player back to life. I have never used this cheat because I hadn't heard of it until I read this thread. :D

I didn't think of it at first, but I find myself using resurrect fairly often, especially on maps that I just want to finish and forget. I don't like to save (unless I'm trudging my way through the type of slaughter stuff that I usually hate), so if I'm playing a longer map and I die, I'll tend to do one of the following, depending on how weary I've grown with the wad:

• Restart the map from a pistol start, assuming it's worth the attention of a second play.

• Resurrect from where I fell, so that I can quickly see the entire map and get it over with.

• Quit playing upon death, then delete the wad and forget about it.

phobosdeimos1 said:

The supershotgun's sound simultaneous to the pinky's death is a favourite

Oh God that is always a great. I always felt BA when I killed a Pinky with the SSG. Also why I like other 90's era games, always bloody. Powerslave had cool gibs, Hitler's death is always a classic, and don't get me started on the Mancubus. :D