Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How can I know how big new monsters will be in-game?

I am using MS paint to create some new monsters/enemies, but I don't know how big or small I am suppose to draw to make sure that the monsters are too big or too small in-game.

Can anyone tell me the correct size I should be aiming for (number of pixels and stuff like that) when it comes to making enemies?

Also note that I am not planning on making completely new monsters from scratch, I am just going to replace the sprites of some of the old ones.

Anyone?

8 pixels is a foot both horizontally and vertically. (but if you want to account for the screen stretching vertically (which id didn't), 9.6 pixels per foot vertically)

This was id's official scale for their 3d games before Quake, by the way.

Obviously, just decide how big you want your monster in feet, and set your image size accordingly.

hardcore_gamer said:

Can anyone tell me the correct size I should be aiming for (number of pixels and stuff like that) when it comes to making enemies?

As an example, the tallest frame of the imp during its walking animation (TROOC1) is 39 pixels wide by 60 tall.

The Spider Demon (SPIDA1D1) is 195 wide x 110 tall.

The Cyberdemon (CYBRA1) is 82 wide x 110 tall.

Would it be too difficult to paste one of the Imp's frames side by side with the monster you're drawing to give you an idea?

40oz said:

Would it be too difficult to paste one of the Imp's frames side by side with the monster you're drawing to give you an idea?

It is laggy to open 2 pictures :P :P