Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That sky looks gorgeous and so does your map. Shot 1 especially. You say this is your first map? How long have you been experimenting with map editors?

Wow that looks excellent. You definitely have level design for other games in your background. Either that or you're a damn prodigy!

@esselfortium this is my first attempt at using a map editor. i studied other maps by various authors in doom builder 2 before attempting anything.

@Krispavera i tried to make a map for dark forces once. bleh.

That's actually pretty insane for a first map, especially shot 1.

Do I see a secret door in the right side of shot 2?

this is what I get for not testing in the intended exe. does anyone have any idea what's going on in the sky?

Probably the dimensions aren't proper, or something like that.

I'd just recommend bumping up the intended engine to whatever works. It'd be a shame to have to cut out some of those things.

Bah, just set the port requirements to "limit removing". This is looking way too awesome to limit yourself to vanilla constraints just yet.

By the way, are you sure you're not accidentally referencing E5M1 in some of these? :P

The sky needs to be split up into four 256x128 patches, arranged into a texture the TEXTURE1 lump to create the full 1024-wide sky, for vanilla Doom to display it properly. It chokes when trying to draw the wide patch, but can handle it if you split it up.

I agree with Xaser and XutaWoo, though, that you might as well bump this up to a limit-removing port. For that you might as well fix the sky for full port compatibility, and leave everything else alone. No sense in ripping apart your work; if you're interested in mapping for vanilla at some point later on you can always come back to it. It's generally a bit easier and more rewarding when you can work with it in mind from the beginning.

Whoa...no way this is your first map. The sky is really awesome and for a first time mapper, your texture alignment is spot on. Surely you've done some previous mapping before (maybe not for Doom...?).

I hope to see more :D

@Mechadon like i said, i tried to map for dark forces a long time ago. nothing came of it. this is my first successful (arguable) attempt at mapping for any game.

minor update:

Nice :)

Minor issue: I notice some brick misalignments on the lower side walls. From the looks of the surroundings it might be lacking either vertical alignment or upper/lower unpegged line flags? (I have no idea if you know about unpegging yet :P)

esselfortium said:

Nice :)

Minor issue: I notice some brick misalignments on the lower side walls. From the looks of the surroundings it might be lacking either vertical alignment or upper/lower unpegged line flags? (I have no idea if you know about unpegging yet :P)

I see no misalignments (?) unless deference updated the image.

@esselfortium yeah, i'm aware of the unpegged flags, but i didn't have any idea what they did until about... five seconds ago. thanks for that.

Damn dude. Everyone has already said it but these are some beautiful screens.

Infurnus said:

I am more impressed by your rhyme than your room.

I only slightly disagree. I think the rhyme is almost as impressive as the room.

still trying new texture combinations to make something more... e2-ish than the actual e2, i guess you can say. here is supposed to be the area that the player teleports into just prior to ending e2m1.

i totally did not rip off doom64 during the making of the first shot.

This is looking really great. I especially like the circular STARTAN room. You've got some amazing natural talent for mapping :D

Gotta say what others are saying, this looks really damn solid for a first map, certainly much better looking than a lot of the other 'firsts' I've seen on these forms. Keep it up and all that. :)

I think these days it's much easier to make a reasonable-looking first map if you just use a little common sense. The tools are better, there's much more information and exchange of ideas available (you hardly have to lurk these forums for five minutes to read a lot of useful map criticisms) and of course a huge body of high quality maps to play and learn from.

I think "first map" syndrome is more like "inexperienced but excitable first-time editor user who thinks what he made is so awesome that he must share it with the world" syndrome. deference obviously doesn't suffer from this.

Good gameplay is still an art form, though. Making a map that feels like a cohesive whole, and avoiding the sensation of being led through a maze from one isolated encounter to the next, is something many authors - even experienced ones - don't seem to have the hang of. I look forward to seeing how this map plays.

RjY said:

I think "first map" syndrome is more like "inexperienced but excitable first-time editor user who thinks what he made is so awesome that he must share it with the world" syndrome.

Heeeyy, my first map wasn't bad. Although this is a ton better than what I did.

A small suggestion for the skinface image you have there. Maybe make the brown1 supports hang over a little bit (like 16 or 32 units)? I think that would give that hallway a little more pizzazz. (Man, if only scrabble came with 4 Zs. I'd collect those shits and go in for the triple word score kill). Alternatively, if you did that, you could also bring the brown1 down to the floor in lieu of having overhangs. Btw, I sent you a PM. Click on 'user profile' right below the Doomworld logo to check your PMs.

That's first map 10 times. Looks like you're ready for CC4 already!

Shit man, that looks great, I'm looking forward to playing this. Did you play lots of Doom before starting mapping or do you have any design/art experience?