Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Dead Simple Question

Do you prefer to play doom in the orignal sprites/textures etc or do you like to play it jazzed up with GL and hi-resolution textures/sprites?

Original sprites, none of the 3D model versions have ever had any appeal to me.

I usually play with the original graphics (I'm certain most people here will tell you that too), but sometimes I like to play with added effects, sometimes I don't. Really just depends what I feel like at the moment.

The only hires/model stuff I will ever load is that one thing that was posted here (I forget what it was called, the first thing he posted was the marine, I think). Those look awesome, and are very faithful to the original designs.

Original Sprites and textures on all Source ports. I keep it as classic as possible even on things like Gzdoom. A 3D floor can look pretty classic if it's in the right Doom environment!

Original stuff. No particular reason, I just prefer the pixellated stuff. When I ran Obituary in PrBoom gl, I was a bit off-put at first by the smoothed sprites.

I always play with the original textures and sprites. Most high resolution textures don't fit with and look ugly in the original levels.

I've never seen a set of 3D models for Doom that looked remotely good, so I don't use 3D models. I find that high-resolution textures also look pretty awful in Doom's rather simplistic environments.

I usually just play original everything, but sometimes I like to use Hi-Res textures, HQ Sound effects and Smooth Weapons animations by Perk. Especially if I'm going to record it in a video (maybe not the textures as they can cause lag spikes). However, I used to love using 3D models but that was just a little fad. Probably used them just because they were different.

I play everything in ZDoom with all of the fun extra controls (freelook, jump, etc) disabled. JDoom looks pretty but I prefer running ZDoom like it's vanilla. I guess the 1993 pixilated graphics make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, or something.

Prefer original sprites, but rarely I check the high res textures and check them for stuff in-game. Unless the models and skins were very faithful like mentioned above, I'll stick with sprites.

I use the original sprites too mainly because the current models are inferior to the sprites imo

Sodaholic said:

The only hires/model stuff I will ever load is that one thing that was posted here (I forget what it was called, the first thing he posted was the marine, I think). Those look awesome, and are very faithful to the original designs.

You mean this? http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/54379-doom-ascension-mod-recruitment-announcements-image-heavy/

This project is indeed awesome, I can't wait to see more.

I like some OpenGL enhancements such as brightmaps; but models generally look ugly and hires textures generally don't feel right.

Voxel models are cool, though, because they're built based on the original sprites.

GL + original sprites/textures.

I'm not one for nostalgy so would switch to better looking sprites/models and textures in a heartbeat if there were such a thing.

Then again, one of the strengthes of low res is that your own imagination fills up the details in the best possible way, whereas higher visual fidelity forces a particular vision that might not fit as well.

I like to play with the detailed textures pack in jDoom, along with a couple of other minor modifications to the game courtesy of perkristian (sounds and weapon animations).

Otherwise I use the original sprites. The 3D models that are available are bleh. I'd love to see someone create high res sprites that are identical to the originals in every way. But it's unlikely that's ever going to happen.

I usually play with models, but no highres textures, I used to use the detail textures, but that resource pack somehow always disappears from my computer.

I don't care if the 3d models don't look 100% like the sprites. Sure I agree that some of the models or their textures could be better.

Gez said:

I like some OpenGL enhancements such as brightmaps; but models generally look ugly and hires textures generally don't feel right.

Voxel models are cool, though, because they're built based on the original sprites.

I thought the Doom Voxel project looked pretty cool when I originally saw the threads and the progress. After downloading the example from the project progress page, I'm quite impressed. They're almost indistinct from their originating sprites.

I keep it original, even though I will sometimes use that Half Life thing or jDoom for models, but that's rather rare.

Wagi said:

I've never seen a set of 3D models for Doom that looked remotely good, so I don't use 3D models. I find that high-resolution textures also look pretty awful in Doom's rather simplistic environments.

I don't like to play with any enhancements unless I've made them myself, but generally nothing really replaces doom in it's essence.

Gez said:

Oh yeah, the voxel models are sweet.

I was expecting a question on MAP07.

I use OpenGL, just so looking up or down isn't as ugly as crap. But other than than I keep most graphics the same as original... Except for adding the "sprites+particles" option on blood type. The sprites alone don't look anywhere near the right amount of blood.

GZDoom in GL mode, freelook, original textures/sprites only, no filtering & nowidescreen set to "true" for that old-school console look. Jumping/crouching only if the wad supports it.

Oops I forgot to mention that I do use perkristian's high quality sounds though. I've been using them for so long I forgot I had them.

Everything as close to the original as possible, including display resolution. And either OPL3 music, or none at all (just sound FX).